The holy grail of luggage

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• Anonymous

stevescoots
    Participant

As some of you know I am in manufacturing, figuring out how stuff works, or can work is part of what I do. For years i have been thinking of the perfect luggage (if such a thing can ever exist) and after packing again yesterday I finally decided to get it up on the design board.

Question is, what would you be prepared to pay for 1 piece of luggage that does all your needs, a full size hold case and carry on in 1, can survive 30ft drop with 30kgs in, yet still pass as EU carry on. over £500? over £1000?……over £3000?

oh, ad could tick Martyns boxes from another thread.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Great thread and to help, will copy my pick list from the other one…

** hard shell
    ** brightly coloured so it stands out on the baggage belt(ideally orange or yellow)
    ** 1 bag must be cabin bag approved the second larger case for check in
    ** in built GPS tracking
    ** in built mobile phone charging
    ** good wheels

One design question, how many people feel a lock is useful. Personally, I never lock a case, don’t see the point, especially when travelling to the States..

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Hard shell with 2 completely separate areas inside so that worn clothes can be kept away from clean.

Agree on bright colour- mine is very bright red & easy to spot.

4 sets of wheels & strong extendible handle.

A ‘slot’ built in where FF ID cards can be inserted so as to do away with the bag tags which inevitably get broken.

Space to insert owners name (Samsonite used to do this)

Double zip system that allows the bag to expand slightly when over packed.

svallis
    Participant

I backed Trunkster on Kickstarter. Hard sided carry on with GPS tracking, phone charging and four wheels. They raised 1.4 million so clearly there is a market for this kind of luggage. With regards the GPS, there are products available now that are arguably more useful than something in-built such as pocketfinder that can be moved from luggage to golf clubs to skis etc, depending perhaps on the highest value item you’re traveling with.

Charles-P
    Participant

Linking with the other thread I can make a contribution here. My travel is extensive but often no more than two to three days at a time so the Gate8 product appealed to me and I bought their three day traveler product about four months ago and have used it nearly every week since then. My feedback is almost entirely positive, I find suits and shirts emerge tidy and pressed after a six hour flight with no problem, the zip off laptop bag is very convenient and I find the bag fits easily into any overhead bin including the smaller ones on the BAE 146 and the Fokker 50. I don’t deny the product is expensive ( I thought long and hard before buying) but so far it has worn superbly and shows to have been well made.

nmh1204
    Participant

I think it would be a great idea to have a very lightweight metal, that’s also very strong. Rimowa damages easily, and is rather heavy.

Another idea would be to have the locks or clasps made of something that can’t be pried off with a crow bar.

I’d also like an alarm of some sort that can be switched on with your phone in case someone tries to steal it.

I agree with seasonedtraveller, a slot for ID is essential, it stops it getting caught up in the belt or stolen.

I like the 6 wheels used by Zerohalliburton, but the cases are stupidly heavy, around 8kg. I think its a great idea to have the 6 wheels – 4 to spin, and two to roll it like a normal two-wheeled case.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

“strong & lightweight” metal are sadly almost contradiction in terms but some of the “body armour” plastics/composites could work well. The need for bright colours is a bit OTT – in the good old days of ocean liners your initials were boldly drawn on the trunks – not pretty but effective for recognition.

Like very much the suggestion of dual compartments (seasoned traveller) but wheels are definitely not needed – (sorry ladies) more weight & more cumbersome – ITS A CARRYON even if it weighs 15 kilos! Zip away straps (no padding) are simple and compact.

Slide in sections (like decent backpacks) for documents/laptops etc are essential & I like the idea of GPS tracking (MartynS) though if you go anywhere interesting, even now there is no point in relying on mobile phone connectivity (no charger for me).

A major problem is the vast variety of airline requirements – forget IATA – max height is 48 cms for some, 50cms for many, 55cma for most (IATA)…equal nonsense with width and thickness so we are sadly stuck with the minimum on all dimensions SO make the most of it & don’t mess about with silly curvy designs.

At least if you look relaxed and easily slot the bag into the cages to check size, the goons may forget about checking the weight

Frankly if you can’t do a months photoshoot trip with a bag like that you don’t know how to travel light! – BUT, of course, I’m not packing a good business suit though that could go more comfortably in a hold bag.

nmh1204
    Participant

Good ideas, Peter.

I agree that curves are silly, and they’re a pain too.

As for size, airlines should have a standard across every one, it’d make life easier, or maybe the bag could either expand (if soft-sided) into different sizes, or if it’s a hard-sided suitcase, maybe have some sort of ‘morphing’ mechanism?

Wheels aren’t necessary on carryon, i agree. For large suitcases, it’s a help for me.

Bright colours aren’t needed unless your design is the same as the thousands of other black cases. If it has a unique design, it should be instantly spottable, regardless of whether it’s black or bright heliotrope.

Its a pity lightweight and strong metals are a contradiction, maybe some sort of polymer made with metal could provide the strength, and the other materials could make it lightweight?

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I am sorry to disagree with the last two posts on one point, but….

Wheels are essential for some of us. Disorders of the elbow and shoulder joints are sometimes related to carrying heavy bags (we are not physiologically or anatomically well adapted to standing upright, let alone to carrying heavy things). Yes, this is special pleading from me, my bilateral tennis elbow and unilateral frozen shoulder both being made better by getting a bag with wheels, but I have diagnosed the same problem in others and cured them with the wheelie bag prescription.

stevescoots
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    Most comments are concerning carry on but also migrate to hold luggage. What I am trying to look at is, if possible, is to create the Optimus prime of luggage, transform from carry on that meets EU size restrictions to full size minimum 80L capacity, but meets all the requirements above either as standard or optional modular extras. For those trips where you go out travelling light, but know you will be coming back with more than you went with, to save lugging an empty full size on the outbound or buying another case while there. As I and many I know have done before. There are some already on the market but do not offer the ideal strength/light weight ratio and ability to survive multiple trips. They tend to be designed for tourists.
    Colour identification easy to solve by way of panel inserts, as is the luggage tag (having just lost my 6th one this year!)
    Martyn’s comment about not bothering to lock as TSA will destroy it is valid and that’s easily solvable with a replacement lock carrier that can be easily changed by the owner from the inside only once TSA have had their fun.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Perhaps rather than an “external lock”, which does attract attention, perhaps the designers could create an internal secure area within the case.

I would be interested to learn what high value items are placed within checked luggage that would be of use to anyone else. In my case(s), it would probably be suits, shoes and my electric razor. Anything of value goes into my hand luggage..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/space-case-1—the-worlds-most-advanced-line-of-smart-luggage-set-to-launch-june-1st-300087833.html

This was meant to have launched yesterday. I have no idea whether it has, but seems to be an ideal case, except for the finger print lock.. that will go down well in the USA…

stevescoots
    Participant

it seems to be more about software than hardware.

•Smartphone app WHY?

•Biometric fingerprint locking for up to 5 travelers. AS MARTIN SAYS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls