Turkish Airlines – delays and lies

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)

• Anonymous

Charles-P
    Participant

Terrible flight Monday evening to Istanbul with Turkish. Two and a half hour delay leaving Brussels, no information as to why. Blatant lie from ground staff saying that connecting flights were going to be held. Five hour overnight wait in Istanbul airport with no meal, no drink, no support. Was told all local hotels were full (they weren’t I checked). Complete indifference to the customer which became hostility after difficult questions were asked. Turkish Airlines staff more than happy to leave a scared teenage girl all alone in the airport overnight.

Absolutely appalling.

superchris
    Participant

There certainly seems to be a few incidents appearing involving TK and poor customer service. Is it inevitable given their massive growth rates and their polished advertising creating expectations which are impossible to meet?

Either way, not good reading. Ground staff will always tell you the connections will be held of course just to pass the issue on to somewhere else. I don’t think this is unique to TK.

Charles-P
    Participant

All of us that fly regularly understand that technical problems, the weather etc disrupt flights but I really do believe that it is the way an airline deals with the unexpected that shows its quality and any real commitment to customer services. In this case it was clear that for the staff at Istanbul we were an inconvenience and they simply wanted us to go away and stop bothering them.

I compare this with Emirates who when faced with a similar problem about a year ago acted in a professional manner with single women, the elderly and young families given priority. All passengers given an immediate voucher for dinner and a drink while the problem was sorted followed by local hotel accommodation being arranged with a coach to transport us all there and back.

If Turkish really do want to be taken seriously it is by dealing well with the unexpected they will establish a quality reputation. I of course will not be using them again and will advise my staff against them as well.

TominScotland
    Participant

Sounds awful, Charles – and certainly not the first issue with customer care and Turkish to appear on this Forum.

I was about to book my first flight with them: Edinburgh – Istanbul – Ankara because their fares are a fraction of others I have been able to find for a short business visit in September. Has anyone got any suggestions for routings that do not involve transitting between the two airports which, I understand, can be a nightmare in itelf? KLM offer this option with a self-transfer to Pegasus Air from Sabiha Goksen Airport for abouy £130 more than TK.

Charles-P
    Participant

I have used Pegasus in the past and they are a classic low cost easyjet style operation, fine for a short internal flight. This morning my business contact here has recommended the high speed rail network in Turkey so I will be investigating that for the future.

MartinJ
    Participant

If you are prepared to delay your trip by about five years you may find Turkish high-speed rail useful.At the moment there is just one very short line south of Ankara and a line to Istanbul that’s half-finished.

Charles-P
    Participant

I am given to understand the TGV between Ankara and Istanbul opens in 15 to 20 days.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

There’s more information on Turkish trains here:

http://www.seat61.com/Turkey2.htm#.U2jftYFdWSo

KarlMarx
    Participant

TominScotland – 06/05/2014 07:53 GMT

Don’t connect in Turkey, not even in the same airport, these people cannot organize a caleigh in a bar.

MartinJ
    Participant

Thank you Charles-P, I didn’t know the opening was going to be this soon. It seems the current Istanbul terminus will still be 25 km from the city centre – a major inconvenience. Still good news though to finally have an real alternative to air travel between Istanbul and Ankara! Can’t wait to try it.

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, KarlMarx

I think Lufthansa are the only European airline to fly into Ankara and their fare is about four times that of Turkish……

KarlMarx
    Participant

It’s vfm, trust me.

The train sounds an interesting option.

HappytobeSilver
    Participant

TominScotland

Not sure what you mean by transitting between two airports. Turkish fly from Edinburgh to Ataturk Airport where you can connect easily to an onward flight to Ankara with them. Only need to change from the international to the domestic terminal which is a short walk.

I flew from Edinburgh to Dalamann with Turkish via Istanbul last year and it was seamless. Best to buy an e-visa in advance rather than queue up on arrival at Ataturk. Only disappointment was no alcoholic drinks in domestic TK lounge. Inetrnational lounge was excellent though.

TominScotland
    Participant

HappytobeSilver

Connecting between airports shows when looking at KLM only as their partners for the domestic leg are Pegasus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls