TK slowest service in the air??

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• maxgeorge
    Participant

I recently switched to TK from BA as, among other things, their Miles&Smiles program is actually worth something, unlike BA’s Avios availability, which, unless you’re booking economy, or midweek to Kiev, is sparse indeed.

The flights I’ve had on TK so far (IST-LAX, IST-JNB) have been fine. Food both in the lounges and from the on-board chef has been as good as or better than Club World,and the staff attentive and polite. Remember, some cultures – Korean, Finnish, for example – regard bubbly bonhomie as inane, and a fixed smile as fake, so if you want jollity from your cabin staff, fly SouthWest.

The wine list is a bit sparse, however, and ask for a Port and you may get a Cabernet. As for the Efes beer, well, it’s better than a Quilmes I suppose..

Note that if you’re on the IST-JNB-CPT flight, hang on to your boarding pass. They’ll want to collect it before letting you disembark in Jo’burg.

On the plus side, TK’s network is extensive and their fares very competitive. And they’ll throw in a city tour of Istanbul if your connections permit it. You’ll get Star Alliance elite status with only 40k miles, and, therewith, discounted companion fares on Turkish.

There’s an airside hotel at IST. Very handy. Nice arrivals lounge. too, double espressos and fresh cooked full English on demand.

Also: the new Star Alliance lounge at LAX Bradley is now open. Very much improved – the old one was like a transport caff on the A5.

All round, good service, good value, good food.

canucklad
    Participant

Looking forward to trying out TK next month, on our way to the HK 7s. Will write my review on my return to Blighty and after the beer monsters have left my system : )

Talking of beer, not going to get access to the lounge, so any suggestions on the best bar to have a wee drink whilst we transit through IST ?

On the downside, TK still haven’t recognised my AC aeroplan number on the booking. One more call today, followed by an e-mail and then it’s time to adopt Papillions approach me thinks !

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi Canucklad about your forthcoming TK flight and getting your Aeroplan number on the booking, TK are notorious for not putting in the number of Star Alliance partners, indeed go out of their way to NOT put it in the system.

When I flew TK 2 years ago I gave my United number over the phone to their (actually apart from this aspect,good ) UK call centre, at check-in and when trying to check in online on the 3 subsequent sectors, and not once did my UA number appear on the boarding card.

Months later I chased this with UA and gave all my flight details, and only then did I get the miles allocated. The person at United MilagePlus Centre(usually also very good) in the states did tell me Turkish were quite well known for doing this.

Do not give up trying but make sure to keep all your boarding cards etc to show later on to Aeroplan if needed. Good luck and look forward to your usual great storytelling abilities after!

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers for the heads up sparkyflyer, will definately keep my boarding passes : )

JohnHarper
    Participant

Thanks for that info sparkyflyer, Mrs JH and I have just booked a couple of flights on Turkish and while Mrs JH said the booking process was easy she didn’t have my LH card to hand at the time so didn’t enter my number, now there is no way of going back and amending the booking to put it in and seemingly I have to wait until check in.

I must say it will be good though to fly to IST in a proper C class rather than the usual short haul European offering.

GoonerLondon
    Participant

I think it depends what you are used to.

When I fly in the States I usually find the crew spring into action much later than I’m used to on BA. I don’t know if this is a health and safety issue?

Either way, you get used to the routine of your main carrier, so for me you generally get a drink pretty quick into the flight (and it keeps coming!)

GoonerLondon
    Participant

JohnHarper – might be worth a quick phone call, particularly if you’ve Star Status

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

Sorry to hear of your tardy service, tarisingh. I’m a regular TK flyer, and I’d suggest you were unlucky to have 4 below par services in a row. Like many airlines good and bad, the service on the day can vary greatly. On the whole, TK has been good for me with very delicious and plentiful food and drink, swift professional service, and frequent on-time arrivals. IST is also pleasant to transit through (if you know where to go). The crew even managed a warm smile and welcome on a recent 0415 departure from Tbilisi.

onajetplane
    Participant

Flew to IST from LGW yesterday. 2hours 20minutes until the meal service. 2hours 25minutes before the first drink service.

And it took 55minutes for the bags to appear in IST (albeit this was not really the fault of TK).

Also the flight was seemingly full and the cabin was absolutely roasting! Maybe they turned the heat up to send everyone to sleep!?

Such shambolic service times though. Will definitely revert to BA on the LON – IST route in future…

Really do find it hard to understand how TK seemingly wins so many awards…

sparkyflier
    Participant

onajetplane that is totally unacceptable, and frankly is treating passengers with total contempt.

It reminds me of an Olympic flight I took from LHR-ATH a few years ago onan A340. They blamed “turbulence”, but it was the smoothest flight I had ever been on.Sheer lazyness.

If that is how they treated you then go back to BA.

Rumour is though that TK will lease A380s, and for sure LHR will be a route on which that would ply.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls