Traffic Violation Pisa

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

350flyer
    Participant

So, inadvertently drove into “restricted area” in central Pisa, 9 months later I receive a letter in the post from a the local authority informing me off a EUR126 fine! Should I pay? I am not sure how the letter even made it to my address as street name and post code shambolic!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

if you were in a rental car, the fine will probably be paid regardless…

SimonS1
    Participant

I would ignore it. Claim the letter never reached you.

If it was a rental car and the car company were going to pay I’m sure it would not have taken 9 months?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

there must be a contract clause that the rental company can charge it to your credit card…

ViajeroUK
    Participant

I had a similar experience in Verona, driving in a restricted area, I think in 2011, about a month later received a charge from car rental company for admin costs of supplying my details to Italian police.

Heard nothing more for two years, then received an invoice from Italian police (in English) detailing the offence and the cost of the fine, can´t remember exact amount but similar to above. Payment details also included, either by bank transfer or on line with credit card.

Notice included a warning that fines are now chased throughout Europe, and additional costs would be incurred if not paid within a set period. I decided that as I knew I had driven into a residents only area I would pay and not risk further action.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

The UK has an exemption on this sort of fine being pursued in the UK so if you don’t pay nothing else will happen unless they decide you are a major criminal and you are arrested next time you arrive in Italy – highly unlikely though.

I had one of those letters from Avis a while back over something I was supposed to have done in Germany, never heard anything from the German police though and I decided it was just Avis profiteering again.

I believe there is now something in credit card agreements with the car hire companies that stops them paying fines as effectively they are admitting your guilt so they may no longer pass on the charge. It applies EU wide but may be different in other places.

MrMichael
    Participant

WillieWelsh. Not sure I agree with you. It is from an Italian local authority, and as in the UK is decriminalised and nothing to do with the Police nor is it criminal. It is in fact a debt owed to the local Pisa Authority, or put another way, owed to the people of Pisa.

If this was in the UK, for instance contravention of a bus lane then the debt would be chased in most countries in Europe. For instance France it would not as it is still part of the criminal justice system, Italy would as it has signed up to SPARKS.

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/download/file/fid/7556

My suggestion would be to pay your debt if you know you have done it. If you did not do it, then you will have a recourse to some form of appeal system. Considerable extra costs would be incurred if you fail to pay. In addition, as in the UK you risk next time in Pisa having your car towed.

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

Hi,

Italian municipalities generally use “cowboy-style” debt collectors. They have no international jurisdiction and no way to enforce payment.

I received several fines driving around Corso Como in Milan and all served as great tinder.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I guess there are two different lines of thought here:
    1. You did the crime, pay the fine. Needs no further comment.

2. You have a rebellious streak which you feel is justified by unreasonable charges, restrictions etc on the poor old motorist. Often navigating your way through a strange city, looking for street names and GPS not up to date – or just lost – it’s easy to wander into a pedestrian area by mistake.

Trouble is authorities no longer allow you to make an innocent mistake. Who remembers the friendly policeman who would give you a mild ticking off, accept your apology and send you on your way. No longer, they’re now so zealous and apply the law without thought or reason.

I beleive 3 months is the cutoff date for extra billing to a credit card. Even if less just dispute it and the cc co will reimburse you. Next, ignore any fine. They’re so busy chasing home offenders they rarely go after foreigners. If they do, and they use a debt collector, insist on seeing a legalised copy of their authority with an official legalised translation. You have this right, after all it could be anyone. Then inform them you will first contact the authority to make sure they are legally entitled to chase you. Next send a letter, by registered post with proof of receipt to the authority checking the documents are indeed valid. Chances are you will not get a response.

If the collectors chase you show proof of posting and explain there has been no reply. Most will have given up by now.

If they continue, inform them you gave your car to park by a helpful chap while enjoying a drink on the town square. Insist on photo’s to prove the offense. If a policeman saw you insist on his written deposition, officially translated and legalised and tell them you will reserve your right to call him as a witness. Something which is quite normal in most European countries.

I doubt you’ll hear further as it’s too much hassle for them for the €20 commission they’re likely to receive.

Alternatively, if it’s too much bother – just pay the fine 😉

iceman46
    Participant

you must pay, this is the law

manxman123
    Participant

I also had a fine for driving in a restricted area in Pisa. I ignored the penalty notice, and heard no more. Which court will they use to try and collect the fine? Not worth their while for a small sum, particularly as even if they were to get judgement in Pisa how will they enforce the judgement? Just ignore it.

manxman123
    Participant

I also had a fine for driving in a restricted area in Pisa. I ignored the penalty notice, and heard no more. Which court will they use to try and collect the fine? Not worth their while for a small sum, particularly as even if they were to get judgement in Pisa how will they enforce the judgement? Just ignore it.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Iceman46: what rubbish….the “law” in this case is merely the local mob trying it on – don’t even think of giving them satisfaction…
    The alternative is killing a few locals while you drive distractedly around searching to find their hidden traffic signs….they should thank you!

BigDog.
    Participant

You should pay. If you plan to return to Italy and rent/drive again you should definitely pay else you could find your trip interrupted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls