Tried any other tablet computing devices?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

ChinaEddie
    Participant

Just starting a thread to see if anyone here have experienced other old/current/new table style computing devices?

Just to share, I have used Thinkpad’s X60 (with a turn-around screen that’s touch sensitive) some years ago – not to impressed with it. Then recently tested out an iPad (much better, with innovative apps).

Looking forward to some of the other tablets-style computers annouced. Android-based does comes to mind.

Great for consumers to have choices.

Hi ChinaEddie,

Here’s a lengthy thread on the iPad and its various virtues, however the Forum might like to discuss other types of tablet, like the swivelling screen variety (the X60), or the Archos 101.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/iPad-What-Do-You-Think

Archos is giving away one of its Android-powered 101s, please see our competition section.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/competitions

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I bought a 35€ iPad look alike that runs Amdroid, from eBay.

Obviously, for 35€, it is not going to be as good as an iPad, but it is great for reading the newspapers, looking at BT etc.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I use a Fujitsu T900 tablet running XPTE. Prior to the T900 I used the predecessor T4220. What sets this tablet machine apart from the other tablet offerings is that Fujitsu have a very clever arm that allows the screen to move in either direction. I believe that this has a patent. There is no other tablet computer available where the screen moves in both directions. The usefulness of this is that when presenting 1 to 1, you don’t have to worry which side your client sits as the screen can be conveniently moved left and right.

Where the Fujistu works for me:

• Superb presentation laptop, big screen

• My two main offices outside the UK are Bangkok and Orlando and both have Fujitsu service centers within a 5 minute drive and both are more than happy to service my lap tops same day with minimum of fuss. My UK office is near to Reading where the Fujitsu offices are – I wish I could praise the UK division as highly as I praise the overseas offices, but comparing the service I have received in the past in the UK compared to Bangkok and USA is like chalk and cheese. The UK has no interest in its customers

• In tablet mode, you truly can work paperless. Using the screen as a notepad, file all the notes, it allows me to be totally paperless.

• The T900 is one of the last lap tops with a built in sim card slot. So no need for a USB dongle for the sim card.

• Battery life is good enough to view a film in tablet mode. However, with more and more aircraft offering in seat power this is not such a big issue.

• I have a very high end spec which enables fast processing speeds and includes a SSD instead of a moving hard drive. USB connections are not a problem – all in all in either tablet or normal mode, its an excellent machine.

Where the machine fails for and I then use my fantastic IPAD

• Its heavy to carry

• Its much slower to turn on than the IPAD

Depending on the kind of day I am having will depend on whether I use the IPAD or Fujitsu. For purely presentation days, i.e. little or no data input, I take my IPAD. If I have a day of presentations, but I know I have loads of emails and reports to write, then the Fujistu comes with me. On overseas trips, I will take both.

ChinaEddie
    Participant

Thanks, Admin.

Late last year at a IT Show, I tested out a Linux based tablet – JooJoo…pretty good start-up time, wider screen and a few other features that makes it a good tablet. However, have not heard much press on it since.

Love to have an Archos to play with. 🙂 Played with a smartphone Android, and liking that… have yet to try out tablet-size Android, and can only imagine/guess how that extra space (and electronic-chip real-estate) can be put to good use.

Anyways, will be visiting some more trade shows in north east Asia late this year and early next yr. Will post more. Cheers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls