Transit through AMS ex Manchester – Advise?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• miningguy
    Participant

I hope everyone is doing well. After a year of almost zero travel I need to head out to West Africa from Manchester (end of Feb). One good option is via AMS however looking at the latest Dutch government requirements, to board a flight to AMS, I need to be in posession of a negative test *less then* four hours old*.

Does anyone have any practical experience of this? It looks like we can book something for MAN airport but I was wondering in reality how this is working out?

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/coronavirus-and-schiphol-frequently-asked-questions/

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1091776]

Well the weblink you attached says the below.

Do you need as LAMP test and a PCR?

Capture

miningguy
    Participant

Thanks for that. I was wondering if anyone had any recent practical experience of this? With the rapidly changing travel situation, sometimes what is happening on the ground doesn’t always reflect what we see on the web pages.

SimonS1
    Participant

Also I think you can book a LAMP test at Manchester Airport.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

My colleague recently travelled Manchester-Schipol-Accra. They were very thorough and he had to produce his negative test result at Schipol but my understanding is that this was in relation to compliance with the arrivals requirements in Accra, rather than for actually transiting Schipol. He needed the covid test result (PCR no more than 72 hours old) for Ghana anyway, so that satisfied the Dutch needs as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

update from the last post (from the same colleague). As far as he knows, KLM is only flying (in West Africa) to Lagos and Accra at the moment. Both countries have PCR test requirements which would cover you for transit through Schipol. He also mentioned that they are not currently flying to the UK either.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1091809]He also mentioned that they are not currently flying to the UK either.[/quote]

This is I suspect the key part. There are no flights to AMS at present.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Mining Guy

I took one at MAN in December. I had booked the expensive option, as that was the Ryanair link. I think that I could have booked with the organisers who I think are Collinson Group.

There are some tests that give immediate results. You do need to pre-book, but it was easy to do. Hardest part was finding the testing centre. You actually first go in to the airport train station, from the car park end, and complete the paperwork. Then it is signed to a series of portacabins in the short stay where you hand over your papers, and are tested.

Word of warning, lounges were closing at 4PM so go to the bar and, another word of warning, you need to order all of the drinks that you may need at the same time that you order your “substantial meal”. They won’t allow meal and 1 dink, then another drink.

Hope this helps.

2 users thanked author for this post.

traveldoc
    Participant

PCR test more generally accepted. I had to have one before departing for Thailand and – by the looks of it – will require another one before returning to UK in March.

miningguy
    Participant

David, we will be returning via Accra. Do you or your colleagues know about the ease and availability of getting PCR tests there? We will need this for our return to the UK.

Much appreciated.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092028]

@Miningguy
    – there are about 4 or 5 clinics offering PCR tests here in Accra. You can book online and usually its fine (I have had two personally). Prices vary and also depend on whether you need it within 24/28 hours. If you fly into Accra though, you will need to pre-pay for a PCR test on arrival, which is done almost as soon as you step off the plane. I think it is 150 dollars now. You get the result just after you have collected your bags. If you are negative, then that’s fine, but if you are positive then you’re quarantined at a hospital here for 10 days. You also need to complete an online health declaration for the Ghana Health Authority.

If you need any other info, don’t hesitate to ask.

1 user thanked author for this post.

NorskSaint
    Participant

Hi Mining Guy,
    Whilst it wasn’t MAN, I travelled OSL-AMS-CDG last week.

The day prior I had to undertake a PCR test and receive the certificate (it has to be less than 72hrs before the flight), the following day I went back to the same clinic and took an antigen test 3hrs before the flight. Both certificates (fit to fly) were handed to me and I went off to the airport.

AT Oslo, they demand to see both the 72hrs prior, and the 4hrs prior certificate before they allow you to board. Once in AMS, even in transit there are marshalls that will check you on arrival to the airport, demanding to see both certificates again before you’re allowed to proceed on to your next gate.

Hope this helps.

Norsk

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Are Qatar still flying ex UK? If so consider using them as it may be easier. Mrs.LP and my boys flew MXP – JNB via DOH and only needed the PCR test to satisfy South African entry requirements. Going back no test was needed.

Of course this may have all changed again in the last 2 weeks!!

miningguy
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the responses. We opted instead to fly BA ex LHR. The flight timings are not as good (or cost for that matter) but we decided there is enough risk of travelling right now without injecting a “middle country” into the mix. We will still need the PCR but will not need the rapid 4 hour test as well. Looking forwards to travelling again!

DavidSmith2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1092079]

flying to Accra? Not sure if this is allowed here (if not, please delete), but if you want to take this off-forum and need any advice or help, please don’t hesitate to send a mail to [email protected]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls