Tipping in hotels

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)

• DavidGordon10
    Participant

I notice that, back on 5 August, I put a note in this thread asking that one of our American friends post something that we Europeans would understand, and that would justify the USA tipping culture.

Nothing so far! A few European posts saying it is OK for really good service, but no-one from America to justify what, to many of us, seems mad.

As I noted earlier, service is generally good both in the USA and in Denmark. Tips are almost never seen in Denmark: and which country has the greatest contentment, the best social cohesion, the best education, the best maternal and baby health care….? I could go on.

ConstantFlyer
    Participant

When a US person goes on a business trip in the USA, does their employer pay the tips as part of the employee’s hotel/meal expenses?

dutchyankee
    Participant

As a dual national, American and Dutch, I come from both sides, whereby in the USA of course it is second nature to tip for good service, and actually, in many cases, to tip even for mediocre or poor service. In the Netherlands, service is included, although there I likewise always tip if the service is good. Most companies I have worked for would accept tips on my expense account for trips to the USA, whether on my CC to a max 20% of the bill, or cash up to USD $50 without receipt. I am not sure what the norm is, but I had this with most.

As to rationale, the United States operates very much on a two tiered minimum wage, where what I would call the HORECA industry (mainly F&B driven jobs) are at the lower wage as it is known and therefore expected that these employees will be tipped. So of course, when an employee is earning a far lower wage, living off of tips, doesn’t receive a tip due to a client not understanding this situation, it has an adverse effect on that server.

Whether one agrees with this or not is to each their own, but this is the reason tips are expected in the USA. Does it for the most part, encourage better service, I think most would say yes when compared to a number of western European countries where service is included, and therefore the server really cant be bothered either way. Not wanting to generalize of course as I have had great service in France and Belgium on occasion where service is included, and appalling service on rare occasion in the USA, but for the most part, the service culture in the USA is quite good.

unfortunately I do feel the tipping situation has gotten way out of hand, especially in cities such as New York, where leaving 15% is now looked down upon and 20 to 25% is the expected norm, which to me is just ridiculous. I also hate countries that say Service is included, but the staff never see it even if it is a line item on the bill. I have been known to cross that line off if the service was not up to scratch, or if I wanted instead to leave a cash tip to the server thereby ensuring the server gets the tip.

I hate being made to feel guilty, cheap, rude, or at fault, and have learned to adjust to what the norm is in the country I am in.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

ConstantFlyer – 30/09/2015 13:05 BST

To answer your question, it may depend on the company. I used to work for a USA based company & all cash tips were paid back as ‘out of pocket expenses’ – however, around the time I was leaving, they were implementing a ‘maximum tip policy’ as well as ‘all cash tips at own expense’.

In other words, 15% max tip which MUST be part of the invoice, payable ONLY on the non taxable part of the invoice. If you wished to add more, you paid it yourself.

$1 – $5 tips to valet parking, doormen, barmen et al – out of your own pocket….no receipt, no claim.

I now work for a Scandinavian company who have recently installed a maximum tip scheme when travelling to the US or Canada….If you feel like giving a bigger tip – pay it yourself….

lcpteck
    Participant

Coming from Singapore, we are not accustomed to tipping since 10% service charge is always included in the bill (whether good or bad or even no service). In Asia in general there’s not really any tipping culture.

I’m traveling to the US and Europe next year and was wondering is a 10% tip (on untaxed portion of the bill) acceptable? Or it’s different for both US and Europe? Just wanted to make it more convenient for myself and also so I don’t need to whip out phone calculator looking stupid. I have tipped housekeeping staff in Asian hotels, I just usually leave it on the bed when they’re making up the rooms.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Icpteck, 10% in the US will be met with horror and negative reactions! 15% is really the acceptable minimum to tip in a restaurant. For a taxi or doorman a couple of bucks is fine. For housekeeping, it is not required as they are on a different wage scale but it is always a kind gesture as they are hard working and on minimum wage. I would suggest however to place it in an envelope on the bed. For most of europe in my experience service is included but doesn’t always go to the staff so 10% would be fair. Others on here will be able to give more insight I am sure.

lcpteck
    Participant

Wow 15% tip… If I’m eating in the hotel restaurant and it’s billed to my room, I just fill out 15% on the bill and sign or I have to write out the exact tip? Man it’s so complicated. 🙁

Maybe I should limit myself to 2 meals a day and buy stuff from 7-Eleven instead. 😉

Anybody have insights for Europe? Western and Eastern Europe?

ontherunhome
    Participant

Dear Icpteck
    I agree with Dutchyankee. With regards maids an envelope with a thank you on it makes sure they are not accused of stealing. often if i see the maid , i will give $5 direct to her, no confusion, and you know she gets it.

In my view US service has become worse, and tips are expected regardless. I will however tell the manager if service is bad, and that i am not leaving a tip in those situations. Then the server will know to improve.

In many places the 15%, is now creeping up to 18-20% and is suggested on the ticket. Do not tip on tax. Tips also should be in keeping with the effort. involved.

6Continents
    Participant

As leisure travellers the Wife and I now avoid North America and the Caribbean, we simply cannot be bothered with all this tipping nonsense and all the attitude that goes with it.

ccCookie
    Participant

DavidGordon

As a Canadian living in Dubai, I’ve been to the USA quite a bit, and to many Asian countries. As other people in this thread note, tipping is next to unheard of in Singapore (for example) … indeed a taxi driver will turn with the 20 cents change in his hand expecting that you will take it. Contrast that with Canada, where a taxi driver would *expect* to be keeping $5 change from a $20.

Again, and as others have noted, a 10% service charge is included in bills in Singapore. Typically I will tip additionally. It is uniformly appreciated (however unexpected.)

Also, I never really much minded tipping in the USA, since the prices for drinks etc was so much lower than in Canada. I was happy to actually. People would drive across the border to purchase groceries, gasoline, etc (maybe not so much now that the Canadian dollar has tanked.)

As for your remarks that some person from USA should accept your challenge and jump in to defend the tipping practices in USA … well, take a breath.

You obviously are very proud of Denmark; and it sounds like a wonderful country; what with the “social cohesion” and all. Possibly however you have answered your own question (maybe you *should* have went on … and on … to have discovered it for yourself.) Denmark has the “greatest contentment” … ? Well then David, possibly what are usually lower paying jobs on average are better remunerated in Denmark? Possibly they have health care more readily affordable that Americans? Possibly these are reasons that some citizens of USA might require a bit more of a hand up? Possibly you can be a little less narcissistic …?

Not many people tip in Dubai. It’s only about a 7 hour flight for you. Come. You can save a couple of bucks …

DavidGordon10
    Participant

ccCookie – I am not Danish (so no reason to be proud of it as my country) but I had the pleasure of having an office there for seven years. My point is that it is a happier and much more socially just country than the USA. Lower paying jobs are better paid than in the USA – the Gini coefficient is much lower. So, yes, some citizens of the USA might need a hand up, but it would (in my opinion) be far better to have a more equitable pay structure than to require the visitor to pay for this “hand up” through an arbitrary and (to us) pretty imcomprehensible tipping system. Nothing narcissistic about that idea.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@ ccCookie

‘As for your remarks that some person from USA should accept your challenge and jump in to defend the tipping practices in USA … well, take a breath.’

Well I am a dual national, and while I agree with all that you say, the only reason I will defend the tipping situation in the USA is the fact that there is a two tiered pay system in place, and without tips those employees simply would not have a liveable wage.

What will be interesting is how the situation will change as the Liveable wage changes that are sweeping across the US at the moment, if this becomes the rule, and one liveable minimum wage exists instead of the current system, I wonder about those working in the restaurant business how they will feel that the main ethical rationale to tip has been removed, and their tips are reduced.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It seems one US restaurant chain is abolishing typing tipping, though the price will increase so the staff can be paid a proper wage. Link to the article in the FT here.

http://tablet.olivesoftware.com/Olive/Tablet/FTUK/SharedArticle.aspx?href=FTU%2F2015%2F10%2F17&id=Ar01605

Otherwise goggle Danny Meyer Restaurants.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have also seen a few articles about a new culture of no tipping restaurants in the USA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/24/business/economy/as-minimum-wage-rises-restaurants-say-no-to-tips-yes-to-higher-prices.html?_r=0

Some seem to be adding a 20% admin charge to bills or just increasing the menu prices. So is this just a case of repackaging to make the tip a more pleasant experience…. 🙂

MartynSinclair
    Participant

American style tipping in London..

Drinking with a group of friends at a bar (standing by the bar) at 1 Lombard Street – each round was hit with an “OpGratuity” of 12.5% automatically added. I did mention to the Manager that this appeared to be a compulsory gratuity….

The only service being provided was the server making the drink, which presumably is the cost of the drink…

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 124 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls