Tipping in hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

As a matter of principle I now remove this optional charge saying I won’t be forced or embarrassed into tipping and had it not been added I would have been generous. If I go back I find it’s either not there or been crossed out. Other friends and colleagues of mine are now doing the same thing. It’s taking liberties I think!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Ditto with that $/£/Euro they add to hotel bills for some giant charity. Off it comes. I give to those who get the majority of my £ not to pay some ceo’s big salary and large car!

NTarrant
    Participant

LP – quite agree about the charity thing, I wonder how many people pay up for fear of being seen as mean or uncharitable? I was once given a bill in a Hilton, in the UK, which had £2.00 added as I had stayed two nights!

On asking what it was for the receptionist said “oh that’s for our local charity, it’s a pound a night ” I said “please remove it” “your the only one to have complained ” she said “probably because the other people were too frightened to say anything” I replied

Charles-P
    Participant

Having recently seen the pay of some major charity CEO’s I have changed much of my charitable giving preferring now to give to smaller organisations.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You’re right Nigel, most just pay up without even looking, pretend not to notice or are embarrassed, especially if it’s a nice young attractive person you’re dealing with.

Luckily embarrassment seems to fade with age though I do explain why I’m not paying and then point out just how big charities operate, refer to Dambisa Moyo and her book “Dead Aid”, that charities have no incentive to cure the problem as if they did they’d be out of business. Lecture over I leave though they do politely listen!

Charles. Fully agree and I’m the same.

ccCookie
    Participant

Also agree with Charles.

When ‘charities’ spend 80-90% (or more) of donations on ‘administrative’ costs … well, I’d rather donate the money to the actual hand that needs it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I take a slightly different view on hotel tipping (and I am sure it was someone on here who “taught me”).

When any sum is added on a hotel bill for charity, I will gladly pay it, as long as someone from the hotel management team matches it…

Never found one yet that is willing to do so…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice one Martyn – though I still don’t wish to fill further the coffers of the Red Cross etc. I might just try that one day.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

The sooner they get rid of the 10% service charge on every charge the the better. It is a rate hike in disguise.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

The sooner they get rid of the 10% service charge on every charge the better. It is a rate hike in disguise.

jsn55
    Participant

Love this idea, Martyn. I’ve only noticed it once, at the Lyon Hilton, and I pushed the front desk clerks around for ten minutes* trying to get them to explain the charity’s efforts to me. I wish I had thought to offer a matching donation opportunity!

* while the dear husband hid behind a pillar

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hueyjudy, Hilton and Sheraton both add this charge. I might try your tactic one day. Nice one.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

From Sky News..

http://news.sky.com/story/1688462/tips-should-go-straight-to-staff-says-govt

My thoughts now are along the lines that Tips should only be left in cash and Service Charges (which apparently are discretionary), should be removed.

Is there really any reason to include a Service Charge…?

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I’ve long insisted on the removal of service charges in both hotels and restaurants and when I think I’ve had good service I hand over cash to the individuals concerned. It’s simple and straightforward and it gets to where I want it to go.

Over the last five years we have had a company policy that service charges are not reimbursed anyway so on business travel asking for them to be removed has become the norm so I now do it by default.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Well the government announcement this morning of a review of service charges in restaurants is timely. I hope that review is extended to hotels where that service charge is a rate rise by any other name

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 124 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls