The fattest person I have ever sat next to…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

This is a wonderful thread, thanks all!! Perspectives on weight and travel change significantly with personal circumstances. I have lost alot of weight (over 70 lbs) over the past year and so, of course, stand firmly on the side of punative penalities against the grossly overweight when travelling!! Seriously, maybe the thing to do is to tell the overweight passenger who dumps him/herself next to you about the real benefits of smaller size when flying – fitting easily even into the narrowest, LCA seats; being able to put your shoes back on while remaining seated; passing crew and fellow passengers in the narrowest aisle; and, yes, in hygiene terms, sweating alot less when running for flights etc or boarding in a hot climate. The downside? Being horribly santimonious!!

ryanlaude
    Participant

haha, this is hilarious topic. hopefully it never happened to me.

themikes
    Participant

I love Singapore Airlines and have flown them a dozen times from LAX to Bali. It is obnoxious to limit a first class passenger’s luggage to two pieces under 29kgs. And then to want to charge $400USD for a 3rd bag– I’ll be back on Cathay from now on.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Themikes – interesting comment. However, unless I’ve missed something, I’m lost as to how it’s relevant to this thread…..! Mind you, we’ve veered away from the topic already several times already, so what the hell does it matter?!

By the way, we can’t use the word “obesity” anymore:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8615839.stm

Regards, Simon

Boddingtons
    Participant

POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR

ConcordeBOAC
    Participant

Let us not mince our words here, Boddies, there’s no doubt at all what you are 😉

MartynSinclair
    Participant

i always am a fan of freedom of speach – but when postings are made in the manner of Boddingtoms, I hope that BT, will remove not only the post, but also the author.

NTarrant
    Participant

Quite agree Martyn

bombayteddy
    Participant

This thread is becoming a little annoying. Fat people exist and are a part of life…accept that! So are those who may be fit but obnoxious and/or hygienically-challenged. So deal with it….or charter a plane.

bacrew1
    Participant

Shame I missed Boddingtons reply before it got deleted..

I’m curious as to why generally people feel it’s upto the cabin crew to sort out situations regarding noisy kids/babies?? I have never received personal training as to how to passify young ones….and agree with the poster that mentioned it’s likely to depend on the background of the individual flight attendant….. Agree with the blocked ears comments for young tots..

Also I wonder why we as crew get asked “Can you ask the person in front to put his seat forward??”.. Depending on my workload I “can” have a word, but generally only ask this during the meal service…if too many seats are reclined I tend to make a quick announcement… I am curious as to why some passengers can’t speak to that person themselves??

Potakas
    Participant

I was thinking on my first flights that if i put back my seat i will make it uncomfortable for the person who seats behind me, but if you think about it, it’s ”why i paid a BA ticket and not a ryanair?

Because i wanted to travel comfortable!!

Flight travelling is something like public transport in our days and you have to afford a fat guy or a noisy child in your trip when you travel at economy class (it’s like when you take the bus),

If you want to have more privacy, buy a business or first class ticket (where i believe that the children shouldn’t allowed there) .

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Potakas

Generally I’ve agreed with most of your posts. But I don’t agree with you here.

Please read my earlier posts and also on a related thread about kids. It’s not kids that shouldn’t be allowed in Business Class. It’s a large proportion of business persons, travelling at someone else’s expense and who abuse their position. Not you or I or many others on this thread, I am sure. But you know exactly whom I mean, I am sure.

Regards

Simon

Potakas
    Participant

Simon you are right and i agree with your previous posts, that is up to the parents to control their kids.

In my opinion if you respect yourself and your family you don’t want someone to speak to you and tell you what is right to do (worst when the other person is correct).

But as you mentioned many of them think, that because they travel at business class they are superstars or something else (most of the times without paying from their pocket).

AND THEY DON’T RESPECT ANYONE

That’s why i said that they should not allowed children at business class, Of course this is not fair for you or for someone else who can or better want to control his children.

On my last business class flight a passenger (Heraklion’s Mayor) didn’t want to hang up his mobile during take off. I am sure that he bought the business class ticket with municipality’s money. (He was talking about a football game)

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Potakas, I wish everyone on this Forum said it straight fro
    the heart like you do. You rock, my friend.

Regards

Simon

PS I work a lot for the public sector and I know exactly what you mean. I buy my own tickets, for myself and my family, so I am accountable for my own and my family’s behaviour. Unlike a Mayor, who is answerable to his electorate, who I bet weren’t on the plane to see his behaviour…..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BACrew 1 your post amazes me. When in the past i have been put in a confrontational situation with a pax, its the cabin crew who intervene and say “but Sir, thats why we are here, to help you”. You guys do a wonderful job and pax safety and comfort is what you are paid to undertake. Thats why pax as you guys politely or otherwise. Surely, you didnt think you were just pushing a trolley along the aisle!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls