Travel Insurance

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Bigfoot
    Participant

Being insured with Saga for travel insurance was a sound move, or so I thought. Here’s a timeline of events in respect of my claim:

April 24th – claim acknowledged
    June 8th – Royal Mail confirm delivery of my claim to Saga which included a copy of a flight ticket, evidence of cancelled hotel reservations, etc.
    June 17th – Saga confirm receipt of my claim which they received on June 8th
    July 22nd – Saga request the information they received on June 8th
    July 23rd – Saga acknowledge my formal complaint

SimonS1
    Participant

And?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

An ongoing Saga

6 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

I wonder whether the underwriters for Saga are the same as those for my own insurance (RBS Travel)?

My own experience was a claim initiated beginning of March (for medical, not Covid reasons). All relevant travel and medical evidence supplied three weeks’ later (and acknowledged). Requested again by the insurance company 6 weeks’ after that – and yet again four weeks later.

Formal complaint made by me end of June, when I was advised that claim would take four weeks’ longer to be assessed. The complaint dealt with immediately, upheld within a week, payment in full made a couple of days later, and compensation (of three figures) – which had not been requested – was paid two days after that.

Beginning to end – just over 4 months.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Unfortunately the FCA register is being updated over the weekend so can not access to see exactly, which part of SAGA is regulated as the website does not show an FCA number.

What is interesting is under the complaints section of SAGA, it has all the correct FCA complaints notifications, advising you how to complain and the timings to expect in relation to making a complaint.

However, it also says that complaints about claims, should be referred to the underwriter – is this a separate company to SAGA and is it regulated with Ombudsman referral rights.

https://www.saga.co.uk/making-a-complaint

A separate tab shows Complaints Data – https://www.saga.co.uk/complaints-data

1 in 3 complaints into SAGA Services Ltd, UPHELD… that seems high, but does it include complaints about claims.

What is not clear is whether your complaint will be dealt with by SAGA SERVICES LTD or the underwriters or indeed what the regulatory status of the underwriters is, if it is a separate company.

Travel insurance still appears to be sold based on cost, glossy brochures and people saying what a good deal a policy may offer, without buyers looking into benefits and claims history….

I hope what ever caused you to claim that you remain fit, well and healthy…

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I had a very similar issue with Staysure over a claim for lost flights due COVID. I put my claim in the same day FCO advised against travel, after a similar experience to Bigfoot I politely shamed then on Twitter. Had an immediate response and Got my claim settled within a week after. I have huge sympathy for the employees and the huge demands there currently under, but nearly 4 months to settle claims is poor.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I believe the issue with Saga is the firm Saga Services Limited are registered with the FCA 311557. So when the firm suggests they are ‘regulated’ that is indeed correct.

However, claims against the policy appear to be outsourced to a third party firm, whose regulatory status is unclear (or I have missed it in the small print). In other words, complaints about the policy are dealt with SAGA, under FCA rules, however, it appears unclear whether complaints about claims MUST BE or are VOLUNTARILY dealt with under the rules of the FCA.

When buying travel insurance you need to check both the firm selling the policy and the claims handling firm who will manage any claims.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls