Toiletrytastic !

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• iflypremium
    Participant

I wonder if anyone else has thought of the following,considering we use such products on our body ?

I have stayed at the Radisson in Tokyo and Melliber Apart in Casablanca this year.

I travel the world and have never seen sealed toiletries and was surprised.

The Rituals Toiletries in Tokyo were sealed with a clear tape – in Casablanca there was a seal which stated ” do not use if broken”.

I think all hotels should follow suit for safety and hygiene reasons. Anyone can put anything into toiletries ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

SPG bars of soap sealed so well…. difficult to open…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I am surprised that the OP is surprised. Most 5 star hotels provide sealed toiletries. I mostly stay in Hyatt, Marriott and Holiday Inn in Asia Pacific regions and all these hotels provide toiletries in sealed packet.

stevescoots
    Participant

cant think of the last time i stayed somewhere that did not have sealed ones, unless its those that have the dispensers

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wish this thread hadnt been created, i probably wouldnt have noticed šŸ˜

Marriott Rotterdam, none of the soaps, gels etc are sealed..

capetonianm
    Participant

I’ve just come back from a stay in a hotel in Dublin where the toiletries were in small plastic bottles, not sealed. They were Orla Kiely, an Irish designer brand, which went bust earlier this week, so I guess they are now collectable items. Any offers?

Must admit I’d never given much thought to this matter, and I assume that the hotel housekeeping refill the small bottles from a supply, otherwise it’s wicked to throw away so many plastic bottles as they are so harmful to the environment.

iflypremium
    Participant

I am clearly staying in the wrong hotels then !

iflypremium
    Participant

[quote quote=890864]I wish this thread hadnt been created, i probably wouldnt have noticed šŸ˜

Marriott Rotterdam, none of the soaps, gels etc are sealed..[/quote]

Contribute,Criticise,Contribute.
    Looks like I have just had my first BT Forum petty sandwich.
    I was wondering when this would happen.
    After years of watching squabbles here I am in one.
    I am all strapped in for the ride !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@skyhigh….”BT Forum petty sandwich” ???

You raise an interesting topic. I hope hotels dont remix re use the left over toiletries….

I did ask when i checked out… i got a bemused look from reception…

iflypremium
    Participant

[quote quote=890889]@skyhighā€¦.ā€BT Forum petty sandwichā€ ???

You raise an interesting topic. I hope hotels dont remix re use the left over toiletriesā€¦.

I did ask when i checked outā€¦ i got a bemused look from receptionā€¦[/quote]

It’s like the compliment sandwich but not so tasty ( start nice,then a negative,end with something nice ! )

I am more worried that anyone could mix something in to bottles. It would be easy to do and go undetected until too late.

Inquisitive
    Participant

The main hotel hygiene items are not how toiletries are packed. Branded and 5 star hotels has standard procedures for small tubes of shampoo etc. even those are not sealed. Just watch room cleaning ladies one day, they have no time to collecting used one from waste baskets and refill those.
    The main hygiene factors of a hotel depends on quality of cleaning of bedsheets and towels. Guests uses these for many funny things and only a very effective cleaning will help the next users. Added to that are how clean are tv remote, curtains, desks and chairs. Plus conditions of crockeries and cutleries at hotel restaurant.
    Once in a while when I am staying in not so high end hotels (vacations and holiday trips) I notice these things and can clearly see why 5 star hotels charges more.

Henryp1
    Participant

Canā€™t say Iā€™ve really noted if all the hotel items are sealed or not, but then a lot if not most of regular items for purchase in shops are not sealed, so can be opened and examined. I rarely use the hotel items, but if they are of decent quality I take and donate to homeless shelters.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Soap is usually sealed or in boxes, but you can very quickly see if it’s been used or not. Shampoo’s etc I’ve rarely seen them in sealed containers – if ever. I’ve never really thought about it though I have wondered if the staff in some hotels don’t refill them from a master bottle?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I would very much prefer to have a pump-action bottle for all this stuff rather than add tons of plastic waste to the world, not to mention all the product that its thrown away because it is in a partially used bottle.

I am not particularly worried about contamination – most of these products only go on your skin, rather than into your body (and yes, I am aware that things can be absorbed through the skin, but bear with me). Most of them are immediately washed off. Unless the product in question is caustic, toxic, or allergenic it is very unlikely to affect you unless you have a skin condition or an open wound. If you have a skin condition then you should probably use your own toiletries, and if you have an open wound you should be disinfecting it or wearing a waterproof dressing anyway (if you know what’s good for you).

If the concern is that you might be using a product that someone else has used (ie touched) before, then I can only assume that you refuse to shake hands, and don’t touch anything that another human has touched. Nothing else would be logical.

I think we all need to bear in mind that exposure to common or garden germs is, for the most part, healthy and natural. We all depend to a significant extent on exposure to germs in order to build immunity to them. I know that sounds somewhat contradictory, but unless you have a compromised immune system, living in an aseptic environment is actually very unhealthy. I do have a compromised immune system, as it happens, yet I really don’t worry about this stuff. When I think about all the time I spent as a kid climbing trees, and playing with mud, and generally exposing myself to as many germs as possible, I don’t regret it at all.

On the other hand, if the concern is deliberate contamination, then I can only say that paranoia beckons. Do you check the sofa cushions to see if a poisoned needle is sticking out of it? Do you have a personal food taster? Do you test the tapwater in your room? Do you travel with your own bedding? There are too many other ways for someone to mount an attack for it to be worth worrying about, IMHO.

4 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Recently visited Malta, and stayed in an AirBnB property. fantastic location in Bugibba and a hospitable host made it great value alternative.
    Anyway, arriving late at night, with cabin baggage restricted luggage meant I went for my morning shower totally dependent on what was available in the bathroom……lots of little bottles of this and that , clearly amassed/left by previous guests from establishments from all over the world !!

Itā€™s a bloody smelly dilemma?
    Is this a treasured collection or a varied choice of strawberry, peach , lavender shampoos to set you up for an invigorating day ahead.

Anyway, neither myself or my travelling companions risked breaking up the collection, and opted to use the stuff from the already opened bottle of brown gloop, made by a high end toiletry manufacturer sitting , in the shower. Safe to sayā€¦. The priority definitely was the local supermarket to get normal shower Gelā€¦..And so, his toiletry collection was added to by the end of the trip!!

And as Iain mentioned, Iā€™m still alive to tell the tale.

Incidentally, the Penta Hotel chain actually have all their toiletries sealed in a clear plastic bag !! A bag that could possibly be re-used to replace those nonsense airport security bags?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls