Transiting in China

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

DanielRawson
    Participant

I wonder if anyone could give me advice with visas for China. I intend to arrive from London into Shanghai on at Thursday morning and connect to Hong Kong and then on Sunday evening or Monday morning fly from Hong Kong to Chengdu and then to London. Do I need I full visa or will I be able to transit through. The reason for the strange routing is simply Avios availability.

Also any advice on which internal airlines to use would be appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Daniel

AMcWhirter
    Participant

IanFromHKG
    Participant

“Also any advice on which internal airlines to use would be appreciated. “

Since you refer to Avios redemption, and given the routings, I am going to guess that your long-haul sectors are on BA.

It doesn’t look as though you are taking any “internal” flights, but for the sectors between China and Hong Kong I would recommend either Cathay Pacific or Dragonair. Both airlines fly between Shanghai and HKG, only Dragonair fly the Chengdu route.

Dragonair is a regional airline, a subsidiary of Cathay Pacific, and an affiliate member of oneworld – so if I am right that the long-haul sectors are on BA, and if you have elite status or the BA sectors are in a premium cabin, (a) you can use oneworld lounges at each airport and (b) BA will check your luggage all the way through (which they may not do if your onward connection isn’t with a oneworld airline).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls