Thomson Airways B787 Dreamliner Premium Class long-haulCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines Thomson Airways Thomson Airways B787 Dreamliner Premium Class long-haul

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  SimonS1 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

BobbySamelakPain
    Participant

Me and wife travelled to Mexico for our honeymoon. We had travelled with Thomson before and on the whole were satisfied with their service. When we booked our holiday we were informed we would be on the Dreamliner. My wife couldn’t contain her excitement and insisted on Premium Economy.

So a year later, October 2013 had arrived. The first signs were very encouraging. At Gatwick North, Thomson have a separate check-in for Premium Economy. We did get some stares from the economy passengers but as this was a honeymoon we could justify the expensive. We then discovered we were going through the Premium Security channel – our hand luggage had already been scanned before we got to the end. The staff were impeccable. It didn’t feel like a meat factory herding cattle into lanes!

Once our flight was ready for boarding, the Premium passengers got on first – we could hear mutters from the other passengers saying ‘lucky so and so’s’. The thing that amazed me was the height of the cabin – seriously there’s plenty of headroom. Overhead baggage compartments are massive.

The seats themselves look plush. There was a pampering kit from Rituals (never heard of them) with the usual earplugs etc and a blanket. Seating down was interesting. Except for row 1, the armrests protrude so far out that it’s a real challenge trying to get into your seat. Pitch recline is virtually minimal and that means you can’t sleep comfortably. Leg room is generous.

We had a complimentary take-off drink and before we knew it, the plane took off. It’s no exaggeration that people have said it’s quiet. There’s still noise but it’s subdued. Looking out from our windows the engines looked magnificent and the sweeping wing design is beautiful. The windows are the most novel aspect of the plane – they’re bigger and use some kind of system that dims them. It’s quite impressive.

The stewards and stewardesses couldn’t do enough for us. Drinks galore and the meals were better than average served with proper cutlery. Makes a nice change to plastic.

Getting sleep on the plane though is virtually next to impossible because of the poor incline. They really should have given some more thought with the armrests that contains the IFE. The IFE itself was comprehensive and with some spare charging ports, we watching films from our phones.

My concern was flying back from Mexico. The plane had developed a fault (pretty normal for a new plane). The engineers had to call Thomsons at Manchester airport to get technical advice! Our cabin was the source of the error (I hasten I had nothing to do with it!) so we off the plane for five hours lounging around the airport which was nice. A towel and hair dryer fixed the problem (wiring inside the plane had condensation). Finally we were back on the plane and eight hours later back in the UK.

On the whole we were happy with premium economy and the wife must have really been impressed as she said Virgin PE paled into comparison. Hopefully Virgin will up the ante with their Dreamliners soon. I would hesitate about flying long haul on the Dreamliner because of the poor recline and armrests – everything else is near to perfect.

Panda01
    Participant

Thomson Airways 787 premium class is just premium economy. It would be ok to upgrade if it didn’t cost much to upgrade. I don’t see the point with Thomson, , why not just put business class seat, even Singapore airlines 777 regional business class is much better.

But if there is no business class, then Thomson should just make it all economy class, it would save them a lot of money and it would also save people money from the disappointment.

SergeantMajor
    Participant

It would be interesting to know how much you paid in total per ticket.

Panda01
    Participant

I would imagine that the ticket cost the same as a normal business class, so about a £1000. If it did cost that much then money not well spent.

dutchyankee
    Participant

Bobby, my only comment would be in response to your quote ` I would hesitate about flying long haul on the Dreamliner because of the poor recline and armrests,` which I guess is fine if you meant for Thomson, but I am sure you understand each airline has their own type of seats on their respective Dreamliners, and hence the same recline, pitch, arm rest issue will most likely not be encountered on other airlines` Dreamliners!

Panda01
    Participant

BA Club World is lie-flat on the 787.

Panda01
    Participant

BA Club World is lie-flat on the 787.

SimonS1
    Participant

Not in Premium Economy it isn’t. Which is what the OP was travelling in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.