Transiting with alcohol at Dubai

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

foreignexchange
    Participant

Hi – myself and my partner will be travelling from Heathrow to Sydney via Dubai with Qantas later this week.

We’re visiting family, and they’ve asked us to bring a couple of bottles of alcohol each as apparently it’s pretty expensive out there.

Does anyone know what the rules are re: transiting with alcohol in hand luggage at Dubai. We’d be buying the alcohol in duty free at Heathrow, as we don’t have any space to put it in our checked luggage.

Also do you think there would be any issues re: being over the hand luggage weight limit at Dubai, if our original hand luggage weight was already on the limit, and we then added the alcohol?

Thanks.

foreignexchange
    Participant

Actually someone in the office has just suggested buying the alcohol on board the flight from Dubai to Sydney to avoid much of the above. My question then would be whether they have much of a choice on board? Does anyone know if there is a link anywhere to what is sold on board with Qantas?

Thanks.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

You will not be permitted to bring duty free purchased in Heathrow onto the DXB-SYD flight

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx

Price list for Dubai Duty Free

http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/content/upload/documents/52-67_DV%20Listings%20APR13.pdf

Edski777
    Participant

Avoid all the hassle and uncertainty and shop at DXB. I found DXB to be cheaper than LHR.

Here is the link to the most recent DXB duty free price list: http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/content/upload/documents/52-67_DV%20Listings%20APR13.pdf

Also: a few bottles each? Check with Aussie customs about the maximum amount allowed. Othrewise it could become a rather pricy drink afterall.

foreignexchange
    Participant

Thanks for your advice ImissConcorde and Edski777.

I’ve been advised we can take 2 litres each into Australia, but will check this to be sure.

Yes, buying in Dubai sounds like a plan – only thing is it’s a relatively short transit (only 90 minutes I think), so if we’re late arriving into Dubai then might be tight.

Had a look on the Qantas website and this was all I could find in terms of alcohol sold on board, so not much of a choice!

http://www.inskyshopping.com/category.php?category_id=12

scotishtaffy
    Participant

Another option is to buy you Duty Free on Arrival in SYD or other Oz airports. This tends to be the only country I am aware you can do this . You can only buy Duty free in Down Town Duty Free shops as long as you have an overseas passport and return ticket you by purchase.

http://www.syddutyfree.com/default.aspx

tonyb39
    Participant

Both Australia & NZ have allowed Duty free on arrival & have done so for many years,prices are very competitive,it is noy worth lugging extra weight on board.the respective airport websites are very helpful.Happy travelling.

StephenLondon
    Participant

Quite a few other countries have arrival duty free shops, Scotishtaffy – Thailand has a small boutique in the baggage hall, Sri Lanka permit this in Colombo (and it is large!), Oman has arrival duty-free…it seems to be gaining in popularity, and I’m sure the airlines are happier with people not carrying stuff on board (weight, sometimes pax consume their own, etc.).

foreignexchange
    Participant

Thanks scotishtaffy – that sounds like the best option. I can then just ask them what our allowance is on arrival.

Thank you all for your help.

julmops
    Participant

Geneva has one now also !

LetsFlyNow
    Participant

If it weren’t for the short transit time, DXB would be the best place to buy the alcohol. I find their prices to be extremely cheap.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

As long as you are not in a rush, purchasing Duty Free on arrival in Oz or NZ is by far the best way to go. allowances (especially in NZ) are generous and the choice is normally excellent. NZ is 4.5 litres of wine and three good size bottles of spirits. Australia somewhat less so at 2.25 litres of wine/spirits

andystock
    Participant

Dubai Duty Free is much cheaper than Heathrow

canucklad
    Participant

Between Dubai and the Oz authorities, there seems to be a bit of restrictive practice going on here……

Knowing I was transitting LHR up to EDI my Duty Free purchase was contained within a sealed bag….

Security at LHR, asked my point of origin and allowed me through with myv litre bottle of Vodka….Surely its not beyond the bounds of an world class airport to recognise and accept this scheme….

After all if I’m flying from Holand to Oz via DXB, the only place I can buy top notch Dutch genever will be at Schipol….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls