Things one does not expect to see when travelling.

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

handbags comment reminds me of something I wish i had not seen. Travelling LH First to JNB, the FA made up the bed for the German gentleman sitting in 2B, then started to make my bed in 1A. While waiting the man just calmly and unashamedly started getting undressed, then stark naked got into the bed! I was astonished, never seen that before, but the FA told me many Germans prefer to sleep naked and it wasn’t the first time this had happened. They all choose to ignore it!

Blanicka
    Participant

This happened on our recent flight from Moscow to Singapore on Singapore airlines in business class.
    Just as my husband had started to eat his steak meal, the lady sitting across the aisle produce a large child’s potty, sited it in the aisle beside my husband and sat her child on it to do the business (‘number two’). Her child continued to use it during the flight.
    My husband asked the crew if they can do something but the only alternative they did was given him another seat, whilst telling nothing to the woman.
    To be fair to Singapore airlines, on our return we wrote to them to ask about Health and safety regarding using potty in an aisle and their reply was very apologetic.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Naked men standing visible in the cabin? Children (age not given) defecating in view in the cabin? Maybe it’s just me but both of those, in my view, and maybe it’s just me, are entirely inappropriate. Flying sounds less and less like fun.

canucklad
    Participant

LP and GivingUpBA — I wonder if its only men ?

I remember being on a Scotland trip with the Tartan Army and staying in a well-known chain hotel in Liege.
    Feeling a bit hungover and realizing the hair of the dog wasn’t working I headed back to the hotel for a sauna and swim to detox myself from the previous nights over indulgence.
    One of my mates 2 rugby playing sons decided that afternoon binge drinking didn’t fit into his healthy fitness regime, and could wait till the evening so accompanied me back to the hotel.

In his late teens, and unlike his beer swilling womanizing classic rugby playing brother, he was the polar opposite . A rather naïve good looking, well-toned sporting type.

After attempting a swim , into the sauna we went. Shooting the breeze , we were then joined by an absolute bikini clad stunner, around about the same age as mates laddie . Bo Derek looked like a one toothed , tobacco chewing hippopotamus in comparison.

Our chat continued, with my young friend now disguising his keenness for the our new sauna buddy by dexterously and cleverly shifting about as he sat. As we chatted, she soon started to show an interest in our conversation , naturally she seemed to be more interested in my friends point of view than mine. Easy to tell as her fluent English was met by his nervous gibberish.

Then the door swung open, and in entered a rather rotund hirsute baldy combed over German chap. Positioning himself directly opposite the teenage beauty!!
    Quicker than Zorro’s sword , he disrobes, sits with his legs apart and boldly displays his meat and 2 veg for all to see. His significant paunch only helping to make his bits and bobs droop even lower than what seems naturally possible.
    Then a lasciviousness leer , a strange grunt quickly followed by a reptilian tongue movement was enough for a blink in the eye disappearance for our bikini clad lass.

By the time I had convinced him that she was showing interest in him and he should catch up with her, invite her for a swim or whatever and see what happens, she had obviously been so freaked out, she was never seen again .

Now , a divorced , and married again to an Egyptian beauty he’ll still refer back to that German with less than favourable language that I can’t repeat : )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That made me laugh Canucklad. I just love your descriptive use of the English language.
    Germans have little shame when it comes to getting naked and are not in any way discreet. I guess we Brits are at the opposite end of that.

By coincidence, the captcha for this was full of german street signs!!! Synchronicity or what?

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=877781]Germans have little shame when it comes to getting naked and are not in any way discreet… [/quote]

Thanks, LP, and I like the one about the captcha and German street signs.

I believe you when you say that “Germans have little shame when it comes to getting naked” and are not discreet, but do they realize they are in a cabin with multiple nationalities in it? I have spent decades in the Far East and to many people, including females, from some cultures in the Far East, a passenger “getting naked” in view on a plane is deeply disturbing and upsetting. It is shocking and not the tiniest bit funny, allowable, or acceptable.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=877784]and to many people, including females, from some cultures in the Far East, a passenger “getting naked” in view on a plane is deeply disturbing and upsetting[/quote]

I would probably prefer to see a naked body, with the opportunity to turn away, than having to endure constant snorting in an airport lounge or aircraft cabin by those who deem it socially acceptable.

Answer – we all try and respect and understand each others cultures in an acceptable way when the cultures mix….

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls