TSA child pat downs

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Anonymous

robsmith100
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ByKOhAhsU

Ok I know this it not really business travel related but I thought it was important as I know some of you have children and may find it beneficial. I came across this by accident then did a quick search online regarding this topic and it was a bit disturbing to say the least. The TSA have been heavily criticized over this procedure as of late.

Ymelord
    Participant

I don’t see any problem with it.. If the child has nowt to hide then no issue. Often as we know, suicide bombers have been kids and terrorists have put drugs and bombs in kids handbags as they were less likely to be stopped, well, I for one would feel safer knowing everyone of every age is treated the same.

RichHI1
    Participant

Ditto

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Have to agree with you Ymelord. Sometimes my kids(8+12) get searched and I don’t have a problem with it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have no problem with being searched or children being searched, I have a serious problem though with the way the searches are carried out and being “man handled” which in any other situation would be considered an offence.

I understand the risk that suicide/homicide bombers pose and it would be ridiculous to take a more lenient approach. But with the amount of money being spent on security, scenes like the one in the video do not appear right.

RichHI1
    Participant

Any inappropriatre behaviour on behalf of security staff should be prosecuted however where they are pursuing their lawful duty then this is one instance where the children have to accomodate the world and not the reverse. Or travel by other means such as car or train for US domestic journies.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Rich, I respect what you say, but there is still a proper way to do things. A child ending up hysterical and a man having his genitals prodded is not an acceptable form of screening.

If hand luggage was rules were properly enforced that would be a very good start as the q’s would soon speed up.

RichHI1
    Participant

I would be interested to know if the parents in question talked with the child about it before hand so they knew what would happen and why? The unknown and the unexpected upset children needlessly. Maybe there is a need to increase education about these things so young children do not encounter something they do not expect.

jackfirst
    Participant

The TSA is who needs to be educated! They should use common sense in singling out whom to pat down.

Ymelord
    Participant

The TSA do an amazing job keeping the USA and other country’s safe … People need to accept that in the world today security is needed… In fact, based on other countries I fly to the US is very resnable at the level it uses.
    RichHI1 has a very valid point, if a child was educated to know what to expect, then they may not cause such a scene, also, if the child is not an attention seeker, this helps.
    I was once ” man handled ” by a security person in DXB but when it came to complaining ” no one else saw the incident so was my word against his… And I am quite surprised that this was allowed to be a) put on YouTube b) filmed in 1st place… As if you see the signs around the area it is forbidden.

RichHI1
    Participant

Maybe I am a cynic but the fact the guy was a journalist and it looked like a stunt to boost ratings… I agree with you, it is a criminal offence to use a camera in security area and when they broadcast the cellphone video, the reporter should have been prosecuted. But they won’t as it just makes a bigger story for the TV News. I think TSa do a fantastic job, there are some bad apples sure but the majority are first class and my view is this was staged by the TV company to get ratings.

Ymelord
    Participant

I totally agree RichHI1

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The major difference between the USA and UK is that the USA have a dedicated department who look after security. In the UK we have third party contractors and adverts on the BAA web site for part time security guards and short term contracts, “would suit students”.

I agree about educating children from an early age, as well as educating passengers about hand baggage and protocol.

I just cant get this out of my mind from when I first read it:

“We spend $7.4 billion a year to keep aviation secure but our passengers only see hassle,” said Giovanni Bisignani, IATA’s Director General and CEO.

“Passengers should be able to get from curb to boarding gate with dignity. That means without stopping, stripping or unpacking.”

Its beginning to look like just another gravy train….

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Agree with Martin – have no problem that the searches take place, its just the way they do them sometimes leaves a little to be desired!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls