The Security In Airport is back to 9/11 Level and avoiding US carrier?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

JackyLek
    Participant

Dear fellow Traveller!

I assume everybody know the latest case with a Delta flight from AMS-DTW with a terror attempt. And of course after this the security is up to Orange level at all US airport. This mean double checking, shoes screening and more questions to be answer for people with NON-US passport. What suprice me is that the Schiphol Airport Staff didnt pick the items on this guy. All the time Im flying to the US from Schiphol the security seems to be very good. Well I have a trip to NYC pretty soon and Im prepare myself to the security time back in 9/11. And it seems that the terrorist is aiming for the US carrier and their strong alliance partner like BA and Air France. Maybe I should avoiding to travel with theese airlines to the US, I hope some other members will share some thoughts about my topic. I wish U all a Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year!

StephenLondon
    Participant

And this guy was apparently on the no-fly list…tsk tsk security and pre-screening. And for everyone set to fly in the next few days, prepare for extra-vigilant security checks…
    Better safe than sorry, but seems AMS security were not up to scratch…

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think that allowing your choice of airline to be dictated by a certain terrorist group rather plays into their hands, and delivers exactly the outcome (in the form of economic damage) that those malevolent groups seek to inflict.

I would choose your preferred carrier on the basis of price, comfort and convenience, and remain undeterred by terrorist actions.

All frequent fliers know that it isn’t too hard for anyone to smuggle something on board, especially for those transiting at AMS (as the suspect was) which has a fundamental security loophole which is widely known about.

That aside, in most cases the very tools needed to inflict harm are already present on board the aircraft itself.

So I don’t see anything new here, and the ridiculous shoe carnival and toothpaste confiscations will escalate so the bureaucrats can say they did all they could, and cannot be sued.

I don’t really blame security at Amsterdam for not discovering the items on his person, notwithstanding the structural loophole in their screening of transit pax. Profiling should have alerted security to take extra care with this guy; as it is the systems for all their much touted sophistication are little better than an excel lookup table.

It is appalling that someone on the at risk list list was allowed to board without additional attention e.g. manual pat down; again it probably points to the ineffectual nature of liquid screening and the no fly lists.

What was encouraging was that the passengers themselves rose up to report quickly their suspicions, and supported the crew in taking action to subdue the individual.

Direct passenger action is the surest way to thwart terrorists’ intentions.

VintageKrug
    Participant

http://www.heathrowairport.com states that US bound pax now must only carry on one bag; meanwhile BAA T5 Security is applying the one bag rule to EVERYONE.

If you are travelling in coming days exLHR, best to keep hand baggage to absolute minimum, whatever your destination.

Wisely (and I would suggest we continue this approach) the security loophole at AMS has not been posted publicly on the internet, but it has been widely alluded to online and I would be interested to see whether that played a role in the most recent incident.

Here was the FT thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-safety-security/868255-ot-possible-security-loophole-ams-other-similar-airports.html

MarcusUK
    Participant

What is the “Structural loophole in security” at Schipol?

Transit passengers must clear a full security clearance at the gate of departure, unless they go in or out of the Schengen area, in which case it is the same between the zones, with full passport / Visa checks also.

LHR have one security /screening point. Schipol have on entry to each Terminal, then between Shengen & other, as well as screening at many of the gates. Often you have to go through 2 security checks, it remains one at LHR, never at the gate.
    I haven’t had my passport checked at LHR by any immigration official for 2 yrs! Neither have I seen a security check at any gate. LHR is more open than Schipol?

When the “Chemical alert” brokes a few years ago at LHR, Schipol did not have to change security systems as they had double the checks, & 12 times the security staff personnel, so the airport kept open running, whilst LHR & its British Airlines closed down or cancelled operations.

Clearly this is very concerning for all of us that travel, again, though i am unsure of the origin/ motivation of this incident. Then again how would could we secure all travel…trains, tubes etc are all highly vulnerable. The public can still walk up to gates from the street at some US Airports, for domestic flights, as can they walk into & up to the baggage halls in arrivals!

Bearing in mind the numbers of passengers through the EU Airports each day, generally they are doing a terrific job…

Expat_Consultant
    Participant

It is quite clear to me that the US is a place to avoid, unless absolutely necessary.

I cannot think what would make it absolutely necessary (for me) to endure the pain inflicted on innocent travellers, sure it is their bat and ball, but no one has to join in, unless they want to.

I would not accept work across there and that is saying something for a consultant 😉 They certainly won’t be getting any leisure travel from me in the foreseeable future.

watersz
    Participant

It will always be a cat and mouse game , with security,
    it will take time but full body scaners will become the norm just as soon as logistics can get them in place in major airports

I am surprised no-one has tried thier luck smuggling a ceramic pistol through the metal dectector before now.
    As for the alleged bomber , his internet blog states how lonley he was , well the way things look at the momment the next 50 years in a supermax solitary cell may wipe the smirk off his face

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls