Tips for saving money on car rentals

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)

• Anonymous

Do you hire cars frequently? How do you keep costs down?

What tips do you have for saving money on fuel, avoiding paying for what you don’t need, or finding a good deal?

NTarrant
    Participant

Where possible, as it is not in some places, always return the car with a full tank and not accept their tank of fuel. Despite them saying its cheaper than the local pumps, it rarely is and then you only pay for what you use.

Car hire is a mine field with varying conditions in differing locations even in the same country. Pricing is far from transparent.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Book it as soon as possible. If rates dip to stimulate demand or over supply you can cancel original (at no cost) and get better rate, if rate goes up due to demand then you have a pocketed the best deal.

Usually I find the closer the booking date is to the date required the higher the cost.

If money is very limited, or you are planning a one-way only, consider a car driveaway – you could get lucky and transport some quite prestigous vehicles.

In less developed places don’t believe that renting, usually at a higher rate, from a known / global brand provides reputational protection – it does not. Most brands are franchises who will exploit the same range of nefarious practices as the less expensive local/regional operations.

RichHI1
    Participant

I keep rechecking and reboook when the rates dip. At present for examplecars in US for January are stupid prices, they will dip around May-June and then bounce up and down as demand and supply are balanced. Biggest mistake is Prebooking and prepaying then you are locked in and I find making changes virtualy impossible without significant penalty.

Binman62
    Participant

1. Platinum Amex card….worth its weight in platinum for the saving on the excesses and other insurances.

2. money supermarket.com for mutiple quotes from 1 set of entries. Have recently had 2 single days of hire from on airport suppliers via holiday autos for less than £20 a day. Small cars of course.

3. unless you need a big car always book group A, they never have one and I have never failed to get an upgrade.

4. Always book in advance but with fee free cancellation.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Almost Confucian…..!

I booked my summer car hire this week.

I have found that booking very far ahead isn’t cost -effective (almost double the cost, but cancellable) and checking about six weeks ahead resulted in a good deal at http://www.avisba.com using AWD code N744400

Plus bonus Avios, natch.

The pre-pay prices seem to be best value right now; you do lose flexibility, but other than that it’s the best course of action.

I always stick with Hertz or Avis as I value the No. 1 Club Gold/Avis Preferred perks; other providers are cheaper but often aren’t open when you need them, require a long wait in line, or don’t have convenient drop off locations.

Here are the Exec Club perks for renting with Avis:

Executive Club benefits As an Executive Club Member you will enjoy competitive prices, experience preferential service and clock up Avios with Avis.

Earn 3 Avios for every £1 spent on Avis car rental. Minimum 500 Avios per rental, worldwide

Join Avis Preferred for the fastest way to rent a car and receive 500 bonus Avios on your first Avis Preferred rental plus a complimentary car upgrade on your next rental

Rent with Avis four times or more in a calendar year and receive 750 bonus Avios

Pay for your Avis car rental using your British Airways American Express card and earn 250 bonus Avios Miles on top of the Avios awarded on the card transaction

Free additional driver with every rental, worldwide

Competitive rental rates worldwide – book using your Executive Club membership number to ensure you obtain the best price available

Discounted Prestige Meet & Greet at London Heathrow

Papillion53
    Participant

VK@12:22

Thanks for that link – just checked for our car hire in Oz – I have a reservation with Thrifty – it wasnt the cheapest some months ago but back then all the big players, Avis, Hertz etc wanted nearly double, so guess what this canny Scot booked! 😉 – but today on avisba.com was offered a car for same dates etc for similar price including all those bonus avios! I would be happier booking Avis as don’t know anything about Thrifty.

So discussions this evening methinks with the one who pays!

Thanks VK – I’ve almost forgiven you for the choccie link! 🙂

VintageKrug
    Participant

If you’re in Sydney or Perth and want the lowest possible cost car hire, and won’t be driving far (it’s mileage restricted) I’ve used “No Birds” before (so called because they don’t pay models to advertise their product!).

Always go for the 2012 cars, but ideal for zipping around town for a couple of days:

http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/noBirds.aspx

Papillion53
    Participant

VK – LOL! – we’re doing a two week road trip from Brisbane back down to Sydney, so will probably get stuck with a one way fee but the Avis rate was really very good, so will defo look into it. 🙂

rkearns100
    Participant

I’m flying to Geneva in a few months for a trip to Southeast France and need to rent a car. Apparently you can rent a car at the airport either on the French side or the Swiss side? Any recommendations which I should choose? Thanks!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

In Florida, always return with full fuel, not empty and ensure that it is noted on the hire contract.

Always check taxes and add ons. Funny how they mysteriously appear when not needed.

If the company say you cant, tell them you can!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Rkearns, you can rent from either side and the rates vary according to demand and car type. Best to check the online websites.

From experience I’ve found the Swiss cars better maintained and cleaner than the French ones, but that could equally be my prejudice kicking in!

However, as you are going to be driving in France I’d probably go with the French side. If for any reason you have to curtail your trip, or leave from another airport, you’ll be hit very hard with a one way rental fee. This applies equally renting from the Swiss side and returning to the French side and vv.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Avis BA used to waive the one way fee, though I haven’t checked if that’s valid in Australia or not.

Papillion53
    Participant

VK – there didnt appear to be a one way fee but I just got a quick quote, so will be interesting to see when I go into make a booking what happens.

Will let you know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls