Tier points?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

@openfly, thanks for correcting my typo.

GreenScot
    Participant

This year has felt like I have returned to my second home of spending time in airport lounges.

One World – I hit my second highest-ever BA Tier Points amount close to three times this year’s GGL retain threshold. Most earnings on flights have been transatlantic or US transcon, plus three QR dual-legged returns. I was also greatly helped by a Las Vegas BA holiday in F on double Tier Points with a connection on the East Coast. That trip alone, where I also added in an additional transcon return to the East Coast for work, alone netted me about 80% of this year’s GGL retain threshold.

SkyTeam – I also renewed my Flying Blue Platinum by a country mile. As I have been working in Atlanta since September, many flights have been on Delta Domestic, which does not get much in the way of XP. Had I pushed things, I wonder if I could have gotten Flying Blue Ultimate if I had stuck to the GGL retain threshold in the current year and then gone hard on AF or KLM tickets for transatlantic flights.

Star Alliance – I’ll renew by Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold at Christmas without setting foot on Aegean, thanks to a couple of judicious routings on Air Canada and Swiss. I will at least try and get a Greece trip in, though, around Easter. It seems crazy to me that I only need to take 1.5 trips to renew my Star Gold.

All in all, despite not flying until early March and then the past three months in the US replacing long-haul travel with US domestic, I have flown far too much. I said the same in 2019, mind you. I know I will not hit this volume next year as corporate travel is already taking a hit due to the economic downturn. If I hit my GGL, it will likely be through blowing a load of cash on leisure travel. I do, however, look forward to not having to set foot in Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson airport with any such regularity as a present – bloody awful airport.

TonyR
    Participant

@GreenScot. That’s an impressive amount of travel in a short time. I think though if you are US oriented in your travel you probably have much less of a problem. It’s if Asia has historically been a focus or significant component of your travel and that is still pretty difficult with countries closed and flights not flying. BA have only just reinstated a flight to Tokyo a month after Japan reopened its doors for example.

FormerBA
    Participant

My wife and I are now both Gold thanks to reduced thresholds but also due to the simply staggeringly inept BA IT systems.

Avios flights re-booked into commercial fare buckets and producing tier points and avios. A First sector being credit twice. It has been very rewarding

And it’s not limited to BA. IB have recently cancelled an avios flight and rebooked it in a commercial fare class for next year.

GreenScot
    Participant

@GreenScot. That’s an impressive amount of travel in a short time. I think though if you are US oriented in your travel you probably have much less of a problem. It’s if Asia has historically been a focus or significant component of your travel and that is still pretty difficult with countries closed and flights not flying. BA have only just reinstated a flight to Tokyo a month after Japan reopened its doors for example.

@TonyR – I would agree the US angle to my work has been the determiner. And whilst I have loved living and travelling in/to Asia, I realise it would have been an altogether different year had I not being doing what I do.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller November 2022 edition
Business Traveller November 2022 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls