Tragic news for BA crew.

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Last night (31DEC) twenty minutes before midnight there was a serious accident near Heathrow.

Tragically, three of the car passengers aged only 20, 23 & 25 were killed. All three were BA cabin crew. A fourth is in a serious condition in hospital.

My heart goes out to their families. What an awful start to the year.

I know this may not be a ‘Business Traveller’ ish thread but as we spend much time discussing BA I hope you will join me in offering condolences.

https://news.sky.com/story/heathrow-airport-car-and-lorry-crash-leaves-at-least-three-dead-11898963

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Extremely tragic and sad news. Heart goes out to family, colleagues and friends.

7 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Absolutely. I saw this on the news just now. Just the worst news for the start of a new decade and so tragic that they will not be around to see it. So many others will be affected by this – friends, families and loved ones. Just terrible.

5 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

It momentarily crossed my mind when I heard this terribly sad story earlier today that they may have been crew; the ages and proximity to the airport seemed too much of a coincidence.

Thoughts are with family and friends. So unfair.

PatJordan
    Participant

Very sad news indeed. What a tragedy for their families, friends and colleagues. RIP.

SimonS1
    Participant

Really awful news. Really sorry to hear this and sympathies to all family, friends and colleagues.

GBAIR72
    Participant

I was having dinner with two friends that are crew and they were devastated when they were informed by BA.

My thoughts are with these poor families and friends. NYE will never be the same again.

Enjoy life everyone as you don’t know what is round the corner

1 user thanked author for this post.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

This tragic event also serves as a reminder that airline / airport staff (be it crew, ground, operations) work shifts which mean they often don’t have the luxury of being able to celebrate big events like Christmas, NYE, birthdays with the same ease as most of us. What an awful end to what would have been an anticipated night.

Thoughts to all affected.

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I hope it is not inappropriate to mention this, but there is a ‘donations’ site set up for the victims’ families. I am not sure what benefit money will bring, but I suppose that donating will show solidarity. They have so far collected almost £60,000.

If anyone thinks posting this is inappropriate, please respond accordingly and I will ask one of the site moderators to remove it.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ba-angels-fund/donate

4 users thanked author for this post.

PatJordan
    Participant

Capetonianm, thank you for posting this. For what it’s worth, I think it is wholly appropriate and indeed very thoughtful of you to post this.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Hi Capetonian.

The funds are being raised by ‘Angel Fleet’. This is a group within BA who represents BA at colleagues funerals. One or two members of crew will usually attend a colleagues funeral and take a wreath or some flowers.

The initial Gofundme aim was for £5k. This was to provide a wreath to each of the families funerals and also to give some money to the survivor in a critical condition. I’m not sure to the extent of her injuries but I imagine she will be off work for a long time – if she’s ever to return. She will obviously be paid whilst off work but it will just be her basic pay which is usually around 60-70% a cabin crews take home pay with additional amounts for flying duties.

I believe the fund has so far way surpassed the £5k aim which is great news.

5 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Nothing else I can add, but a timely reminder as we enter 2020 to treat people (including those who serve us) with kindness and respect , as one day we might just regret missing the chance to do so. RIP

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls