Thomson Airways B767-300ER (283 seats) v3 Standard Class long-haul

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

laciaboots
    Participant

Out bound from Newcastle to Florida 9 hours only came around twice with drinks trolly, I get 2 rounds on a 4 hour flight, bearing in mind you are supposed to drink loads of non alchoholic drinks on long haul for dvt.

Inbound was an evening flight only 1 round of drinks, I rang for service I was told to come to the back of the plane to get served when I got there all the staff were sitting reading magazines.

I was told on a night flight they only come around once as people are sleeping , that is fair enough but should they not get off their a*** and actually serve you instead of passenger having to go back and forwards when staff do not seem to be bothered. But that still does not explain why they only come around twice on a daylight journey.

It is disgraceful and not acceptable in either journey, after I got drinks they shouted over tannoy anyone wanting drinks please come to the back of the plane, ha that really helped people sleep

craigwatson
    Participant

You dont get out much do you? That is standard with pretty much all airlines in economy. Drinks service with your meal, and maybe one more service then its up to your own devices with the self serve bar on normal carriers, or buy from a member of staff on low cost carriers like you were on.

Again even on the likes of QF/BA/VS on a night flight after the meal service is done and most are asleep the majority of the cabin crew will be chatting in the back galley to minimise noise in the cabin.

Normally I would say that if you pay low cost fares on long haul, you deserve what you get, but in this case I think you got just what you would have on a normal scheduled carrier, except for the bar bill of course, that would have been free.

LeTigre
    Participant

Craigwatson, I disagree with many of your views.

The fact of the matter is that people in flight get far more dehydrated than normally and require several rounds of drinks, arguing that this is practised by airlines such as BA is simply not cutting it. You are merely highlighting the low service standards across the industry.

Also, long-haul leisure flights are usually quite expensive, and you do not get much to show for it, but the whole idea of you get what you for is not what airlines should be looking for. Look at airlines like Oman and Qatar and you will see that customers in economy, no matter how much they pay, always get a good service!

andystock
    Participant

I found on KLM economy from ams to dxb they served drinks every hour on a night flight. Plus on a recent BA Cityflyer flight they served drinks twice from lcy to bcn.

PatJordan
    Participant

Too many drinks rounds on an evening/night flight might disturb passengers, leading to possible complaints.

Personally I like being able to visit the galley and help myself as and when I fancy a drink (whether soft or something stronger!).

Which is works best for the majority of pax? At a guess I’d say not being disturbed, but that’s only my opinion.

Pat

LeTigre
    Participant

It would be great for an airline to actually investigate this.

Ask in a survey something along the lines of:

How would you prefer to obtain beverages?
    -Help yourself
    -Cabin crew give on request
    -Regular cabin services

I would personally love airlines to introduce complimentary drinks machines in the galleys rather than space inefficient fridges, etc. Imagine how much space is wasted when you think of the fridge, the machinery inside the fridge, the space unable to used in the fridge, the packaging of the cans…I bet only 5% of the fridge volume is beverage!

Machines, on the other hand, could offer passenger use limits based on your boarding pass (scan upon use), payment once limits are exceeded, reduced need for service and supervision and a much more convenient service for passengers.

Anyone agree with the machine idea?

PatJordan
    Participant

Not a bad idea at all LeTigre. It would reduce labour costs, possibly increase choices available to pax.

No doubt Michael O’Leary would love the idea too………he would most likely make them coin operated !!

Pat

Vertrek
    Participant

Not quiet sure about the machine, unless for budget airlines, the sound of the machine would be annoying especially at night and for those who seat near by the robots and the time needed by the machine to get the drink would cause a Q, not to mention if the machine Jammed. Also, the wight of the machine and someone need to restock the machine by opening up and filling it up. Its a big no for me.

I still prefer the traditional warm SQ service style where they come out with drink every hour with a tray and speak softly. No one get disturbed and everyone can stay on their seat watching and playing with the amazing krisworld. I also remember in J when they came and asked those who are still awake if we need anything to eat or drink. Top class!

I also love the self service bar concept onboard SQ, QF and AF A380.

Safe travel

HonestCrew
    Participant

Service wise this can be a tricky one to balance. As crew members we don’t want to disturb people trying to sleep by constantly pacing up and down with trolleys or trays of drinks. Also, we don’t want the folk sat by the window seats to die of thirst. Having served customers from every nation you could think of, we learn who are most likely to ask for something and who are more meek and feel awkward asking. Passing through with cups of juice and water is usual practice on most premium airlines, frequency depends on how many people are awake. If the majority are awake and take a drink and it takes an eternity to complete then there will be less offerings. If the majority are sleeping crew are more likely to offer more often.

Another reason for not passing every 5 minutes is because on every night flight where virtually everyone is sleeping there will always be at least one idiot with their headphones on who shouts “ORANGE JUICE!!” as us, waking up half the cabin and thereby ensuring an elbow in the ribs from their annoyed wife sat next to them and dirty looks from everyone else.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls