Things I miss

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• TonyR
    Participant

The days when they would wheel out a food trolley and serve your meal from it by carving the meat and adding the veg etc under your guidance rather than handing you a pre-plated meal.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Having started my air travels in the late 1960s there are many things I miss.

Here are five of them:

1. Using Berlin Tempelhof arguably the finest ‘close in’ airport.

2. Landing at HKG Kai Tak.

3. BEA’s original domestic Shuttle launched in 1975. Imagine being able to check-in with luggage just 10 mins before departure even at LHR ! And imagine being able to turn up for any flight at any time and be guaranteed a seat (even if the next service departed a few mins later).

4. Taking SAS to Scandinavia in its heyday with Jan Carlzon when staff moral was so high.

5. Flying the Super VC-10.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Who were the “strange people”.

thecartoonman
    Participant

Airline paper timetables. I used to like collecting them and all the airlines used to have them and with the aircraft type to be used duly noted, so Visc, Vang, Tri, VC10, DC8, 747 etc.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I remember the days of phoning 01 759 2595 to find out the landing time of a flight .. not sure whether that phone number was for Heathrow in general, or for a Pan Am flight.

I miss

National Airlines DC10 flight 99 from LHR to MIA

SAA 747s, especially the SPs & stopping at Isla Do Sal on the return flight

The jump seat, especially the jump seat when landing at Kai Tak, Hong Kong

Air New Zealand First Class in the 747, where food was top notch, and pre 911, every dish was covered for all 12 passengers in the reclining chairs.
    Air NZ London to LAX & onward to either SYD or AKL

Parking directly outside the terminal at STN before the likes of Ryanair, GO, Buzz or Easyjet

Suckling Airways

TonyR
    Participant

I remember a small thick booklet that had all flights worldwide in it so you could use it to plan your journey. Used to carry it with me and consult for options when something went wrong.

[postquote quote=1212277]

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1212364]

Yes! OAG.

ThomasCox
    Participant

62K on the upper deck of a BA 747 🙁

Best seat on the plane, especially when the crew would pour you a glass of the decent wine from First…

Happy days

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mark
    Participant

Collecting up all the airline goodies at airports and onboard and flogging them on Ebay!

huey
    Participant

[postquote quote=1212364]

The OAG! Official Airline Guide, a real little book published monthly I believe. I used to feel like a real bigshot having a subscription. I don’t really miss it, tho, info on the internet is much more detailed and complete.

TonyR
    Participant

OAG – that’s the one. And then they offereda CD version too that I used on my video cassette sized Toshiba Libretto laptop. Those were the days! Glass of Chateau de Chasselas Josiah? 🤣

TupeloKid
    Participant

The huge sign on an industrial building roof as you approached landing at Heathrow saying “Next time Fly KLM”.

FormerBA
    Participant

BA priority Gold bookings using double avios. This has been taken away in recent day as it prices at the Avios plus £1 rate not the old RFS rate.

Barclays upgrade voucher also pretty worthless on short haul as it prices up at Avios plus £1 on reward flight saver rates in Europe. Consequently little if any saving.

TonyR
    Participant

You’ve now got this sign at Gatwick instead – at least for a few weeks 🤣🤣🤣

‘Welcome to Luton’ stunt panics Gatwick Airport arrivals https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-61541224

FormerBA
    Participant

CONCORDE

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls