Theft in first class (?)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Sanran
    Participant

I very recently flew in F Bog-Fra with LH and had an unusual arrival.
    When breakfast was served a person next to me called the attendant to announce someone stole his watch and an envelope with cash from his backpack, which was stored in the overhead compartment. Listening to the conversation, he argued that in the middle of the night he saw like a shadow of someone looking into the compartment, but thought it was a FA. They then searched many time through the seat and the captain came to understand the situation.
    To make it shorter upon arrival two policemen came in, none from the passengers was allowed ti disembark and we waited some 10-15 minutes, during which the gentlemen talked with the victim of the theft and the crew. With the policemen on board the captain announced the fact and that a possible search of the aircraft and all passengers could be ordered. Suddenly, with no announcement (a the watch and cash still missing), everybody was allowed to leave the aircraft. But just imagine if everyone had to go through the search…
    Have you had any similar experience?

canucklad
    Participant

Could possibly understand a theft in “y” or even PE but not in a “F” cabin.
    Unless it’s an opportunist theft, potentially motivated by the victim flaunting his wealth, the risk is just too high for very little return.

My gut tells me that this sounds suspiciously like an insurance scam. If I was a gambling man I’d predict so said watch and cash ,was probably knicked in Bogota and the person couldn’t get a police report so created a fictional theft to get one from German police.

This is probably considered a low level crime, so I doubt the German police had any intention of searching an entire aircraft , nor do I think it would be in Lufthansa’s interest ( if a theft actually happened) to subject their passengers to a search that probably wouldn’t have conclusively proved theft anyway.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Sanran
    Participant

Thanks Canucklad. Me and my colleague thought the same (insurance scam).

SimonS1
    Participant

There does seem to have been an increase in such crime over the last year reported in media, forums and social media. That of course doesn’t mean it is all true.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

As I fly business, so hopefully a reduced theft risk, I always take my wallet and passport out of my briefcase, put said wallet and passport in the seat locker below the window and put my locked briefcase in the bin above.

fatbear
    Participant

When travelling in First/Business with Mrs Fatbear, she has the passports and my wallet. You can make your own punchlines !

rferguson
    Participant

Inflight theft definitely goes on. It’s easy (people tend to travel with valuables and are often asleep physically separated from them). Baggage storage areas are communal (i’ve had to joke with several a passenger claiming that ‘their‘ overhead locker was full of stuff that no one owns the lockers). And the chances of getting away with it are pretty good. As in the OP’s case – who is going to search 300-odd people based on the allegation of a single person of theft?

When I travel I always keep my passport, cash, cards, valuables at seat level with me.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/the-reality-of-in-flight-theft

1 user thanked author for this post.

GoDownSouth
    Participant

Thanks to all this unbelievably helpful advice I will now keep my valuables on me at all times. Cant believe this never occurred to me before. Hopefully more people will chip in to let us know what they do with their personal belongings.

canucklad
    Participant

As this becomes more common, I’d have thought a change in storage protocol would be implemented by airlines.
    Simply, rather than store your carry -on luggage above you, everyone stores in the lockers on the opposite side of the aisle from where you’re sitting .
    Might not eradicate it, but it might make an opportunist thief think twice !

And actually, I’d imagine your average pickpocket and petty criminal is more likely to choose to target naïve holiday makers on a Ryan air flight to Alicante than “F” passengers travelling intercontinental . Mainly because they can book ultra cheap tickets, and in most cases make a quick escape without risking customs and immigration .

capetonianm
    Participant

Without knowing the layout of the aircraft, so this might be unfair, I would say that the cabin crew are not doing their job properly if they can’t prevent unauthorised access to the F cabin, unless the supposed thief was another F passenger, or cabin crew. Both of those possibilities are remote, although there was a spate of thefts on SAA overnight flights which turned out to be cabin crew, obviously the extra revenue from their drug smuggling wasn’t enough!

I have always kept my ‘valuables’ close to me on overnight flights, and I have always used an overhead bin visible from my seat. I am possibly less trusting than most people due to the environment in which I grew up, but I tend to let my guard down somewhat when I’m flying on a decent EU airline in a Premium class.

By the way although clearly thefts on board can happen, and I know someone who was relieved of his wallet and laptop on a ZRH-AMS flight in C, I also think that in this case Sanran probably witnessed a scam.

traveldoc1
    Participant

Part of reason I like Emirates A380 Business. Can place valuables in locker beside the window.

openfly
    Participant

Should go as a warning to all the economy pax who put their bags in the Business Class lockers as they pass through!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

As I have to travel various countries, I keep a reasonably good amount of cash of many countries in my cabin trolley bag. I make it a point to lock it always by scrambling the numbers.

Additionally, if I keep my laptop bag on overhead space, I locked that also with a small combination lock.

A little precaution goes a long way.

And as traveldoc1 pointed out some airlines (including SQ that I travel most) has good space at side in business class to keep passport, mobile and purse during sleeping.

I must say theft from first class and that too at LH is highly unusual. OP didn’t indicate the aircraft type, unless it is A380 (which I have not travelled in LH, so do not know seat configuration), after first is business class. So it is a bit unusual.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Legally the police cannot search every passenger. Perhaps it was said to frighten the alleged crook into disposing of the watch and cash somewhere.
    Another thing I find strange, is that on the 747 and 380 in First, there are lockers on which you can set a combination lock, so why did the pax not use that?
    Finally, when flying LH in F I always remove my watch and glasses while sleeping, and put that with my wallet in the small bin next to the armrest making it impossible to open without disturbing me. Why did he not do the same?

I also suspect it’s a scam.

Sanran
    Participant

For those who asked, aircraft was an A340-600. No lockers. He was in 2K.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls