Transpennine First

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Thank you. Got First seats booked on both trains.
    Shame I can’t get Virgin or East Coast to do any good prices for my dates, but nothing I can do about it – I’ve exhausted myself looking at different routings via York etc., so let’s go with this.

malbarda
    Participant

The Transpennine Express is a HUGE rip-off. I live in the US and travel between Stamford, CT and NY Grand Central a couple times per week. This journey costs around $ 21 return in standard class (there is no first). I can sit and the new trains offer plug points throughout. There is no wifi (yet). Depending on what train you catch the journey can take an hour and 10 minutes (local train) to 50 minutes (express).

I travel the Transpennine Express about 10 times per year from Manchester Airport to Leeds to connect to a local service to Harrogate. This journey takes about 1 hour or so and the cheapest standard fare costs GBP 27.40 or $ 41 dollars. There are only plug points in first and the chances that you are standing in standard class in rush hour (when the tickets are also substantially more expensive) are high.

The free tea and biscuit in First is nice, but it will cost you GBP 71 or $ 107 for a return… That is one hell of an expensive cuppa.

I also travel Harrogate – London v.v. a couple of times per year but have now given up on that journey as BA fly from Leeds to LHR and the economy rate (for a 45 minute journey) is substantially below the train.

Trains in the UK are all sub-par in terms of modernity, cleanliness, service, on-time arrival and departure and waaaaayyyyy above par in terms of cost. Blightey: you are being ripped off.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls