Travel Credit Cards

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Good round-up on Money Saving Expert – with links that presumably earn commission, but I think the advice is independent.

Travel Credit Cards

* Top travel credit cards
    * Ending. Halifax – no spending fee & £20 back
    * Barclaycard – no ATM interest if you pay in full
    * Tandem – no spending fee plus 0.5% cashback
    * Aqua – easier-to-get plus 0.5% cashback

* Top travel debit cards
    * Starling – fee-free spending & cash wdls
    * Monzo – fee-free spending worldwide

I have the Barclaycard one, and also one by MBNA I was offered when the Etihad credit card came to an end (though I’m not sure that one is widely available).

The main advantages are the avoidance of the non-sterling transaction fee and cash withdrawal fees – even better if you can withdraw cash on credit and then pay no interest if you pay the bill off at the end of the month.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Tom

A very timely thread for me as I need to change my travel cash card. I currently use the Post Office card for a couple of reasons. Easy to load, same card carries the 4 main currencies I use and been using it for around 4 years and never thought of changing. However, I am just noticing the fees appear to be creeping up and up. I know there are several alternatives and hoping that this thread will bring the alternatives into the open. The cash card is really useful as it works in ATM’s and negates the need to get currency before I leave the UK.

As far as credit / charge cards, I tend to keep to the Amex plat card, which I know is expensive. I have confidence with Amex that if anything goes wrong, (for example hotel in Edinburgh, removing money from my card unwarranted), the team at Amex are easy to speak to and solve billing problems quickly. Also get the benefit of Amex travel insurance, although at the moment having a ding dong with Axa claims who handle the Amex insurance claims, who are about as useful “as a pork chop at a bar mitzvah…”

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, I have the Amex platinum card, which has lots of benefits, but of course isn’t accepted everywhere, and is a charge card, and also charges that non-sterling transaction fee. Good benefits, though.

capetonianm
    Participant

Worth mentioning Nationwide. After 45 years with a NatWest MC their card division has got worse and worse to deal with, so I recently opened an account with Nationwide. They have a range of Dr. and Cr. cards, many of which do not attract a fee for purchases outside the GBP zone.

Comparisons here :

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/travel/fees-charges#xtab:foreignCash

handbag
    Participant

Lloyds do an Avios Card. Amex and Mastercard, costs either £15 or £20 per yer, cant remember exactly. Get a free upgrade voucher after certain amount of spend and get Avios points for all purchases.

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

@handbag, I too have lloyds Avios master and amex. No foreign transaction fees and Avios accrued on both… HOWEVER… this product is no longer available, and I think when your cards expire that will be it sadly. I found this out by chance, lloyds have never told me.

canucklad
    Participant

Not a credit card……But my pal rabbits on about the Revolut Card. Or rather App. Possibly worth a look ?

mkcol74
    Participant

Amazed there wasn’t a mention of Curve

You link your existing (points or cashback earning) card to it. Use it overseas, get charged in the local currency to the Curve card which then bills your UK card in Sterling.

There are plenty of other benefits but I’ll let you explore them yourself. And I won’t even post my referral link!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I did get one of those but I think at the time it didn’t work with Android so I’ve got it at the back of a drawer somewhere.I will look at it again.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

HSBC Premier cards do not charge foreign currency transaction fees. They are normally Mastercard, so accepted widely.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=885329]HSBC Premier cards do not charge foreign currency transaction fees. They are normally Mastercard, so accepted widely.[/quote]

I also have the Premier cards and benefit from that Alan. When I use my Amex I have to pay a 3% transaction fee on non swiss payments which irks.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=885326]I did get one of those but I think at the time it didn’t work with Android so I’ve got it at the back of a drawer somewhere.I will look at it again.[/quote]

Definitely work with Android @Tom-Otley although you can’t link an AMEX to them.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=885305]Not a credit card……But my pal rabbits on about the Revolut Card. Or rather App. Possibly worth a look ?[/quote]

In another thread on here, a few weeks ago, I extolled the virtues of my Revolut Mastercard, which I use outside of the UK for ATM cash withdrawals, and where my Black BA Amex card is not accepted, but Mastercard is.

I still use my Amex though, when this is accepted because, like Martyn Sinclair, I appreciate the service Amex offers when something goes wrong. It’s worth the small extra cost.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here’s that thread

Credit Card Charges – Fees for Transactions abroad (but in own Currency)

2 users thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I have the Duo (Amex and Mastercard) Avios cards from Lloyds, but they’re reducing (although they don’t call it that, of course) the Avios earned on them, in a couple of months. Bah. Well, it’s been a good run.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls