Ticketing with QF flight number for flights on Qantas with Emirates connection

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• FrequentTraveller
    Participant

I am about to book a business class return from LHR to HKG, via DXB. I can use http://www.emirates.com and carefully select my flights so the outbound LHR to DXB sector and return DXB to LHR sector are on Qantas metal. With both sectors between DXB and HKG on Emirates metal. But I suspect the ticket will be issued with all flights using Emirates flight numbers.

Does anybody know on how I can book this return journey on one PNR and get a Qantas flight number for the first and last sectors?

The reason for trying to do this is to earn BA Executive Club Avios on the Qantas flights instead of Emirates SkyReward miles. I believe for that to be possible the ticket needs to have the Qantas flight number. I know I won’t get miles for the sectors between DXB and HKG.

If I attempt a booking on the Qantas web site, then I cannot select HKG as a final destination. I tried to work around that by using the Multi-city option to enter each sector individually. That gave a booking on-line is not possible message.

Booking the journey as two separate tickets 1) LHR – DXB return and 2) DXB – HKG return, is too expensive.

I have already investigated ex-Europe flights on BA and discarded that option due to the additional travel time required.

I have investigated flights on Qatar via DOH and other airlines via their hubs, but they are too expensive.

Thanks

barnacles
    Participant

I would have thought, if the flight is a codeshare, that it will have both a QF and EK number. Take a photo of the QF number (for example on an airport screen), et voilà! Or if you need the flight number(s) before flying, consult the QF timetable, which will presumably feature it/them. Hope this may help. David

cotswoldsw
    Participant

You could search on sky scanner and that will direct you to the websites offering flights with the QF code for the LHR – DXB legs. I know that you can fly DXB – BKK on Emirates with a QF code but that might be because that flight continues on to SYD, don’t think there’s a codeshare to HKG.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

cotswoldsw: Thanks for the suggestion of using sky scanner. I tried that and also Kayak, but was unable to find booking sites which would provide QF flight numbers for the first and last sectors of this journey. Correct there is no codeshare on the DXB to HKG sectors, which probably explains why QF does not appear in the search results on various sites.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Nothing like wanting to have your AVIOS and eat them ! I guess BA isn’t so bad after all when you are flying free with them….

BrotherJim
    Participant

[quote quote=766051]I would have thought, if the flight is a codeshare, that it will have both a QF and EK number. Take a photo of the QF number (for example on an airport screen), et voilà! Or if you need the flight number(s) before flying, consult the QF timetable, which will presumably feature it/them. Hope this may help. David

[/quote]

Not that simple. Sometimes you cannot just book a code share without having come from or travelling on other flights.

For example Qantas used to (and may still do) code share on BA flights to Europe from London, but you could only book them if they were part of an itinerary where you flew on from Australia or Asia. Eg QF1 LHR-SYD then ok to book QF codeshare to Europe.

I am not going to say this is 100% the case with Emirates, but I am willing to bet what the OP wants to do won’t be possible. With the QF code share ‘reserved’ for those that have actually originated or are destinted for Australia. Rather than LHR to HKG.

peter19
    Participant

I think it’s right and I have read that the QF code may not be available or appear when it doesn’t hit an Oz location on the websites – you would need the help of a TA/TM to get it for you.

TominScotland
    Participant

FrequentTraveller

If you are looking for a Tier Point Harvest (but willing to accept relatively few Avios), have you looked at RJ to Hong Kong, from London that is 280 Tier Points each way, double the BA offering and the same as QR? Outward connections in Amman are good but there is a stop in BKK en route both directions. Return leg has about a 5+ hour wait in Amman from memory. Product and service are fine but not up with the best.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion of RJ. I did consider them, unfortunately they don’t have a return flight on my preferred day of travel. For this journey I am not worried about trying to gain tier points, as I already have enough for my next membership year. I was just trying to see if I could get some extra Avois out of the situation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls