The way to travel – 1960s style?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Inquisitive
    Participant

Very interesting.

The cost figures in this article shows how the air travel became extremely cost efficient since then.

An economy class ticket from Melbourne to London was still available at £700 pre-COVID from many airlines – and in Australia with minimum wage one can easily earn £1500-2000 by working 150-180 hours per month.

canucklad
    Participant

For those of you who’d love to recreate his journey , may I suggest booking a flight in Air Canada’s 777 ten across crate. Obviously when we;re allowed to take to the air again .
    Then again, our traveller from the 60’s probably still had more room in his box .

Agree with you Inquisitive about the cost dropping to make it more affordable . maybe AC’s cattle class (ironically illegal to transport livestock that tightly) is the unjustifiable price to pay to travel the 4 corners of our planet

2 users thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

Those were the days before scanners, X-ray machines and explosives-sniffing dogs. Now, cargo would be or should be screened and he would be thrown in some sort of US jail and would have to pay for a fine, an ESTA, a Covid test, a mandatory quarantine and one-way ticket but really? Leaving Melbourne for Wales? Melbourne is a lovely town and dare I say the weather is better.

jsn55
    Participant

I too love this story … but the python who travelled Melbourne to Glasgow in the lady’s shoe was equally fascinating. Had it happened to me, I would have died of a heart attack and my estate could have sued the airline … or sued someone. That’s what we DO in California.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls