TSA Precheck

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

superdons
    Participant

Upon recently leaving Orlando (MCO) we were surprised to find my two teenage children and I had unexpectedly been invited to the “lighter” TSA security pre check screening (as noted on our boarding passes), however my wife was not. She was denied access to the pre check screening line although the official was very apologetic and blamed the airline (Delta). He did however allow us to carry my wife’s carry on bag through the pre check screening X ray process. Another family in front of us in the line had a similar problem. This appears to be quite ridiculous. Anyone else had a similar problem and know whether this is a TSA or airline issue?

travelgoddess
    Participant

Not ridiculous–nothing to do with Delta, unless your wife’s BP didn’t say Precheck. Did you look? If it did,then this is the scoop: Any pax can be de-selected at any station. You should be pleased that they allowed you to take her bag.
    Airlines have no say at the TSA checks if you have Precheck on the BP.

toonfan62
    Participant

Not strictly true travelgoddess- before it became widely available (for a fee) airlines “invited” their frequent fliers to the program for free.

That said, what’s the big deal, you got an advantage she didn’t – pay her up or wait up. I have pre screen, my Wife doesn’t so I just go through the normal line with her – keeps me organized and efficient at belt, shoe and liquid removal…..- even if I do miss that breeze through….

travelgoddess
    Participant

I have Global Entry. When I paid for it a few years ago, Precheck was not in effect. So, I didn’t pay for it. When you fly as much as I do, I won’t waste my time in line. My husband has PC (thru Global Entry, as well) and we clear together. If either of us are deselected, one has to wait at the end. If you don’t get the 3 beeps, you go the other lane.
    Still had nothing to do w/airline. The beeps are TSA. Agent had no reason to apologize.

toonfan62
    Participant

Totally agree with that – though I have to say that the TSA folks at MCO “high B” are probably the most friendly I’ve seen in the US so I’m not surprised that they were polite and apologetic even to someone who obviously felt entitled…..

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I have my interview for Global Entry later this month, but haven’t been able to find out how – as a UK passport holder – I can avail myself of TSA Pre. Does anyone have any information?

My only elite status is with CX, so that presumably isn’t going to be any help at all!

Californian
    Participant

Once you qualify for Global Entry you get a card with a number on it from Customs and Border Protection. That number is your Known Traveler ID number. All US carrier websites have a place to enter that number in your reservation or you can call the reservation number and add it. Once it’s in the system your boarding pass should print as pre check eligible. Although pre check is not always guaranteed and, even when eligible, you might not always get it (but you should get it most of the time).

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Many thanks, Californian. I really appreciate the input. I had the impression that some additional application was required!

Papillion53
    Participant

Morning Ian from HKG

We had TSA pre-check recently ex FLL via ORD to LHR on AA domestic F, then TA business class.

We checked in online, didn’t print our boarding passes, so I guess in theory we checked in again at the airport. Our bps had TSA PRECHK and DOCS OK printed on them along with priority access.

Neither of us has Global Entry, I was in the US a coupe of times last year, the DH a few more. But who knows? Did we get it because of that, or was it flying AA Dom F, or airline status (I have none!), DH does; or the checkin agent pressed the right button; who knows?

I have to say it was a breeze – I think I said before on here somewhere that the TSA agents were polite, and patient with those of us who couldn’t quite believe we didn’t have to take anything off (!), nothing out of our bags including laptops, so I do hope it happens to us again! And it was straight through with no queue, whilst the regular security queue was long with the usual commotions!

Don’t know if this helps or makes it even more confusing!

Edited to add:
    Here’s a link to the TSA website

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

Edited again to add: I then clicked through to the AA.com site via the link on the TSA site and got this

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/tsaprecheck.jsp

Now I am confused, as although the DH has AAdvantage membership, he has not applied or ticked the box, as far as we know, to apply for this. I know I haven’t! Thank you Mr Gate Agent! 🙂

So it would appear that you can also apply for this via airlines FF membership, but it states quite clearly that it is never guaranteed, and in fact not all airports are offering this service.

Hope this helps,

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I suspect it came through the DH’s AA membership – which I don’t have. I have e-mailed the TSA to ask for their input and will let you know what they say

tinazen
    Participant

In modern times. there are various kinds of secure devices to provide safe environment for people. For example the security camera can be used to monitor suspicious person come and go in the office or people’s own home. Besides the metal detector also can be used to set up a security system which can be got from http://www.detectorall.com/categories/Safety-Detectors/ to ensure our safety in the daily life.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls