Tumi luggage – what’s the big deal?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

I heard a little (12 year old ) New York princess at JFK last week saying to her mother,

“I like know it’s an IPAD but is it a designer IPAD?”

3 users thanked author for this post.

GordyUK
    Participant

I’m with SenatorGold on this one . All my luggage is Tumi, and specifically the Ducati range. I’ve built my collection of 5 pieces up over as many years, just buying at the right place at the right time.

I love the fact they have a free trace & return service embedded in each piece, and you couldn’t want for more zips and clever storage.

I believe some items also have security zips so they can’t just be jabbed open with a pen, and come with TSA approved padlocks so they can be opened by US officials without damage.

I’ve never thought of my luggage as a status symbol, although I have been known to ridicule my parent’s “antler” luggage šŸ˜‰

I thought status luggage was all Louis Vuitton and the likes?

PerthWA
    Participant

I know it’s anout Tumi but I agree with many of the posters that it’s a “what”? My Delseys (especially bought on special at bed bath beyond NYC and Carrefour Dubai) survive hideous overweight packing (books books and even more books!) and come back ready to fight another day. That said, I do carry a Celine cabin bag when I want to be precious šŸ™‚

AndyL1506
    Participant

Tumi makes great luggage but comes with unwanted headaches…

I typically travel with two standard size Tumi carry on bags. These bags are on the higher end of Tumi and they look it. One was $1,295 and the other was $1,499. If for some reason I do check either of these bags they ALWAYS end up with the TSA inspection sticker on the bag tag alerting me that theyā€™ve been opened. The more expensive bag doesnā€™t have zippers and uses metal latches to close it. I canā€™t count the amount of times Iā€™ve been paged at the gate because TSA couldnā€™t figure out how to re close the bag. Every time Iā€™ve asked why it was opened to begin with Iā€™ve been given the same ā€œit was randomā€ line which is total BS.

I travel with my brother often who uses a much less expensive Samsonite bag that has never once been opened. Looking back I wish I had purchased less expensive bags but I needed the quality. Itā€™s the TSA employees more than fellow passengers we need to worry about when it comes stealing. TSA clearly can spot an expensive bag and absolutely has the opportunity to open them at will and in some cases take what they want. In my opinion itā€™s the physical bag they target and has nothing to do with what kind of priority tag itā€™s labelled with.

cwoodward
    Participant

Tumi has made no luggage for several years now the brand was purchased by a lower mid market American brand whos brand name escapes me.

Johnnyg
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006276][/postquote]

On March 4, 2016, Samsonite announced it would acquire Tumi in an all-cash transaction worth US$1.8Bn

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006276][/postquote]

So who is making the luggage that is currently being sold under the Tumi brand?

AndyL1506
    Participant

You can still purchase Tumi bags! https://www.tumi.com

SimonS1
    Participant

Tumi Holdings was bought by Samsonite in 2016.

The company ownership has changed but Tumi still makes baggage, and you can still buy it, so I don’t follow the point.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndyL1506
    Participant

The point is that Tumi does still make luggage. It simply now has a parent company.

cwoodward
    Participant

Two years ago I purchased from a Bangkok department store a tumi briefcase and a large suitcase both at a discount of 70%. The salesperson explained that this was the last of the Tumi made product range. The briefcase is doing very good service the suitcase is unused except for the trip home. The quality of both is excellent.

Late last year I was in the same department store (the woodward clan buy all of our luggage – normally Delsy from this store for the past 20 years because of the excellent pricing and extensive range) I looked at the Tumi offering out of interest and it was a totally different offering than previously and very ordinary and very like the adjacent Samsonite product in quality but with different colours,handles etc.
    As I manufacturer myself I would say that that the offering is now a mid market Samsonite with a Tumi brand

It’s Time To Say Goodbye To TUMI – It’s Not The Brand It Used To Be

TupeloKid
    Participant

I use Muji collapsible luggage. It’s durable and has all the usual bits and pieces (wheels, pockets, and so on). The suitcase (@ US$125), for example, collapses down to half of its expanded size which I find handy both in space-hungry Hong Kong and at any destination. It has a simple, functional design (with no logos).

Inquisitive
    Participant

Like any other so-called luxury products, the reason for buying those are mainly for show-off or vain and not so much for utilization quotient.

Are there better (durability and usefulness wise) bags than Louis Vuitton? Yes of course. But many people will buy that who can afford just because of brand or want to show off.

To me, Tumi does not look luxurious for the price they want. Like many travellers I buy only Samsonite and Delsey. But during my last set of trolly bag and suitcases buy, I checked out Tumi, Rimowa and Briggs and Riley as I read a lot about these. My assessment is Tumi is very overrated – the inner design, zippers, flaps, looks from distance – didnā€™t like any of these and I will not spend my money on that.
    And end up buying Samsonite lite-shock as they are really light that will help me to pack extra 2-3kg. But I really like Rimowa among all. Very likely my next luggage buy will be Rimowa.

FormerBA
    Participant

I don’t have a Tumi but if money were no object I would have one in heart beat!

I don’t know if they are robust but they do look beautiful and I am a sucker f0r beautiful looking and well made things. I certainly couldn’t see me checking one into an aircraft hold!!

Welshman
    Participant

We have Tumi both hand baggage and hold duffels. On return from long haul trip last summer the expandable part of Duffel had broken. It was 5 years old – Tumi sent me pre paid label for return and arrived back 10 days later fully repaired FOC. You may pay more upfront – although we only buy in their sales – but repairs are done without quibble!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls