Transfer from LHRT5 to T3

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Otte
    Participant

On a recent flight from TLV to MIA,we realized at the last minute that the 4 digit BA flight from LHR to MIA as actually with AA equipment.
    We really didn’t mind trying their product so we left it as is.

We left TLV 90 min late due to Fog,so when we landed we had only 90 min left to transfer,which we felt comfortable with,and so did BA who did not change our connections,other connections were changed ,and announced on the PA prior to landing.I was impressed.
    I was less impressed with the next step.

Signs to transfer to T 3 were not clear,we followed the crowd to the a train,but no BA staff on the platform to direct passengers.Neon signs advised passenger connecting at T3 to exit at C platform.BA cabin crew traveling on the train with us advised us to get off at B station.somehow at stop B we found a bus station to T3. A very crowded bus arrived,and now we were sardines .After not a very short ride we arrived T3, straight into a security check.Staff were shouting at passengers instructions re liquids,belts ,shoes etc,when many were foreigners ,some elderly,who had no clue.Staff was threatening us that we will be sent back to the end of the line,if we don’t arrive 100% in compliance to the screening machine.More shouting followed like” you will miss your flight if you don’t follow our orders,but we go home,so we don’t care”… all this in Fast Track line as we were traveling in Club.
    Finally we were free from boot camp to look for the gate,which ofcourse was the last one in the concourse.We arrived at ‘ last call’ for boarding.Sweating and traumatized from the security check.

So 90 min between the two terminals is barely enough.Signs were confusing,and as a 30 year airport worker in the US and Israel I can def say they were not clear .Never again.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Otte – Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at LHR.

My advice is always to check the operating carrier and, if it’s an airport with more than one terminal, always check the terminals you will be using.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Otto – unfortunately you would have faced exactly the same transfer had you been flying on a BA operated flight to MIA as this is one of a number of BA destinations which is served from T3.
    One small benefit, at least you would have travelled on a (fairly) new AA 777, versus BA’s decrepit mid J 747’s which plies this route.

Otte
    Participant

I didn’t know that.Thanks for the info.Flying AA 77W was indeed an extra treat.

Otte
    Participant

We were aware that a terminal change was involved,but the complexity of the transfer was unexpected.

NorskSaint
    Participant

I have to do a OSl-MIA route each month and actively select the AA flight over the BA awful 747. Unfortunately as stated above both necessitate a change of terminal from 5 to 3. When I used to use LHR point to point I could never understand the complaints about the airport, that’s until you have to connect through it. Whilst I’ve never had an issue with signage, the service on packed diesel buses is nothing short of scandalous, and definitely short of the “premium” experience LHR likes to extol.

Norsk

Otte
    Participant

I agree with you about the busses..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Otte –

Another more convenient option will become available this autumn when Virgin Atlantic begins service to Tel Aviv.

It means you will be able to travel Tel Aviv-London Heathrow-Miami without having to change terminals (at Heathrow).

Until the start of the winter timetable the connection is lengthy and involves an overnight stay.

But things change when the winter schedules start from end October when the Heathrow connection time (within T3) is cut to two hours 35 mins.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=956342]

Signs to transfer to T 3 were not clear,we followed the crowd to the a train,but no BA staff on the platform to direct passengers.Neon signs advised passenger connecting at T3 to exit at C platform.BA cabin crew traveling on the train with us advised us to get off at B station.somehow at stop B we found a bus station to T3. A very crowded bus arrived,and now we were sardines .After not a very short ride we arrived T3, straight into a security check.Staff were shouting at passengers instructions re liquids,belts ,shoes etc,when many were foreigners ,some elderly,who had no clue.[/quote]

Had a transfer at T5 earlier in August and signs to Flight Connections were, in my view, quite clear. Purple signs overhead. Also not sure how people on an incoming flight, transferring at LHR, were unaware of security regulations concerning liquids etc.. Hopefully they had already been through security at point of departure.

1 user thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

No particular fan of T5, but signage re terminlla transfer seems fairly good. Buses are never ideal but common the world over. They can be crowded but I have survived them for a very long time – all part of glamorous air travel..

RHampton
    Participant

Never transferred through LHR but have arrived multiple times in all terminals and have always seen how clear the transfer signage is.

It’s also common practice at nearly every airport for transiting that you will have to go through additional security checks.

When ever I’ve been on a connecting flight I’ve always checked the flight details throughly and seen the airline operating and the terminal it’s operating from.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

It is easy enough to transfer between terminals 5 and 123 using either the underground or the surface rail

IanFromHKG
    Participant

There are usually also plenty of staff (in purple jackets/gilets) on hand to help with directions

alainboy56
    Participant

@otte — Have transferred from T5 to T3 many times and do not find the signage inadequate, mind you I suppose that once I had done it the once, the following times are easier and almost automatic.

The Bus journey is a bit uncomfortable but if you have been sat for 6-7 hours, to stand for 10 minutes is not a bad thing.

However one thing I will agree with is the rude obnoxious way people are herded like cattle in that T3 security check area. this is a very welcome sight of UK for pax, whom for most, are just merely passing through. I bet this image really makes them want to visit UK again and perhaps stay a little longer!!!!!

When will LHR management get a hold of these security areas and SORT THEM OUT!!!! There are always here, and in other media sources, numerous complaints about various incidents of obnoxiousness by these ‘NUMPTIES’ and I deliberately do not call them officials.

*****Edited by Business Traveller*****

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls