Uber – be aware, fee for cancelling a car?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nibbler, that’s what I did, but not on arrival, and I got some good advice from other forum members in another thread.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

MrMichael, fully agree and that’s what happened to me. 2 minutes promised and no car after 20 minutes.

I should add that UBER in their reply and crediting me, informed me a cancellation fee is automatically applied if cancelled after 5 minutes!

blend69
    Participant

After requesting, there is a time limit where you can cancel for free, after that limit ends there is a cancellation charge applied.
    I have always found it helpful to put in the destination at the point of request, the driver gets more information, and seems to be able to find passengers pick up points more easily.
    Just my experiences in London and Dubai, other cities may be different.

Charles-P
    Participant

In terms of pick up I have found it useful when using Uber to firstly be stationary for a few moments before requesting a car, this allows the GPS software to get a clear lock on your position, secondly it can be helpful to stand next to an obvious landmark such as a hotel, station, or recognised building so the driver is quickly able to find you.
    I have never yet had cause to cancel a pick up but in London I do take the arrival times with a pinch of salt.

KennyK14
    Participant

I have cancelled an Uber car a couple of times – in Moscow, and I did not charged for this. Only because the cars were unable to find me, and the drivers (understandably) did not want to call my UK number.
    Having used Uber all over the world, NY, LA, London, Wakefield(!), Melbourne, Sydney, Rome, Rotterdam, I now find the service an indispensable part of my working life. Even Surge Pricing, which I hear complained about a lot, means more drivers come onto the streets, increasing availability.

trippleF
    Participant

Use uber a lot and fortunately never had any major issues. I think the feedback mechanism is very powerful, as with tripadvisor etc

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I cancelled an Uber car in HK a while back, and was clearly notified on the screen that there could be a cancellation charge after five minutes, before I confirmed the cancellation. Fortunately I had taken screenshots when I originally called for the Uber and at the time I cancelled it, so I had all the evidence I could need to show that the car was still showing as 10 minutes away and was no nearer to me than when I called it. Fortunately, Uber didn’t make a charge. But I definitely got the message about the possibility.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just met a friend who came back from London yesterday.`He showed me an app called “Gett” which works like UBER but is for Black Cabs in London. He was very impressed and used it a lot during his stay.

navnov11
    Participant

I am based in London and use an app called Kabbee for pre-booking taxi journeys to the airports and the city, in general.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls