Transfering AA miles to BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

Sunshine
    Participant

Does anyone know if it possible for me to transfer my American Air Miles to BA’s programme?

I had the two programmes running simultaneously (as our transatlantic flights used to be with American, and you can claim BA miles on that); but now we’ve switched to BA, I no longer need my AA card.

Also, is it easy to transfer my miles to another BA executive card holder? there’s no information on the net on either of these… and I’m fed up with waiting on the phone at the moment

Thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

I am uncertain how you earned AAdvantage Miles on BA transatlantic flights as that is not permitted due to Anti_trust laws.

You cannot directly transfer AAdvantage Miles to BA Miles; however you could probably launder them through Hilton Hhonors or some such at a significant transaction cost.

Not worth doing that.

Except for MFU Upgrades, you can use AAdvantage Miles to redeem most (NOT transatlantic) BA flights, or any oneworld partner, though I think you would need to telephone AA to do this, and it would be prudent to check availability using your BA account first.

There are two options for transferring BA Miles between accounts; a direct transfer or setting up a household account. All this is fully explained in your BAEC homepage, for which login is required:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ectransfermiles/execclub/_gf/en_gb?link=main_nav

Sunshine
    Participant

When I was flying AA, it was around 5 years ago. On my first AA flight(to Chicago) I presented my BA card and was told I could not earn BA miles on an AA transatlantic flight. As a result I opened up an AAvantage account to collect those miles.

I have around 100,000 miles with AA and was hoping to transfer them, but it looks like that wont be possible 🙁

THanks for your help

VintageKrug
    Participant

You can still use your AAdvantage Miles to fly BA transatlantic exCanada, Mexico and the caribbean, and of course easy to use them to Asia on Cathay.

Would suggest hanging in there, as the impending closer alignment of BA and AA could mean the Anti Trust restriction is dropped shortly.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hello Sunshine, VK’s advice about waiting a while is very sound. However, if the AA miles are in danger of expiring soon then why not keep them active by earning a small number of miles by renting a car, or using a hotel stay to earn 500 miles.

VintageKrug
    Participant

ecbatana
    Participant

Go to http://www.webflyer.com. You will find a very handy Mileage Converter under the PROGRAMS section in the left navigation area. By choosing the “FROM” program (AAdvantage) and the “TO” program (BA Executive Club) you will see several options for how to convert your miles. You’ll find the best you can expect is a 2:1 conversion (essentially losing half your AAdvantage miles)

Cwyfan
    Participant

I have never done it, but I am told that you can use your miles to upgrade on a partner airline

VintageKrug
    Participant

kmcottrell as is stated above you cannot use BA Miles to upgrade on any airline other than BA.

Ditto you cannot use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on any airline other than AA.

HOWEVER there is a single caveat to that, as I seem to recall it IS possible to use Asia Miles to upgrade on BA, apparently.

There really is no need to go transferring miles between AA and BA or vice versa as most of the flights each airline runs can be redeemed using each others’ mileage scheme.

FCTraveller
    Participant

Hey Sunshine, don’t know if you still have those AA miles but they can now be used on BA flights to the USA since the new BA/AA agreement. Also, if you were planning to use them for a first class ticket on BA, booking through AA will cost you 125,000 AA miles as opposed to 150,000 BA miles. In this respect, AA miles are a more valuable currency.

science
    Participant

Dear BAA,
    I would like to apply for a post as a cabin crew member on your mixed crew team. I have the right to live and work in britain am a british citizen have always wanted to work with a european airline and I have lots of people skills, and patience.

robsmith100
    Participant

Science – I am rather perplexed as to why you would apply to the BAA for a BA mixed fleet cabin crew position and then post it on this forum?

I suggest visiting the following link http://www.beoutstanding.co.uk/ to put in a formal application.

Good luck.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls