The Mystery of CIV scoring

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

In part, I think the CIV score enables Customer Services and also cabin crew to recognize the “I am a very important passenger” syndrome that we all on occasions claim to be. Service delivery in all classes should be equal, but when things do go wrong, it is only natural for Customer Services to work that little bit harder for proven regular customers, although some may not necessarily agree…

Perhaps if Virgin used a similar system, I would not be in the position I am in today, whereby travelling in Upper with Master S, the reserved seats we had have been changed, without any explanation.

EDIT – 6A and K now available and I no longer even hold a red card with VS…..

StephenLondon
    Participant

The CIV score is something for internal use at BA, not something a customer is automatically advised of (unless a helpful iPad bearing CSD/CSM shares it via their iPad per customer request). It is not something crew use to determine levels of cabin service – the service routines are written for all customers in each class of service.

I doubt customers will ever know how CIV is calculated, but then again, why should we? This is for internal use only.

Where CIV does matter, perhaps, is when rules need to be slightly bent to accommodate an unusual request, and the agent sees the pax is of commercial importance to the airline.

I was on a US carrier once when they needed to bump pax forward from J to F to accommodate some pax from a cancelled flight. The ground crew came on board and spoke to the man in front and told him that since he had flown the most miles thus far in the year, he would be moved to First. And then they went to the next highest number of flown miles pax and upgraded, etc. I guess most pax felt this was relatively fair.

Were this BA (and I believe upgrades due to oversales are handled differently than the US carrier above did), they would revert to Prems/Golds/Silvers/Bronzes and prioritise within those levels based on CIV. Seems fair to me.

I agree with MartynSinclair in that it aids crew when pax are having a strop, screaming how important they are to the airline, etc. – in one swift move senior crew can easily see how commercially important a customer is and can respond accordingly…not that being a good customer excuses poor behaviour whatsoever.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“…not that being a good customer excuses poor behaviour whatsoever.”

I think being asked to sit in this seat, with the reading light hanging on by the wires, with the bin sealed with tape and water stains on the side from condensation, would excuse a lot of behavour 😉

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qabewub72ojuc3t/v3kaABDQ5v

HongKongLady
    Participant

You were lucky to have yours taped shut. I discovered several pieces of bacon yes bacon and tin trays in my overhead locker after I landed in HK. Luckily for me it didn’t stain items I had put in the locker. I think I will now have to clamber on the seat to peer into the locker to check for cleanliness before I put stuff in it as well as doing the same to check I haven’t left anything behind.
    This was in First but it shouldn’t happen in any class, it was quite obvious given the trays that it was done by crew or cleaning staff. WHY ? I have no idea.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

HKL

I’m pleased to say that I was not in that seat – frankly, I would have refused it.

My last F trip was in a 777-300, so was pretty new and clean, but the service was more like WT, e.g. three call bells ignored over a 10 minute period, when I wanted a drink of water and couldn’t go to the galley as the belt sign was on in slight turbulence.

Very half hearted.

Flyboy18
    Participant

Whether your in First or WT those calls bells should not have gone unanswered/missed…I hope you said something to the CSD.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

FDoS – the middle picture of the light hanging by the wires – that does not look very safe at all..

I remember my late father sending an aircraft to maintenance when the cigarette lighter didn’t work – not that he wanted a cigarette (non smoker) but was concerned if there was a loose wire somewhere … behind the flightdeck…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

scott72 – 12/08/2013 11:14 GMT

I did and he handled it very well.

wastedlife
    Participant

All I know about this is that I hit 97 back in 2008 when I reached the GGL had done a particularly insane period of travel, followed by three months of being invited to BA sponsored lunches and parties. Which was nice.

However, last time I asked – December last year – I was still at 97, despite not travelling anywhere near as much as 07-09, and dropping off the GGL in 2010/11. Reckon I still get UG about 50%-60% of the time from J to F, despite now buying non-flexible tickets.

SimonS1
    Participant

@Onslow

My apologies if you considered it personal.

I can see that a thread on how CIVs are calculated, however the need to broadcast to the world that your CIV is 92 comes across as quite self-indulgent.

It seems after a couple if pages no-one really you can improve your own CIV. However you have suggested a few ways yourself. Principally by qualifying for GGL (the criteria are on here somewhere) or become a travel buyer for a major account.

Swissdiver
    Participant

First, I am amused to see many complaining about CIV while in our respecting businesses, we probably all know the importance of segmenting!
    Then, I agree with LP: a First passenger is a First passenger when it comes to services. I am fine with the idea paying pax are choosing first what they want to eat before free upgraded ones as long it is done properly. So here, CIV should not play a role. And honestly I don’t think it does. Now, yes, Roger Moore will always have more consideration than other pax. But this is human nature. (on a side note, I think it is really wrong not to allow non-Gold member to select the seat they want as it is the case on LH and LX even against an extra-fee).
    When it comes to operational upgrades, priority to get a seat when a flight is fully booked, … CIV does absolutely make sense. More sense anyway than getting an upgrade just before you ask for it (been there, done that, loved it, but objectively it does not really make sense).
    Other airlines certainly have something similar. If you fly AF for instance, and there are operational upgrades, staff is telling you “the computer decides”, i.e. just another algorithm.
    Flying regularly with BA, I’d be interested to know my CIV. But I never think about asking 🙂
    Have all a great week-end

pdtraveller
    Participant

SL 12/08/2013 08.12

The CIV score is something for internal use at BA, not something a customer is automatically advised of (unless a helpful iPad bearing CSD/CSM shares it via their iPad per customer request). It is not something crew use to determine levels of cabin service – the service routines are written for all customers in each class of service.

But it is used precisely to determine levels of cabin service. When there are insufficient meals loaded the crew use these scores and card held information to determine who gets first choice. This information should never be in the hands of crew is they use it all too crudely.

I have just flown F domestically in the US ( which is no great shakes for F but a pretty solid domestic business class ) however seated in row 1 was advised by crew that they take meal orders from the rear of the cabin and apologised if my choice was not available by the time I was served. This information was then relayed the platinum executive holder seating next me, the highest level in the FFP. Of course neither of us had to worry as many had pre ordered and so missing out on you first choice choice was highly unlikely.

CIV is undoubtedly useful to customer relations but should play no part in the on board experience.

fDOS…. Those pictures are appalling. £3000 one way and you get that!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Pdtraveller, you can avoid that experience by remembering the FEBO rule. Service starts at the Front on Even numbered flights and the Back on Odd number flights.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls