Traveller fun – ridiculous complaints made by holidaymakers

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• Poshgirl58
    Participant

Dan-Air certainly had a varied fleet, never had the pleasure or otherwise of flying with them. My memories of BAC 1-11 were the BEA/BA ones that were climbing over my house on the way to Scotland and coming home from Corfu on Airways International Cymru (they were cheap – no ovens, no jackets for cabin crew). Don’t worry about your fetish Mr Michael, I got a really good feeling watching the new EK departure from BHX climbing over Asda’s carpark last Saturday morning.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice one G&T.

Not exactly a complaint, but I remember one Christmas in the 60’s there was a film or documentary showing the Niagara Falls. My Grandmother remarked how awful it must be for the residents hearing the noise of the falls day and night. I replied that it was fine, as they turn them off at night and she actually believed me!

Charles-P
    Participant

LuganoPirate – you were not that far off !

While they don’t “turn it off” at night, the water flow during the evening is substantially less then during the day.

The reason for that is that besides being a tourist attraction, Niagara Falls is also a major power generating facility with plenty of pen stocks and water diversion pipes and tunnels to get the water to the power generating stations (you can see them downstream from the falls) .

At night, because there are less tourists and nobody would really care or even notice, they do tend to divert more water through the power plants and therefore there is less to flow over the falls. They are not “turned off” and are certainly much more then a trickle but they do have less water going over them and more going to the generating stations.

NTarrant
    Participant

Good one G+T, Dan Air Comet 4B my first flight. Did LGW-ZRH early 80’s and they were quite good.

I was on a BA flight MAN-LGW some years ago and as we approached LGW from the west one could see the Surrey Hills shining in the sun light from the window. I was in 2A, woman in 2C to child in 2B, “look there’s the white cliffs of Dover”, I replied”I hope not as it would mean we are landing in France and not Gatwick” “well what is it then” she replied quite stroppy, to which I explained they were the Surrey Hills. She turned to child and said “well there you are, that’s your history lesson for the day”! Much to the amusement of people in the rows in front and behind.

inthesandpit
    Participant

Carajillo2Sugar
    In the Mid / Late 80s I remember being a Gatwick Handling dispatcher and handling both the charter and sceduled flights of DANAIR it was like chalk and cheese. Ill never forget the 336 seat A300 used on charter services.
    A few years later I had entered the portals of ATC and remember ATC often being asked by DA Flight Deck if they could reduce speed (on a 146 from AMS) as the crew had not finished the ‘class Elite’ service.
    I experienced this Class Elite quite a few times and to me it was the best at least in Europoe – and DAN were always so kind to ATC staff :-).

My best recollection of overhearing fellow travellers comments was by a couple from the former Virginia Colonies who expressed concern when stood outside the Palace of Westminster that the real buildings in London were not as good as the original film sets in LA

ASK1945
    Participant

About 20 years ago, my wife and were upgraded from Economy to Business, in a BA 747 flight from Vancouver to London, because the flight was overfull.

As we were walking away with our boarding passes we were called back, to have the passes taken off us and fresh ones given – downgrading us back to Economy, because I had a special meal ordered. No amount of protesting that I would forgo the meal had any effect.

We sat down nearby and shortly afterwards the old couple behind us in the Economy class check-in queue sat down next to us. We heard the woman say to her (presumably) husband “I don’t think you should have accepted these new business seats, they might not be as good. Go back to the desk and ask them if we can have our old seats back”.

MrMichael
    Participant

@ NTarrant – 12/08/2015 19:02 BST

Interesting story about the lady, but I am sure we have all had similar experiences. Too many people like this lady are poorly educated and seem to delight in it. Rather than being pleased they learnt something that day, they get the needle purely because someone more knowledgeable than them has corrected their error. I absolutely detest the type.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Inthesandpit, I remember being told the story (likely apocryphal) of an American who managed to break an old vase. The manager of the establishment expressed shock and said “sir, that vase was over a hundred years old”. Well that’s a relief he replied, good job it wasn’t a new one!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Well Charles, I guess the laugh was on me then. My old Grandma will chuckling in her grave now 😉

FaroFlyer
    Participant

A couple of months ago I was in the lounge at Faro waiting for a BA flight and an elderly couple were seated nearby. She turns to him and asks if easyjet have Club class? Husband turns to her and says “Pretty sure they don’t, but I’m not certain about Ryanair. They may.”

NTarrant
    Participant

You are so right MrMichael

Andrew66
    Participant

Like the BA.COM and bacon !!
    Always remember hearing a tourist being totally wowed by how clever the Egyptians were in having a McDonalds so close to Luxor Temple , I just replied , oh they’re not that clever they forgot to build one when making the Valley of Kings but I’m sure they remembered when doing the Pyramids !

conshaldow
    Participant

I have to admit to one such event in the office that was completely (almost) my own fault and shall never live it down for as long as I shall live!

Customer contacted me to book a hotel in Cardiff for himself and Bill Back (I stress the capital letters there). So I process to book two rooms for Guest X and Guest “Bill Back”…

Knowing fine well myself that “bill back” is the term for any charges to come back to ourselves rather than be settled direct.

Thankfully my customer took it in good heart and the hotel was refundable at the time, but I took some ribbing in the office that day.

Never again.

esselle
    Participant

Just stepped off a flight having overheard a fellow passenger ask a crew member if it was OK to use the toilet whilst the plane was still on the ground.

Memories of Hale and Pace’s “Yorkshire Airways”

penfold69
    Participant

Great Thread!

About 10 years ago I worked in airline reservations and was confirming a booking for a customer. It had been a busy day, and when I was phonetically spelling the name back…. ” So that’s C- Charlie, O – Oscar, C- Charlie, K- Kilo, S- Serria….the lady says….errr no, It’s spelt C O X!” I have never been more embarrassed, but thankfully the lady saw the funny side and we both managed a chuckle.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls