UA One Way Awards on Star Alliance Carriers

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

BoardTurnLeft
    Participant

UA does not allow booking one way award travel on other Star Alliance carriers -see following notice from their web-site: “You can use these awards to fly United- or United Express-operated flights only. Sorry, these awards cannot currently be used with our airline partners.”
    AA does provide one way award travel on other Oneworld carriers.
    Question: Anyone know if/when UA will offer the same option for their FF members?
    Thank you.

AsiaFrequentFlyer
    Participant

You can with SQ. Think you might have this wrong or you are on some lagacy FF card BTL!

AsiaFrequentFlyer
    Participant

Let me try to type the response in English this time! You can with SQ. Think you might have this wrong BTL. You may be on some legacy FF card?

BoardTurnLeft
    Participant

Stephen Doyle
    Thanks for your response. However, a further search of the UA web-site reinforces my original assessment of UA’s one way travel award policy: The only one way award travel options are on UA – not on any other Star Allience carriers. My goal is to book one way award travel [first class] on LH from SEA to CDG, but this does not appear to be possible with their current rules.
    Regards.

AsiaFrequentFlyer
    Participant

Dont understand. Just go to the UA website and check under redeem miles for partner airlines and you have a one way option?

BoardTurnLeft
    Participant

Indeed, you can go to the UA website and check under redeem miles; however, all flight options are UA or UA Express – no partner airline [ie. LH, SAS, AC etc.] flights are offered. The quote lifted from the UA website shown in my initial FORUM entry clearly states this condition. Never the less, I contacted UA Intl Award Reservations [1-888-674-4680] to confirm this fact … and they did. So back to my original quiry: Does anyone know if/when UA will allow Mileage Plus members to book one way award travel on their Star Alliance partners? This situation seems to work against UA, as you may book one way award travel on any Oneworld carrier with AA ff miles. Thank you.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

BTL, I suspect the answer to your question is: don’t hold your breath! It is true that some airlines do restrict award redemptions to return trips only. Here in Australia, Qantas (part of oneworld) for some years only allowed return trip redemptions. Eventually they did change this so you could get one way redemptions, but it took several years of passenger complaints. So let UA know that this is not convenient for you and request they review their policy.

Practical suggestion – does any other Star Alliance carrier codeshare on the route you want to fly? You might be able to redeem your miles with them for a one way flight.

Senator
    Participant

Hi,

As LH Miles&More member I can only redeem one-way with the airlines using M&M as the programme (LH, LX, OS, LO etc). Furthermore, it requires 75% of round-trip not 50% hence, it is not a good deal.

SAS Eurobonus offers one-way at 50%, but only on SAS Group airlines.

Air France/KLM offers 50% for one-way, only with AF/KLM.

BA offer one-way, not sure about across OneWorld or just on own metal.

One way awards are great; I don’t have enough on AF/KLM for a return to the US in business, but I have for one way. I don’t plan to spend more money on AF/KLM so I plan to fly return using BA miles.

Perhaps one way awards is the next to come after the Star Upgrade Awards across all airlines?

MarcusUK
    Participant

BMI DC were always good for the one way seats, but this for sure will be merged or changed at some stage soon with LH Miles & More.
    SQ are almost impossible to find on any route unless they use the older style cabins (Not the new Business Class), & some programs like VS Flying Club, have suspended ALL premium seats on SQ.

Star Alliance has become so varied Airlines or programs, that it really does not feel connected. You have to be very cautious & investigate carefully, which Airlines program you join in Star Alliance, no matter where you are based. This affects your ability to earn & spend, as well as reaching a premium tier level.

KLM/AF have the Promo Miles Awards each 2 months.This takes 50% off the miles needed. Houston, Dallas, LAX, Atlanta are about to come on line tomrw, for the next 2 months, enabled as one ways.
    Maybe you can use these?

I often use them either to or from Asia or Middle East especially, when i fly to Australia. It enables me to Earn & burn for my Virgin Gold card /group, as well as Skyteam, & vary my route out & back. These are always quite useful, & add to a more interesting travel experience.
    KLM From Asia or the Middle East, enable me to go via Schipol, & enter the UK via LCY, quiet a difference from LHR after a long haul flight!

AF appear to offer their Premium Economy seats now also, with less Business class seats than KLM. Always found Booking an award seat very easy, but you have to get in quickly at the start of the booking period, but a decent 2 months ahead to work to, good value at 50% off.

We are all after all, having to pay more, to earn less miles & levels, with an increase for redemptions, in the last 3 years for many programs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls