Travel Tips

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

newstu9
    Participant

If you’re traveling abroad, the following tips I found very helpful.

1) If you don’t NEED to rent a car, DON’T. Gas, parking, time driving, etc. can be very inconvenient and expensive (especially in NYC). Places like that were public transportation is pretty good. USE IT. But if you do need a car, companies such as Hertz and Avis usually have deals, but you need to look around and sometimes call and ask.

2) Check around for guide books for the location you’re going to. “Happenings” books and other types of guides have tons of informationa, ideas, and some hav coupons on locations and activites.

3) Look for people renting their apartment short term, weekly/monthly. Sometimes they are better deals that hotels. (Ideal for places like Manhattan)

4) Renting mobile phones is helpful, usually better deals than SIM cards in the long run, (plus incoming call are free). Companies like Talk’n’Save, which have good reputations have been very useful and helpful.

5) Network with friends who have been there or live there (the location you’re going). They can provide places to visit that the guides sometimes leave out. Places that are worth visiting but are not so “touristy”.

6) Don’t take so many pictures that you don’t live the experience.

These are just some tips which I find useful for myself.

Happy Travels

claudia77
    Participant

These are good tips, I follow most of them when I travel. If you don’t want to buy a guide book you can find a lot of decent city guides online that give you up to date information. I always try to contact friends I know in the area, even if I don’t know them well- they are good resources and can show you a more ‘local’ experience. I also like the tip about not taking too many pictures- what is important is not how many pictures you have to prove you went somewhere or show off, but what matters more is the experience you got out of it, and the stories you can tell!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls