Tumi spares

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

Does anyone know a site that has Tumi spares? My 9 year old leather wheel brief needs a wheel replacing (bearing collapsed) . Its well within my own skills to do it at my home workshop but for the life of me I cannot find replacement wheels on line. Tumi says its out of warrantee and I really don’t want to pay huge sums to ship it to germany and back (no Uk repair center) for them to charge extortionate rate for what is 6 screws and 30 mins at most.

FDOS
    Participant

Steve, have you tried an eBay search? People seem to dismantle old Tumi luggage and sell the used parts.

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

yes, there are odd ones but not the twin wheel spinners

stevescoots
    Participant

No need now, fixed myself 20 mins in the shed. Dremel, steel sleeves from one of my many tubs of junk, re-punch the axle head. Very poor quality wheel construction for such expensive luggage. Does not even have bearings on the axles, just PP plastic hubs (polymers is part of my business)

5 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

I have gone to the local Tumi store and they should be able to help you, they have me on a number of occassions

cwoodward
    Participant

Yes also a good Tumi store in HKG – they have been helpful on a couple of occasions over the years.

stevescoots
    Participant

That’s where i have bought my Tumi items including this one. they could get it repaired but approx. Approx 2000 HKD and 3 weeks which i understood as its a “brand” price but i was not going to pay that unless no choice for what i saw as less than $10 of parts. the downside of being in manufacturing is having a good idea of the cost of things. one reason i refuse to have anything from Apple 🙂

esselle
    Participant

I used TUMI for a long time, before a number of quality issues made me realise I was paying a hefty premium just for the name.

I switched to Briggs and Riley. Far better quality at about half the price.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cosmoB2012
    Participant

Interesting, I have various Tumi suitcases and cabin bags. They all got repaired various times
    and warranty was never an issue. Here in Germany I went to the local Tumi shop, they sent it to
    the repair centre and within a week it was returned by UPS completely free of charge. Even a close
    to 20 year old carry-on which I bought at an outlet in the US which had a damaged handle and wheel was repaired for free.
    Unfortunately lately their quality doesn´t match the price for new items so I started to look for alternatives, but their
    customer service was always mint.

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1368893]

No Uk repair center so it would have had to have gone to Germany for repair at my cost as well. As for quality they have for sure followed the Doc martins model of reduced durability..but increased prices

huey
    Participant

I have always followed a policy of buying my luggage at the nearest discount store, and the least expensive that I can find. Trusting a ‘good brand’ these days to produce high quality seems short-sighted. That seems to hold true for so many items, especially luggage which gets hard use.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Have to say I have been disappointed with my $400 TUMI carry on roller which replaced a £15 wheeled job from somewhere like WILKO in the UK – it made very many UK-US trips – never used it for the further afield ventures. Had to go with what was available at PHL as the other collapsed in the airport. It just does not have the layout for someone who wants stuff for a one or two week trip with no check-in and also a laptop that can easily be taken out for security.

stevescoots
    Participant

Sadly that’s true. they dont make em’ like they used to. i still stick with mid range Samsonite on hold luggage because ..well i have not bought a new one in 15 years as the airlines have always replaced them for damage. Been looking at my carry on Trolly and wont replace with another Tumi when my home made repair finally fails. looks at B&R and not keen on the layout but looking at the Zero Halliburton stuff. just need to check them out in person next time stateside

CheerUp
    Participant

I was gifted a Heys carry on, again in the mid range of things.
    It’s excellent, light, 4 wheels and incredibly nimble.

I would struggle to see the need to pay 2-3x times for a more premium brand.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Mine are usually repaired for free at the local shop, a Tumi reseller. Once my large one had to be sent to Tumi. I got a brand new piece of luggage in return. So, yes, expensive, but as far as I am concerned, good investments.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls