Tokyo Haneda

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

thecartoonman
    Participant

An interesting snippet on BA Source, that from summer 2014 the Japanese have released 14 daytime slots to UK carriers (BA/Virgin) at Tokyo Haneda (7 each it would appear)

This could see the re-scheduling of BA007/008 to much more convenient times, or the moving of BA005/006 from Narita, which could see BA cease Narita operations, or possibly add a new service here?

Haneda is certainly much more convenient for Tokyo than Narita, which is why the Japanese have, so far, placed these very early morning arrival and departure times on long haul airlines, which on my travels to Tokyo, has been a major deterrent from using Haneda.

Any thoughts from members who travel far more than me!

Bucksnet
    Participant

I said at the time BA started Haneda that the route would be better served by Japan Airlines, as they could depart late at night, land at Heathrow early morning and then return a few hours later.

The BA flight suffers from bad flight times, having to return early morning or the plane would sit on the ground all day until the very late departure window.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Interesting news.

Besides the UK, it’s worth noting that the Japanese authorities have also awarded the same daytime slots to France and Germany. 14 slots per week to each country.

I agree that Haneda is much more convenient, but it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other wrt reaching the city centre from either airport.

Edited: have I just contradicted myself? 😉

HarryMonk
    Participant

It should improve things .Getting to the airport for an early morning departure or to the city on a late arrival meant an expensive taxi ride and also many of the airport shops, bars, restaurants were closed too early for the late night departures

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It remains to be seen whether BA, AF and LH continue to operate at NRT or whether decide to transfer all their services to HND.

Some time back, Virgin Atlantic said it would use HND when slots became available.

But if AF and LH were to defect from NRT to HND then what about their A380 flights ? Can HND handle the A380 ?

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes.

pdtraveller
    Participant

Yes would be of benefit. I have booking and deliberately chose the NRT service as the 6.40am departure is very inconvenient. Would rather have a good nights sleep and then enjoy the the flight home arriving late afternoon which find better for recovery.

first_class_please
    Participant

I have an upcoming flight which i`ve selected HND – HKG, flying Cathay First class.

question, what are Haneda lounges like? Should i stick with where CX direct me, or do BA / AA have a ‘better’ offering?

I`m looking for somewhere quiet for a coffee, read the paper and ideally with nice windows to plane spot.

I will eat onboard.

first_class_please
    Participant

just bumping this as it got knocked out of the ‘most recent’ within a few minutes!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls