Trakdot baggage tracker – Review

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

http://uk.businessinsider.com/delta-airlines-introduces-chips-for-smart-luggage-2016-8

Delta airlines launching a new baggage tracking system… I wonder whether passengers will be able to access the technology once checked in. Mind you, on the one side it will reassure passengers that their bags have arrived, but it could mean passengers knowing where a lost bag is before the airline….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Trakdot baggage notifications are having problems with SMS notifications. Suggestion is to only use email and app notifications.

Both my units still work, but clearly an SMS is more favourable than email..

Charles-P
    Participant

My son (having read this thread) has invested in TrackDot and speaks warmly about it. He is at university in the US and uses it to trace his snowboard equipment and other luggage. He said that Lufthansa simply refused to believe it when he showed them how they had not loaded his bags for a flight to Europe and said their software “did not make mistakes”.

TravelWise
    Participant

I have used my Trakdot on multiple trips now and on the whole, not great. The app constantly crashes and fails to allow login (using iPhone iOS 10). Out of the last 15 trips, it has worked about three times on arrival.
    It always registers when I am at the departure airport; not so handy as I know where my bag is when I check it in. It fails to register its arrival by email, sms or bluetooth connection.
    Used fresh batteries and in many different bags but not so successful.
    Great idea and happy when I bought it but now I feel more stressed as I constantly don’t get the notification and have that painful wait wondering if my bag is really here or not.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Travelwise – can I suggest you email [email protected] with your trakdot number and the likelihood is he will send you a replacement from LA without the need for the old unit to be returned.

I also had a problem with one of my 2 units and it was replaced.

For the record I do not work or own shares in the company. I have 2 units and the only place they constantly fail for me, is in Milan…

TravelWise
    Participant

Thanks @MartynSinclair I will give the email a go and see.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am not convinced Trakdot units are currently working in Europe.

I have 2 units, an F and an H serial number.

Neither unit has worked in 2018 (in Europe). When switching on, the red light comes on, but does not connect to any mobile signal (to make the operating light turn green), therefore making the units useless. In flight, the unit light does go into the blue sleep mode..

I have emailed the firm but as yet no response.

If anyone is using these units successfully (or otherwise), can you let the thread know and also what serial letter your unit is..

Many thanks

Travelling4Fun
    Participant

I am so grateful for my Trakdot – it has worked well for the last couple of years – and when I really needed it on this New Year’s Eve it confirmed to KLM that my baggage had not been loaded onto my flight BHX-AMS, which they were not clear about when I reported the loss.

The batteries lasted for three days with regular reports telling me my Trakddot was still in BHX or AMS or even BKK before it ran out of power and wasn’t able to alert me to the fact that it was being returned to AMS rather than sent to me as KLM and the Baggage Handlers had advised.

Given that my luggage has still not been returned to me (and I have only KLM’s word to rely on that they have it) and given that I expect to have write off the whole bag and contents I too will look to Amazon to get another one.

In terms of reports I have found it to be usually very reliable – less so when off the beaten track.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I spoke to Josh at Trakdot last night to see if they were aware of why my units were no longer working. As I spoke to him & he became aware of the unit numbers (which I have a record of), they both came to life, although this morning only 1 unit came to life. Josh confirmed he was going to speak to the “service provider” in Dubai for further information, but he does have the ability from his office to do some sort of unit reset. His or the firms telephone number is available on the firms website

Two additional pieces of information.

1. It may not have been the batteries that caused the unit to fail. To be fair, my units can last up to 2 weeks on the same set of batteries. The units work on ancient 2G technology and this may be the cause of the units not picking up a cell tower.

2. New units, working on 3G and 4G technology are in testing at the moment and this should increase reliability. He does not know when the units will be available, but it should be sometime in 2018.

I know it is too late for you Travelling4Fun, but if you buy another unit, keep the unit registration number somewhere safe so you can call Trakdot if a similar situation occurs again for them to arrange a reset…

I hope you get your bag back..

K1ngston
    Participant

Of course you can always pack light and put your luggage above you in a bin like I do?? Saves all this mumbo jumbo about 2-3G and towers and wheres my luggage??

I never put luggage in the hold unless I am going away with hubby (who has more clothes than I) it just doesn’t make sense and it just saves loads of time

Travelling4Fun if you are there for 3 months I get it but for the small hops that I know you do Martyn pack it, stack it and take it with you ….

Travelling4Fun
    Participant

Thanks Martyn – so do I !

K1ngston I agree and love it when I can travel with hand luggage only – but I’m here for six months before I next go home.

K1ngston
    Participant

T4F if you need some R&R in SG let me know I will be happy to see you …. but please bring hand luggage only 🙂

Travelling4Fun
    Participant

Thanks K1ngston ! I’ll let you know when next visiting.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I had a look on Amazon.co.uk and though to buy one.

Looking at between stg 77 and 100. And this for 1 year license.

(Seems in the USA it is more like US$40)

I looked at the reviews.. and deicded to pass. Most reviews were terrible.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Question for any BT Forum Trakdot users.

Are your units still working? Mine worked last week, but this weekend, both units failed. I have sent an email to Trakdot HQ. Neither of my 2 units showed up on the Trakdot online account mapping system. They were still showing in a location I was in last week.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls