The Most Brainless CC action I have witnessed in 40 years of business travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

B777 – first row of premium economy after bulkhead.

Flight Attendant decides it’s a good idea to push a trolley through the passengers leg space and asks them to move their stuff on the floor – they also have to retract their foot rests.

She got halfway across, before the SCCM happened to come through the curtain – I have never seen such a bewildered expression, followed by a direct instruction to stop, retreat and go to the galley.

I hesitate to think what would have happened if the aircraft had hit a bump and the trolley had fallen onto someone’s leg.

Even more surprising was that the passengers followed her instructions. Frankly she would have got a very direct refusal from me, I value my legs too much to have a heavy trolley side on and in close proximity.

It’s one thing for them to forget to offer drinks with lunch, but this…….

2 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I imagine that, sheep-like, passengers felt obliged to follow the instructions of a crew member, however halfwitted the instruction might have been.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=895138]I imagine that, sheep-like, passengers felt obliged to follow the instructions of a crew member, however halfwitted the instruction might have been.[/quote]

Compliance to an authority figure, seemed like it.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=895066]Flight Attendant decides it’s a good idea to push a trolley through the passengers leg space and asks them to move their stuff on the floor – they also have to retract their foot rests.[/quote]

Surely that’s what the galley is for? Was the FA trying to get the trolley across to the other aisle?

capetonianm
    Participant

That’s what I wondered. I had to read the comment twice to make sense of it, and then it didn’t make sense that an FA would do that.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=895170]

Flight Attendant decides it’s a good idea to push a trolley through the passengers leg space and asks them to move their stuff on the floor – they also have to retract their foot rests.

Surely that’s what the galley is for? Was the FA trying to get the trolley across to the other aisle?[/quote]

Yes, she was trying to get to the other aisle.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=895172]That’s what I wondered. I had to read the comment twice to make sense of it, and then it didn’t make sense that an FA would do that.[/quote]

It sorta makes sense if you disregard the safety implications (or don’t think about it) and the push back to the galley is probably 30 metres, meaning you go 30m, then through the galley and another 30m up the other aisle, to get to 4 seats across from where you started – much faster to go straight through the pax legroom.

You should have seen the SCCM’s expression!

rferguson
    Participant

PLEASE report FDOS. To BA and CAA. This kind of action is insane and extremely dangerous.

Although Mixed Fleet do not have the same level of experience as us oldies we are all still trained to the same level safety wise and all have to pass the annual safety exams.
    This crew member needs to be sent back to safety training.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

RFerguson

The SCCM was on to it like a flash and spoke with me later – she’d been on the fleet for less than 10 days.

I don’t wish to report it, as the SCCM would probably get some flak from it and that isn’t fair, as he can’t be responsible for what is a training failure – I don’t know what the SCCM did, but I suspect she might be on the way back to some form of training, he certainly took instant action and didn’t try to pretend it was anything other than a big fail.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=895174]It sorta makes sense if you disregard the safety implications (or don’t think about it) and the push back to the galley is probably 30 metres, meaning you go 30m, then through the galley and another 30m up the other aisle, to get to 4 seats across from where you started – much faster to go straight through the pax legroom.[/quote]

To Fly To Serve. From a customer service perspective it makes absolutely no sense inconveniencing passengers and risking an accident to save a 60m trip. This was either laziness or lack of awareness or lack of basic training or stupidity. Well handled by the SCCM.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=895358]

It sorta makes sense if you disregard the safety implications (or don’t think about it) and the push back to the galley is probably 30 metres, meaning you go 30m, then through the galley and another 30m up the other aisle, to get to 4 seats across from where you started – much faster to go straight through the pax legroom.

To Fly To Serve. From a customer service perspective it makes absolutely no sense inconveniencing passengers and risking an accident to save a 60m trip. This was either laziness or lack of awareness or lack of basic training or stupidity. Well handled by the SCCM.[/quote]

I think it was probably lack of awareness/lack of training. Not acceptable, though.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Trouble is Cabin Crew have so much power that the next thing you know you’ve been reported for disruptive behavior and not obeying a crew member, and risk being hauled off in irons on landing! I admire your bravery FDOS and anyone else who would complain but I’d likely keep quiet and hope nothing goes wrong, or else move to the bathroom while the maneuver is carried out!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=895902]Trouble is Cabin Crew have so much power that the next thing you know you’ve been reported for disruptive behavior and not obeying a crew member, and risk being hauled off in irons on landing! I admire your bravery FDOS and anyone else who would complain but I’d likely keep quiet and hope nothing goes wrong, or else move to the bathroom while the maneuver is carried out![/quote]

I agree you have to be careful these days, however in this instance, the action was clearly unlawful (you are required to operate an aircraft safely and this action was clearly unsafe) and if needed I’d escalate to the capt, who is ultimately responsible. A BA captain would take a very dim view – despite my overall dim view of the company, I do holder their aircraft commanders in s high regard.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls