TSA locks for checked luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

antipodes
    Participant

I recently had the experience of having the zipper attached to the outside compartment of my Tumi suitcase ripped out ;even though it was secured with TSA approved Tumi locks. This occured at San Francisco airport and I am wondering if other travellers had similar experiences. In my case I was using the Tumi wire lock and I cannot understand why the wire was not cut instead of ripping the zipper out.
    The airline did not give a damn about how my luggage had been handled. The lock by the way was not returned

Inquisitive
    Participant

I believe the problem is your high end luggage. Probably a jealous checker. You should get compensation from the airlines you have travelled.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

When you opened your bag did you find a card inside from TSA explaining they had actually opened it? If there was no card, and no possibility that a card had fallen out, then they are probably not to blame. Regardless of that the airline should compensate.

Kentflyer
    Participant

I have had 2 bad experiences with this. I flew with Delta from WAS to NYC last year to connect with Eos back to London. My case was ripped open and I had to place a claim in with Delta for USD 800.00 of missing / stolen items !!! I have also just returned from NYC with BA and once again my locks were sawed off !! and my case ransacked. BA advised this is now a common problem (especially coming back from NYC and MIA)and lots of items go missing. (BA replaced the 2 cases with the quickest efficiency I have ever seen..) How can we trust the TSA when their staff have a free for all to steal what they want to with no come back !!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls