Tuesday BA to Phoenix

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

• AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Marco64 – 06/06/2013 15:14 GMT

What is your agenda here?

You have produced nothing whatsoever to substantiate your safety claims beyond a reference to tatty interiors that I have experienced on other carriers who also feature in the top 30 listing cited by the Torygraph.

If your postings are to have any level of credibility, why not try and provide some serious, as opposed to anecdotal, evidence? Or just state up front that you are a member of the “any opportunity to slag off BA” tendency and we will know where you are clearly coming from.

Oh, and BTW, if “10th place is no place….” what does that tell us about a host of other ostensibly premium carriers who trade inter alia on their reputation for safety and service….? I repeat my comment: any chance of a sense of proportion here?

Cheeryguy
    Participant

So some rock stars wife tweeted that people were treated badly. I would her imagine her frame of reference is a tad off……..don’t you think?

Guest_Poster
    Participant

GrahamC – 06/06/2013 11:48 GMT

You are comparing apples and pears. The two are completely different issues.

15-20 year old 747s are unlikly to be grounded for several months due to a design fault, but may go tech at short notice due to the ravages of age.

GrahamC
    Participant

Guest_Poster “You are comparing apples and pears. The two are completely different issues.”

Exactly the same issue if your flight has just been delayed or cancelled.

Are you suggesting an A380/787 is unlikely to get tech at short notice?

Guest_Poster
    Participant

What I am suggesting is that you don’t understand the point you are making.

toonfan62
    Participant

As a fan of Nils and follower of he and Amy on Twitter the posts by Nils and his Wife were more around the chaos and lack of care given to elderly passengers when the flight was delayed almost 24 hours.

Don’t know where safety and point of reference are needed when people are witnessed being treated poorly – it happens it’s how you deal with your Customers that sets you apart. Not an uncommon public theme with BA at the moment! Not that I think they are much different to any other airline I’ve flown in this regard!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Big Dog

I’m not 100% sure about this article as BA don’t operate Aberdeen to Barcelona flights. On this basis I can’t take the article seriously – if they had said an Aberdeen to Heathrow flight then more credible – or just a case of very bad journalism!

SimonS1
    Participant

It was on a charter for Barrhead Travel I believe.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

That would make more sense

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Ah, I can just imagine the headline in the Dally Mail, Express or other red-top “journal of record” (sic) “Aircrew party poopers spoil wedding fun” should they have insisted that the wedding celebration were terminated so that they could work their rostered schedule.

Methinks that there are occasions (and this is clearly one) when a story, any story, is adduced to put the boot in on BA. They are (justifiably) damned in one breath over line maintenance failures and then damned in the next breath for taking seriously the consequences upon performance of a lack of sleep caused by the oafishness of others.

Having seen an item on a BBC TV programme demonstrating the consequences of a lack of proper sleep upon driving performance, I can fully accept that EXACTLY the same would apply to flight deck and cabin crew. I for one applaud BA (or any other airline for that matter) for taking this point seriously.

So that we are all clear on the point here, the fault lies with the wedding party and NOT with BA.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Maybe not relevant, but who tweeted ?, I have their names but have absolutely no idea who they are.

Guest_Poster
    Participant

I do not know what happened in this case, but thought readers may find some insights interesting.

The aircraft captain has the authority to delay the flight and allow extra rest under this circumstance.

When arranging accomodation, professional airlines like BA will visit and audit the hotel. This will include security (e.g. testing a number of room doors and ensuring that they close themselves and lock shut), fire procedures etc. There will normally be an arrangement to place crew in a quieter area and ensure that hotel staff do not use hoovers or do any works outside the rooms, during certain hours. Minibars may be emptied of alcoholic drinks.

Whilst I do not know what happened here, I can predict that BA will be (a) supportive of their captain’s decision and (b) unhappy with the hotel, for the inconvience caused.

toonfan62
    Participant

HKL – It was Nils Lofgren and his Wife Amy returning from Italy. Nils is (in my eyes at least) a star in his own right but he’s also a member of Springsteen’s Band.

They both do a lot of work for ex military and other charities around AZ and when he isn’t touring with Bruce he plays hole in the wall joints because “it’s fun and it’s where I started”

travelworld
    Participant

The delayed Aberdeen to Barcelona piece sounds like a complete non story to me. Whilst I’m sure that it was inconvenient for the passengers concerned, anyone with any knowledge of the industry would know that the captain acted perfectly properly in the circumstances. I’m sure that if we all look hard enough we can find negative stories about most of the world’s major airlines on most days of the week. I’d say that’s not a productive use of time…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls