The Film 'Sully" – the landing on the Hudson river of flight 1549

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

I was lucky enough at the weekend to see the new film ‘Sully’ which details the events around the successful landing on the Hudson river of flight US1549 by Captain Chesley Sullenberger. A thoroughly enjoyable film that gives an interesting insight into the post event investigation and the PTSD suffered by Sullenberger.

For people with an interest in aviation, the skills required to fly an aircraft in emergency situations or just anyone who likes a ‘feel good’ film I recommend it.

Wai Wah
    Participant

Check Youtube, there are many many videos about flights and aviation, from most dangerous landing to sitting in the pilot seat flying from Frankfort to San Francisco. You name it. Quite fun! Enjoy!

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Charles-P – thanks for the short review, it’s on my list. I think UK release is 2 December, my local flix has just got “coming soon”.

Wai Wah – yes, YouTube has a vast library of videos/repeats of aviation-related tv programmes. I’ve watched the FRA-SFO one. There’s also a good Concorde one, not to mention the thrill seekers at St Maarten and Skiathos…..

peter19
    Participant

I went to see this film a couple of weeks ago and thought it was really enjoyable. There were a couple of bits I thought ‘that wouldn’t happen’ (pre ditching parts of the movie) but really enjoyed the post event part of the film as Charles-P has highlighted and the way human aspects relate very importantly. Very valuable in a pilots profession but i think it relates significantly well to others as well.

I Won’t say much more and I was trying to be careful with words for those who have not seen it until its released everywhere. I would also recommend it.

Charles-P
    Participant

One of the most positive things that came out of the event was the ability of the major Flight Simulator manufactures like CAE and Thales to update their data packs so they can now offer training for real life ditching and bird strike situations.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=769247]One of the most positive things that came out of the event was the ability of the major Flight Simulator manufactures like CAE and Thales to update their data packs so they can now offer training for real life ditching and bird strike situations.

[/quote]

Fully agree Charles, and thankfully no-one was killed or badly injured so again this should make flying safer for everyone.

However had the world gone with the brilliant engineer, Bernelli, designs, we would have planes that could safely land on water in an emergency where the whole fuselage became part of the wing generating enough lift to carry a considerable payload.

Shame I can’t post a picture but google Bernelli CBY-3!

Charles-P
    Participant

Luganopirate – Reminds me of the Saunders-Roe SR A1, a prototype flying boat fighter aircraft that was also designed to have a retractable undercarriage for land operations. It has the note of being the very first aircraft to be fitted with a Martin Baker ejector seat (which we knew in the RAF as a ‘Bang Chair’ )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It looks a formidable machine Charles. Must have been fun to fly?

I see the picture did attach. I wish the Bernelli had gone into commercial service and I wonder how it would have evolved in today’s jet age?

conshaldow
    Participant

LuganoPirate – that aircraft looks quite literally like a speedboat on wings. Fantastic looking contraption. So many what-if machines over the years that you have to wonder would have been like today had they been given the green light.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Went to see “Sully” last night and wanted to sit through it again immediately (unfortunately they don’t let you do that these days!).

The usual stance of blaming the pilot was certainly turned on its head. It’s still hard to believe that everything happened within such a short timescale. Even credits at end were worth watching, seeing the passengers meeting with Capt Sullenberger and his crew. Tried not to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

Next time, yes there will be a next time, I’m going to one of the more modern cinemas to see it on a bigger screen with better sound. Local flix did its best but…..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m looking forward to seeing the film as well, though I guess the ending is not really a surprise?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just wondering if this will ever be an in-flight movie?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls