Toiletrytastic !

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• manxman123
    Participant

I’m more worried about hotel guests boiling their underwear in the kettle which was exposed a while back

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=891237]I would very much prefer to have a pump-action bottle for all this stuff rather than add tons of plastic waste to the world, not to mention all the product that its thrown away because it is in a partially used bottle.[/quote]

I’m with Ian on this, they want to save by washing sheets every two days (now 3 in more and more hotels) but waste who knows how much by throwing out half empty bottles, used soaps, barely used toilet rolls, mineral water in plastic bottles etc. I just hate this needless waste.

manxman123
    Participant

Used soaps are all recycled.

luckyone
    Participant

Thankfully I’m been very lucky to star in 4-5* hotels who mainly seal all their toiletries including shampoo, conditioner and body lotion tubes with a tamper free tape. I must say it is expected with the price charged on the room/Suite.

As to boiled water, I’m extra particular since I would literally rinse all the cups, cup holders, mugs, glasses and spoons with boiling hot water since I wouldn’t have a clue how “clean” they are noting that the housekeeping do not have a clean supply of these items and they’re washed in the kitchen/bathroom and how clean would their dish towel be? Few would use a dish washer but again if unclean it’s one of the filthiest thing since the water is recycled while washing. From a medical point of view, I only drink bottled mineral water and boiled bottled water which actually taste very different from boiled tap water considering I can tell the difference between different sparking mineral water and plain mineral water like Evian, Fine, Tasmanian Rain, 10 thousand BC, Veen, Voss, Lauquen, Perrier, Aquadeco, San Pellegrino, Acqua Panna and Fiji water.

Not being judgemental, Singapore does use NEWater and Desalinated Water while Hong Kong relies on Guangdong for 70-80% of its water even though Hong Kong’s water per capita is more than Paris, London, Singapore and Melbourne. With friends living in Hong Kong, they actually boil bottled water to drink and cook and even their pets drink boiled bottled water. I believe this occurs more so since their professions are in the medical field.

luckyone
    Participant

LuganoPrivate,

You’ll be surprised that there are recycling plants in 3rd world countries even though mainly in the cities. They have not have the factories to recycle plastics 1-6 but they do recycle bottles, paper, porcelain and so forth. I personally don’t think I’ve seen hotels throwing away toilet rolls, perhaps towards the end bits.

I actually do know that Thailand all forms of bottles, can drinks, can food as well as any “drinkable packaging”. In the rural areas these are collected and sold. The “opening rings” from any can drink in the rural areas are actually collected and given to the local hospital to be made as a metal prosthetic arms and legs and they have been doing for the last 20years.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=891525]I’m more worried about hotel guests boiling their underwear in the kettle which was exposed a while back[/quote]

Oh sweet Jesus, why did you have to open my eyes to this?! *pukes*

mkcol74
    Participant

Some time ago I heard about this organisation which may quell some concerns mentioned earlier.
    Not the boiling knickers in a kettle situation though.

flyingdutchman1
    Participant

Just back from the Crowne Plaza in Maastricht in the Netherlands and I noticed as well that all stuff was sealed ! Great.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls