Top tier FQTV schemes best benefits

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

On CX, there is no bonus mileage or upgrade vouchers, but you do get guaranteed seats in economy or business, free extra-legroom seats (normally charged for) in economy, 20kg/1 piece extra checked baggage allowance (which we use a lot), lounge access with 2 guests (ditto, and for VK’s benefit yes it really is free and applies even if you are not flying on CX, and it really is better than BA), 15kg cabin baggage allowance (not that they ever check), arrival lounges HKG, FRA and LHR.

Apart from the luggage and lounge, the main benefit for us is that I always seem to be able to get redemption upgrades for me and my family (CX happily give them my priority waitlist status if I call up and ask, and as a top tier member you get straight through to a real person after entering your membership number rather than having to wade through menus). Definitely worthwhile. I would love some upgrade vouchers, and I would love lifetime membership as well (they used to have it but abolished it – shame, as I would have qualified by now!). I would also love to see it opened up to everyone who pays an adult fare – I see no reason why my children (well, older child at the moment and younger child when she reaches the grand old age of 12 next month) should not get the benefits when we pay the same fares for them as everyone else!

oldchinahand
    Participant

Ian_from_ HKG outlines well the very substantial advantages that the CX top tier offers and agreed much better than BA’s published offering.
    I am very fortunate to enjoy lifetime membership of the CX Diamond tier having qualified as I recall 15 years ago and now that I don’t travel for business as much it is a huge advantage not to need to qualify ever year.

The benefits of CX diamond card offers look to be better than most other schemes and certainly better than BA and other Oneworld members.

As Ian mentions Cathay do go the extra mile for their top tier customers.Retiring recently from Seoul with 2 clients (who were not club members of any Oneworld airline) I was offered an upgrade that I had to decline as was traveling with 2 clients.Called again in the F lounge with upgrades for the three of us, Unexpected and marvelous !.
    The ability to take 2 guests to any OW F lounge is very useful are the extra baggage allowance and the guarantee of a seat at short notice on any CX flight….even if already full.

The possibility of lifetime membership of any FF scheme is probably a great incentive to most FFs and several airlines do have such largely unpublished membership tiers offered to their most valued customers. QF do have such a tier and I have been told that so do BA and SQ.

It would be perhaps interesting what others know of these largely ‘hidden membership tiers’?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

oldchinahand, I was given to understand that CX no longer offer lifetime memberships – am I wrong?

At least Qantas are very open about their lifetime privileges, as well as their super-elite membership (Platinum One): http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/privileges

oldchinahand
    Participant

Ian, To answer your question – yes and no. Cathay don’t as such offer this anymore (but there is a new tier beyond diamond) but the existing ‘lifetime’ membership did not die when the last changes to the club were made.
    We are now ‘Invitation Diamond’.and my membership expires in 2099. Qantas info interesting !

Senator
    Participant

Having held mostly Star Gold since 1999, I guess my preference lies here. I had SAS Eurobonus Gold 1999-2000 and UA Premier Executive during the same time period. I switched to M&M in 2000, and have qualified for Senator every year since.

I held BA Silver in 2010 into 2011, and I’ve been BA Gold since last autumn. Previously held AF/KLM Platinum as well.

M&M SEN (Star Gold) – I have never failed to redeem at least one seat in premium cabins to the destination of choice even in peak season across core airlines or partners. I have used the 50% companion award several times. I have used the award standby provision on Lufthansa operated flights three times in Y and C cabins and succeed. Always feel the Star Gold experience is honoured across the members.

On the downside, I think the Star Gold lounges are a bit hit and miss.

BA Gold – love the ground experience at T5, best in class. Always recognised on-board. Redemptions seem to be more difficult. A scheme like M&M where gold members can be on stand by (normally cleared within a minute) would be clever. Allows access to better lounges worldwide. BA Sliver beats M&M FTL hands down.

AF/KLM FB Platinum – never really used it. The best part of the scheme is the lifetime level after 10 consecutive years which I would never do anyhow. After all, we are talking about Air France here 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls