Trakdot baggage tracker – Review

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Very disappointed to hear from Trakdot HQ

“Unfortunately, service has been disrupted for several days due to a down overseas server. It doesn’t involve Trakdot specifically, we’re just affected. I am awaiting further update on the situation.”

The above was from the Sales and Product Support Manager.

Having used this tracker for a couple of years, it is an excellent product (when it works)…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Does anyone know if this company is still trading? My 2 units have not been working since October 2018, when the firm sent an email out to confirm due to a server failure the units were temporarily not working. Both my units were sold with lifelong licenses.

The website is still up, you can still purchase new units (whether they work or not is another matter).

Calls and emails to Trakdot are not being returned.

Any help would be appreciated.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

*PLEASE READ: Important message for Trakdot customers*
    11/2/2018
    Thank you for contacting us. Understandably, we have received many questions and messages concerning the current status of Trakdot 2G service.
    In the coming weeks, we aim to provide you with a specific course of action moving forward. At that time, we will address questions regarding existing subscriptions and other account matters.
    In the meantime, please hold off on activating new devices and disregard any notices pertaining to renewing your service until further notice.
    We regret any further inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience.
    Regards,
    Trakdot Management Team

first_class_please
    Participant

I received the same auto response when I emailed for an update on 12/12.

I have 4 units, all with lifetime subscriptions.

SimonS1
    Participant

I saw on FT that the Trakdot units run on 2G technology. Unfortunately many countries/telecoms companies no longer support 2G which I imagine is why the units no longer work.

Unless they have some means of moving to 4G or higher (which may cost) I would say the lifetime warranty is about as valuable as a lifetime warranty for Windows 95…..

capetonianm
    Participant

I have always wondered, in legal terms from a consumer point of view, what a ‘lifetime guarantee’ means.
    Lifetime of what or whom?
    The purchaser or the device?

If it’s the latter I can imagine a Monty Pythonesque situation :

A customer enters a computer shop.

Customer: ‘Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

Owner: We’re closin’ for lunch.

Customer: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this computer what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Lenovo Think Pad…What’s,uh…What’s wrong with it?

Customer: I’ll tell you what’s wrong with it, my lad. ‘E’s dead, that’s what’s wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, ‘e’s uh,…it’s gone into sleep mode to save power.

Customer: Look, matey, I know a dead computer when I see one, and I’m looking at one right now.

Owner: No no it’s not dead, it’s ‘ibernating! Remarkable colouring, the Lenovo Thinkpad, inn’it, ay?

Customer: The colour don’t enter into it. It’s stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! ‘E’s ‘ibernating!

Customer: All right then, if he’s ‘ibernating’, I’ll un-ibernate ‘im.

Customer: Um…now look…now look, mate, I’ve definitely ‘ad enough of this. That computer is definitely deceased. It’s slipped its mortal coil, it is an ex-computer. This computer wouldn’t compute if you put four million volts through it!

Owner: Well, I’d better replace it, then. Sorry squire, I’ve had a look ’round the back of the shop, and uh, we’re right out of computers. I got a box of staples.

Customer: WELL THAT’S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!? This computer had a life time guarantee.

Owner : Look mate, this computer’s life is over. It’s blown its mother board, fried its transistors, popped its power supply, screwed its screen, buggered its BIOS …..

That’s your guarantee mate. Good day to you Sir.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=912859]I saw on FT that the Trakdot units run on 2G technology. Unfortunately many countries/telecoms companies no longer support 2G which I imagine is why the units no longer work.

Unless they have some means of moving to 4G or higher (which may cost) I would say the lifetime warranty is about as valuable as a lifetime warranty for Windows 95…..[/quote]

Lifetime for an electronic product? Not sure it makes sense… It will be outdated at some stage.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=913884]Lifetime for an electronic product? Not sure it makes sense… It will be outdated at some stage.[/quote]

Agreed & I would happily pay double or even treble price again for an updated product. There was no other product on the market (that I knew of) that came close to trakdot.

My beef with the firm is the way they are still taking money for products that do not work & since October, have left all customers blindsided with promises of an “upcoming announcement”.

I accept 2G is dated and no longer works – unless you have a product that works, stop selling your products.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Dear Trakdot™ User,

Our records indicate you have a Trakdot™ Luggage Tracker, but that you have not renewed the service subscription in over a year or more.

This past October we advised all Trakdot device owners that the primary provider of telecom service to the device had terminated its 2G service. As you may know, Trakdot™ Luggage Tracker is a 2G device. Over time, 2G devices of all types will no longer be able to receive telecom service.

However, we are pleased to inform you that we have been able to establish a solution to address your current Trakdot device.

Traccom Inc., a completely separate entity from Globatrac, has agreed to provide their all-purpose tracking device called BSAF™, which will be introduced in the 2nd quarter of 2019, just in time for summer travel.

The BSAF is a 4G/5G/LTE device that will send you an email and text message of the location of your luggage when your plane lands and you turn on your cell phone. However, the BSAF also has GPS which will enable you to use the device for many types of tracking where specificity of location is essential e.g., automobile, briefcase/purse, backpack, etc.

Globatrac has negotiated a special one-time offer with Traccom, Inc. for Trakdot Users to acquire the BSAF device at a discounted price of $69.99 and the first full year of service FREE.

We also can offer you the option to have your existing Trakdot Luggage Tracker device retrofitted to enable it to receive limited service. However, please understand this may only provide a short-term solution.

To take advantage of either conversion option, please click on the appropriate button below:

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls