The most ridiculous airline safety video ever?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

Hardly ridiculous, Rebecca, getting attention for something which is clearly very important but is widely ignored by many passengers. Air New Zealand are a breath of fresh air in what is frequently such a staid area.

My favourite is this one, now sadly withdrawn!!

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/03/78-year-old-grandma-streaks-on-an-air-new-zealand-plane/148623/1?csp=34travel

From experience, despite the levity, Air New Zealand take safety very seriously and never err in meeting their commitments.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

All I can say is it is wonderfully entertaining and certainly grabs your attention – even to this jaded travellers!

Congratulation to ANZ for always rolling out fresh ideas, be it their Sky Couch or this safety in-flight demo.

Small country – Big ideas!

Rebecca: Are you a prude?

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

I think it’s hilarious – keeps passengers’ attention whilst informing them of the safety features on the aircraft and the procedures to follow in the event of an emergency. Top marks to ANZ for this refreshing take on the monotonous safety demonstrations we’re used to.

Rico, the new ‘mascot’ for ANZ has done several promo videos for the new ANZ product including the new Space Seat in Premium Economy, which are equally as amusing, worth checking out (though maybe not you Rebecca!)

RebeccaBallatine
    Participant

I just don’t think safety should be joked about. If that makes me a prude then so be it.

continentalclub
    Participant

For the avoidance of doubt, and though the video may indeed be shown on some flights, this type of presentation is almost exclusively about viral marketing.

There’s no evidence whatsoever to suggest that comedy safety demonstrations achieve any greater depth of audience engagement on average, and anecdotally there is much to suggest that they actually encourage some to switch off completely.

Having taken part in an emergency evacuation as part of an airport recertification exercise, and having also undertaken a commercial SEP (Safety & Emergency Procedures) course, I’ve personally become increasingly averse to anything that mixes gimmick and safety.

It is, however, a relatively cheap ad campaign and has already served the purpose of getting people talking, to which this thread is itself ample testament.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Rebecca: There is a very serious passenger in-flight security message behind the funny Kiwi “Nathan Lane” farce!

For those who can see through the humour!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Just watched the video again. It might be a tad too “queer” for some!!!

NTarrant
    Participant

I think one has to consider the culture of the airline and the people that they serve primarily. I think there would be an uproar if say BA were to show a simular type of video.

The initial showing would attract more attention by human nature, but after a while it would get boring

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

It would certainly raise a few eye brows in the normally conservative East Asia as well as Singapore!

Possible in the North America too!

Recordman
    Participant

I think it’s a highly innovative idea and is very likely to receive passengers’ attention. BA could copy the concept and what a wonderful resource they have available to them through their participation in Red Nose Day. I agree that seeing the same one would get boring, so they would have to make say a dozen different ones so that the chances of seeing the same one twice is reduced.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I force myself between 80 to 100 times a year to watch airline safety demo so as not to appear to be complacent.

I support any innovation from airlines to attain the attention of passengers from first-time flyer to road worriors.

It can be fun and entertaining but with out loosing the important safety message.

Henryp1
    Participant

I think that this is terrific and very Kiwi, will certainly get my attention and really dont feel as though its a joke, as it does deal quite clearly about the safety aspects of flying. I too watch every demonstration just in case something has changed and also to be polite when crew are involved. Henry

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The safety message is clear, serious, very direct and straight forward. All the safety demonstrations are very well shown. Its the delivery thats very different and it has obviously worked very well cos the BT forum is where the action sits………….ROCK ON!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls