Tough lightweight carry on luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

antipodes
    Participant

I would like the views of your readers on what they consider suitable lightweight carry on wheelaway luggage. Which is strong enough to withstand the brutal attacks of the airport baggage handlers should it be required to be checked in. I am currently using a Tumi 20″ wheelaway but this weighs 6 kilos but the carry on limit ranges from 7 to 10 kilos resulting in severe restraints on the contents that can be packed. I am currently thinking about the Rimowa plastic model but have reservations about its strength.

Inquisitive
    Participant

The weight limit on airlines is one of the main issue with all passengers. I have tried various soft shell and hard shell suitcase – with not much advantage with any one in particular. The soft shell cases may be slightly lighter (by 1-2 kg), but most of these will have a lot of side pockets and chains and that increases weight. Also one could (and tend to) load more stuff in soft luggage. In the end I found the trusted Samsonite (both soft and hard) are most reasonble on weight as well as toughness. This is for those who want to show off the luggage. Otherwise the best option is to buy a $20 soft suitcase every time – It will definitly last one round trip. After that you could throw away the suitcase or donate to charity. This is economical in the long run with minimum headache. Also your house will have more space.

Charles-P
    Participant

“Disposable” luggae is a route taken by colleague for years. He has in his garage about 20 suitcases bought a a high street shop, worth about £20 each. they last on average two returns across the Atlantic. When done he gives them to the local hospital who use them for storage !

JoshuaP
    Participant

A great idea – do they store people with lock jaw in them?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls