TSA damage

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

Just flown RDU – Ord – HKG on AA/CX and of course my case was opened by TSA, the TSA samsonite lock they have managed to damage so my combination no longer works, and they cut of the TSA additional padlock i use. Has anyone claimed from an airline for such damage by TSA? i have the proof of inspection card.

capetonianm
    Participant

I am not sure how the airline can be held responsible. I would imagine that even trying to claim from TSA would be an exercise in futility, obstruction and frustration.

On the other hand, travel insurance might cover it. Good luck.

SimonS1
    Participant

Forget it and move on. Or claim on travel insurance.

I can’t see any way the airline would shell out – why would they?

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

I’d still try especially if you have status with either airline. A few years ago, my bag came round the carousel and a wheel was missing. Though it was probably unrelated to TSA, I still contacted Delta. At the time, I was Platinum Medallion so they paid attention to me. In the end, it certainly doesn’t hurt to try with the airline and then yr travel ins.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Either the TSA lock is incorporated into the luggage, in which case a reporting is worth it and, provided it is a decent airline, it will lead to a free repair, or it is not. In the latter case, just buy a new one. Over the years, I had many lockers that disappeared during a security cleaning (often in Dubai btw) probably simply cut as it is easier than using the TSA key…

stevescoots
    Participant

Thanks, the padlock i didn’t care about but the combination is part of the case, suspected i wouldn’t be able to claim for it. Shame as this is only a few months old, a replacement from CX after they destroyed my last case

Slayeronwings
    Participant

Next time go straight to the airlines desk before exiting and show them the damage. The Montreal convention is the last word they want to hear. In any case even if TSA did the damage it was still in the hands of the airline. I got a couple of cases replaced that were damaged by the airlines flown and at first they refused, then told them about the Montreal convention and it got sorted.
    Good luck

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

I’ve been there with the TSA and when I complained was basically given the middle finger.

About two years ago I purchased a new expensive suitcase that had a ‘TSA-friendly’ combination lock. In other words the combination has a logo on it that notifies the TSA their universal tool will unlock it. Well, they just broke the lock instead. I was fuming.

I got to a point where I couldn’t understand why my checked bag was being opened for inspection so often by the TSA. 70% of the time I would get home from flights i’d worked from the USA (crew hold baggage is subject to the same restrictions as passengers unlike hand baggage) to open my case and find one of those cards the TSA leaves inside. Then I realised why. I had a clunky old laptop i’d take away with me and to save carrying it would put it in my checked bag. Ex the UK (and most places) it doesn’t trigger any further checks but ex the USA it does. If the x-ray shows a laptop in your hold luggage it triggers a secondary check.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=933528]Next time go straight to the airlines desk before exiting and show them the damage. The Montreal convention is the last word they want to hear. In any case even if TSA did the damage it was still in the hands of the airline. I got a couple of cases replaced that were damaged by the airlines flown and at first they refused, then told them about the Montreal convention and it got sorted.

Good luck[/quote]

I agree. Technically, it is the airline’s responsibility and the best way to prove it is not to exit arrivals without filing a report.

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

Some years back like a total idiot I inadvertently put my wedding and eternity ring in my checked bag…..it was searched and of course they went missing, even with the proof of search it took me months to get nowhere. They basically accused me of lying. So TSA are a no go to attempt claiming from.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls