Travelling for business – what do you get up to in the evening?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

BORE ALERT ( for long term forum members)

My biggest regret wasn’t grasping the moment whilst I was away , I tend to have a “Why Not” gusto attitude rather than a “Why?” reluctance !

The consequence of that behaviour is that it makes you quite insipidly selfish. Living in the moment far away , you don’t realize how your 95% of BAU tedium is being dismissed by those you leave behind , because all they hear is the 5% of fun that becomes exaggerated by you in their mind . Add in the resentment, that they’ve developed because you’re not there to mediate the kids continual petty battles.

Sadly, my biggest regret was carrying on in the same mindset whenever I returned home. Cramming a week of missed love and life into a intensified weekend . And being so wrapped up in my own social & dare I say lustful needs I didn’t pick up on her (now clear) signals of unhappiness until it was too late ! ——Hard to save a relationship when you’re at the other end of the country !!

For those new readers of the forum, my advice is simple ….. Learn from the above, women are not the same as us. Take K1ngston & Martn’s advice ……..

[quote quote=997481]Having said that what goes on tour stays on tour,[/quote]

Just remember…
    A drunken night out with colleagues in Edinburgh, visiting the plushest bars finishing the night off throwing money away like a drunken sailor in a less than salubrious establishment to your woman is heaven , compared to you relating a story of a convivial night out with colleagues in a Brentford spit & sawdust pub hell !

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

What is happening to my postings on this thread?

David
    Participant

Whenever i travel to a new destination for business I always try and add on a couple of days so that I can explore the location more.

I travel quite extensively and in the past I have travelled to the same city 4 or 5 times and realised that other than conducting my business meetings there, I have seen very little of the place and never really experienced the culture or the sights.

Now I make it a priority to spend time sightseeeing, and getting to know the city, as understanding the local culture and it’s values plays an important part of building my business relationships.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Though I make less business trips than I used to in the past, and in the past we did not have the “luxury” if you can call it that, of wifi / internet.
    I was / am fortunate that i have a good network of friends and acquaintances in many parts of the world, so meeting up and having a dinner together is one way to enjoy my stay. It also gives me the chance to experience new places with local knowledge rather than well trodden tourist trails.

Otherwise, in the past it would be local television + CNN and sometimes SKY news or BBC News, magazines which I’d bring with me and books. Today it’s TV via my tablet, as well as Netflix and Prime, books and magazines with Kindle, SCRIBD and Zinio. FT epaper and BT mag all on tablet etc. Spoiled for choice. And if i can’t be bothered to read, then it’s Two Dots, Solitaire, Scrabble and Sudoku and Battleships which I can even play with my son halfway across the world!

If I go out to explore I’ll hire a local guide and always use a car and driver in the Middle East and Asia. Otherwise it’s walks, lounging by the pool, using the Exec lounge and that’s about it. In fact with all that it’s surprising there’s any time left to conduct any business 😉

3 users thanked author for this post.

n166
    Participant

Thanks to everyeone for your replies – great to hear your experiences whilst travelling on business. Sounds like some of you have had some particularly colourful experiences!

I am also conducting short interviews to obtain more detailed feedback on my idea, so if anyone is interested in participating, please let me know!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I almost always travelled alone, and it largely depended for me on where I was and whether I had been there before. And also, how jet-lagged I was!

In Europe or the Far East, I would almost always go out for a meal and then walk around the streets people-watching. Eating in the hotel restaurant was a last-resort! In the US, I would usually eat in though, and then watch sport on the TV – I am a sucker for US sport, especially baseball. In Africa, I would eat in and then read a book: my travels took me to some less than safe places and this was the best option (though even that didn’t always work, and I do recall being approached by a prostitute in one hotel … in the corridor outside my bedroom on the 4th floor of a 4-star hotel!)

In Latin America I would try to end up in a bar, both because I love Latin American culture and people, and because I speak some Spanish and was always hopeful of practising it (South America is one of the few places left where one cannot guarantee people speak even a little English).

But my favourite destination was Iceland, and there I always hired a car (it’s a convenient way to get to the city from the airport too, as otherwise there are only expensive and not terribly convenient coaches, or taxis which cost an extraordinary amount). And in summer, there were frequently 4 or more hours daylight still after dinner, so I would drive far into the countryside. It is a spectacular country, and one gets out of the city quite fast. And in winter one could always hope to see the Northern Lights when one was away from the city lights.

ASK1945
    Participant

Cedric wrote:” ……………….. I do recall being approached by a prostitute in one hotel … in the corridor outside my bedroom on the 4th floor of a 4-star hotel!)”

In the 1970s, as a sideline from my main business, I organised small conferences for professionals in 4 and 5 star hotels around the UK. As such, My wife and I were frequently offered a free night’s stay in these hotels prior to booking them, so that we could check the facilities.

We stayed one night in what is now the Ramada at LHR, but was then run by a completely different group. I left my wife in our bedroom to go and get ice from the ice machine down the corridor, to be approached a “lady of the night” who asked me if I was lonely and wanted company. I told her that it would be it bit crowded in the room – “You, me and my wife”. “Oh, that’s fine” she replied. “Many of the clients staying here prefer it with three”.

I didn’t take her up on this – and yes we did book the hotel – but once we had established that these “ladies” were no longer resident there, of course. Yes, I was a spoilsport.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=998325][/postquote]

Many years ago I checked into the hotel adjacent to KLIA (Pan Pacific?)

Opening the door to my room, I realised something was not right; in a split second I noticed a (rather large) lady in the bath, and a (rather large) gentlemen naked on the bed reading a book.

I retreated hastily and went back to reception to explain the problem. They nonchalantly changed my room, and I was left wondering if this was something they came up against a lot.

capetonianm
    Participant

This brings back some mammaries … err …. memories.

The ‘ladies of the night’ are ever present and you never know who is watching you. In Madrid I lived close to a big hotel which always had a couple of them hanging around, 24/7, rain or shine. They used to ‘solicit’ me and I smiled and walked on. When they realised I lived in the area they would ask me for money for a coffee or cigarette, and I would put my hand in my pocket and give them any change I had.

One night I got a taxi home from the airport and refused to pay the outrageous fare that the licensed bandit behind the wheel wanted (5 times the correct fare which I knew as I did the journey at least twice a week. I told him to take me to the police and discuss it there. He dragged me out and pinned me against a wall. Instantly I saw two very large and nasty looking men approaching and thought my days were over. Instead, they grabbed hold of him, half flung and half kicked him back into his taxi, and threatened him. They then turned their attention to me, asked me if I was OK, and walked me to my door. They told me they were the ‘pimps’ for the girls and knew I was always polite and respectful to them, even if I never made a purchase!

In Warsaw I stayed in a Marriott for a few weeks and got a bit irritated with the knocks on my door in the small hours of the morning. These were not the pretty young beauties that sat in the bar in the evening, these were the desperate old dogs of the pre-dawn.

When I checked out the Duty Manager asked me if I’d enjoyed my stay and I mentioned the problem. He assured me he’d talk to the night staff to prevent it, and offered me an upgrade to a suite for my stay the following week. I asked him why he thought a suite would make the situation any better.

Reply : “Probably no Sir, girls will ask for more money because you in more expensive room.”

Accra forgotten name of hotel.
    Went up to my room, opened it with the key, and there is a rather large and very black lady spreadeagled on my bed. She may have been wearing black underwear or she may have had nothing on, I didn’t look too closely.

She saw my look of surprise and she said, in beautiful English, : “I am here for your pleasure Sir, should you wish to avail yourself of the opportunity.”

I didn’t.

Moscow
    I’ve forgotten the hotel name but it was one of the best ones. Late afternoon I was in the bar reading a newspaper and a lady who would have been pleased to see 60 again, approached with ‘hello, vot is name’.
    I said ‘Robert’ and carried on reading.
    ‘So Robert, you here for fun or business.’
    ‘Good, you vunt make fun wiz me in room, also is business’.
    I acted dumb and pretended not to know what she meant, but she pointed to her rather obvious ‘assets’ to use the Daily Mail word, made a lascivious gesture with her mouth and tongue, and said : “For nice young boy like you is only $600”
    I told her with a smile that there was no way I could find $600 and if I could I would expect Claudia Schiffer’s prettier younger sister for a week.
    “So zen I zink you vill sleep alone tonight. Goodnight Robert.”
    Sigh of relief.

A couple of days later I walked through the bar, and heard somebody calling : “Robert, Robert … hello Robert.”
    As it’s not my real name it took a minute for the penny to drop, and I turned round and said hello.
    “Zo tell me Robert, do you find ze Claudia Schiffer sister.”
    “No, sadly not.”
    “As you see, I am still available.
    She probably still is, for all I know!

At the Sheraton Brussels Airport, about 30 minutes after I’d arrived, mid-afternoon, knock on the door, elegant well dressed middle aged lady standing there, with a clipboard in her hand. I assumed she was housekeeping or management, but she asked me if I’d be interested in visiting a ‘club’ later on and handed me a printed sheet of paper with details, photographs of the ladies, and pictograms of the various services offered. She then handed me vouchers for a free drink and a taxi ride to and from the establishment.

I can’t report on the establishment because I didn’t go. Remarkably, given that it was Brussels, I found something better to do. It involved food and beer.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=998328][/postquote]

Brilliant!!

In the bar of (I think) Grand Hyatt Hong Kong quite late for a cognac and cigar with a work colleague. Two of the least attractive ladies of the night near to our table made it obvious they wanted our attention, to the point where it became both uncomfortable and infuriating.

My colleague, a 6’ 4” former second row forward (and I used to play prop) said, “the only way out of this if for us to hold hands”. We duly did, and they left a very few moments later.

SimonS1
    Participant

Luckily having done the same places around Africa and ME for years I have friends as well as customers, but I do generally enjoy my own company in the evenings.

I was in Zim about 2 years ago staying in one of the Cresta hotels. I remember it well as it involved a day trip to Bulawayo on Air Zim on their ancient 737.

Due to the crippling economics the hotel on my evening return was on about 20% occupancy and at the long hotel bar on a Friday night were 3 people – me, an older guy who was sound asleep and a hooker sipping coke at the other end. The old bloke woke up and left, and the hooker eventually jacked it in too. At 8.30 I was the only one left so they suddenly closed the bar and suggested I drank in my room instead.

Johnnyg
    Participant

In 91 /92 a colleague and I went to a conference in Frankfurt, the hotel we stayed in had a small car park at the rear with another car park and bar behind it. The corridor overlooked these. One evening I got a knock on the door. My colleague asked me if I had noticed a campervan by the side of the bar and to watch it for a while, sure enough as a ‘patron’ exited, the lady, and I use the term loosely, would beckon another one in. The following evening he gleefully informed me they must be making a fortune as they were charging €40 a time. I didn’t ask how he knew.

capetonianm
    Participant

A funny story I remember. I was in Kiyev with a colleague, nice chap but very odd sense of humour. We had to stay in a hotel in a rather grim industrial area near the airport. We went for an awful dinner at a restaurant next door to the hotel, while we were having dinner he needed to go to my room to get something from his luggage that he’d dumped there. We had dinner, a few beers, and went back to our respective rooms. When I pulled back the bed cover to get ready for bed I noticed rather unpleasant looking brown marks on the pillow. Not too close examination revealed that it was just melted chocolate. He’d taken the chocolate off the pillow, melted it on the radiator, and smeared it on the pillow as a ‘joke’. I did say he was odd.

I had noticed that across the road from the hotel was a ‘Bar/Klub’, in other words a brothel. As I was still dressed, I went across, ordered a beer, got chatting to a couple of the ladies, who would have made the Moscow one look like Miss World (1965), and accepted the offer of one who I think had a couple of teeth, to come to my room. I gave her my colleague’s name and room number ….. and had to pay a small ‘security’ deposit, which was well worth it for the blasting he gave me the next morning. I found it hard to keep a straight face at work every time I caught his eye. For some reason he never wanted to go on another business trip with me.

K1ngston
    Participant

I see the discussion has moved on a little 🙂 we all have had experiences of being approached by “ladies of the night” In Hanoi there is the Sheraton Hotel and I was minding my own business down at the bar before meeting some colleagues and I was approached by a very attractive female who started a conversation with me, and it wasnt long before she got round to asking me if I wanted to use her services for the night, which I graciously declined but she was very persuasive. I tried to tell her that I was just not interested and she kept on insisting until I made the point that as a gay man I am just not interested. Without blinking she retorted “I am that good if you close your eyes you will not know the difference”

Having almost choked on my beer I laughed and left thinking that if I ever need a local sales person she would make a great choice 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Why they’re called ladies of the night , I’ve no idea !!
    Although in my case , its probably because daylight makes them invisible to my naïve eyes.

On the Kenyan Coast , sunbathing around the pool I mention to my blonde girlfriend how enlightened it was to see so many mixed marriages about.
    Her riposte , aligned with her facial Tourette’s that screamed , how stupid are you ……. “ They’re not their wife’s “

In Minsk, staying at the plushest (in the 70’s maybe) hotel, we arrived mid-afternoon just before the Scotland team , who were also staying there along with the inevitable entourage …. The team arrived to much fanfare , kilts adorned we celebrated by heading to the now busy bar…..
    “ Aren’t the locals friendly , gorgeous and overly excited by our kilts “
    My mates riposte….. “ It’s not your charming wit they’re after you expletive goat”

On another Scotland trip , a friend even more naïve than me , became absolutely smitten with a statuesque beauty , couldn’t keep his flirtive eyes of her propping up the bar. A few very large holiday cocktails later his own cocktail could resist no longer , and off he went to conquer his Everest , Adam’s Apple and all. —- “ Hasn’t he noticed ? “ was the bemused drunken chat . A quick photo for prosperity taken from a distance (evidence) for much mickey taking later on.
    The statuesque beauty with the hands of a prop forward , clearly wasn’t impressed with our lustful slavering pal, and had ditched him by the time they got into the lifts !!
    Enter my mate who demanded a condom from somewhere.

Next morning and my paracletic pal wakes from his coma slumber, not remembering anything , and definitely couldn’t understand why he was now sharing his bed with a rather used slimy condom .
    He recoiled in horror at the “Evidence” and was rather withdrawn for the duration of the day, as the rest of us kept mum.
    Eventually we put him out of his misery when my pal grabbed a condom ,blew it up, spat (gobbed) into it and then with the biggest cheekiest smile ever said “Look familiar”

An explosion of anger, laughter and mostly relief from my hapless pal.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls